Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been reading through and as I understand the verison of TeleNav 5.1 won't work ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

BrianFeinzimer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

TeleNav 5.1 on 8830 BT GPS?

Advertisement

I've been reading through and as I understand the verison of TeleNav 5.1 won't work with my bluetooth GPS because it does not have the option, as I've also experenced during use. Alternatives? Also which carrier and version of TeleNav should I use for my VZW 8830 since there is no offical supported version?

Thanks!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: TeleNav 5.1 on 8830 BT GPS?

I dont know if any version will work with your GPS, as I dont have the BB or the service provider. Anyone else?

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

The GPS has been locked down by Verizon on the 8830 so it won't matter which version you try.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i use a Pharos bt gps receiver with the blackberry maps that came on the 8830 and it works well. It took a couple tries for it to connect to the gps once paired but now it takes about 5 seconds to pair and get a location

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

From what Verizon has told me, they will be releasing a version of VZ Navigator for the 8830 closer to the fall

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by BBWrangler
    The GPS has been locked down by Verizon on the 8830 so it won't matter which version you try.
    The built in GPS has been disabled. BT GPS pucks will work though.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

A few of my users who were given the option of upgrading found the idea of using a GPS puck, umm... let's just say "wholly inadequate" sums up their opinion.

We had one user who was waffling between the Pearl and 8800 and when we showed him the compatible GPS puck was nearly the same size as the Pearl, his mind was made up rather quickly.

Our Verizon users were all sold on the 8830 by the international roaming capability above all. I think one asked about the GPS out of the 11 we've done so far. Thankfully, it only took a couple of calls to Verizon to clear up what needed to be enabled for it to work, but the users that have travelled overseas were able to use the device.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

scooter` no está en línea Stack level 1

What about enabling the GPS built into the VZ version of the 8830? Does anyone know how to do that? I'd love to be able to get directions without carying a GPS puck everywhere I go... And I'm not too keen on paying VZ a monthly fee to basically unlock a feature that is already built in.

Thankfully, it only took a couple of calls to Verizon to clear up what needed to be enabled for it to work, but the users that have travelled overseas were able to use the device.
    Sounds like it's a better situation than it was with the 8703e. What did you have to do to get it enabled?

kleanthisa no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by PDUB204
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i use a Pharos bt gps receiver with the blackberry maps that came on the 8830 and it works well. It took a couple tries for it to connect to the gps once paired but now it takes about 5 seconds to pair and get a location
    DITTO........ I use the Pharos BT recvr and it works GREAT. Maybe when Alltel releases the 8830 we can get GPS working properly.

Nevermind -- I misunderstood bbwrangler's message...

RoC1909 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2403CAA5

A few of my users who were given the option of upgrading found the idea of using a GPS puck, umm... let's just say "wholly inadequate" sums up their opinion.

We had one user who was waffling between the Pearl and 8800 and when we showed him the compatible GPS puck was nearly the same size as the Pearl, his mind was made up rather quickly.

Our Verizon users were all sold on the 8830 by the international roaming capability above all. I think one asked about the GPS out of the 11 we've done so far. Thankfully, it only took a couple of calls to Verizon to clear up what needed to be enabled for it to work, but the users that have travelled overseas were able to use the device.
    I don't understand why people would 'count out' the GPS puck due to it's size? I bet that the people you showed it to were not going to be carrying it 'on their person' but instead, have it mounted in a vehicle. While it's nice to have a unit with GPS built in, I would bet that they would take 'the puck' if they didn't have a option at all.

infinitykid no está en línea Stack level 1

I was wondering if anyone knows whether Verizon unlocking the GSM on the 8830 for use with foreign carriers would have any carryover effect on the currently disabled GPS capability?

Katmandoo122 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by infinitykid
    I was wondering if anyone knows whether Verizon unlocking the GSM on the 8830 for use with foreign carriers would have any carryover effect on the currently disabled GPS capability?
    Yes, I know. The answer is no. Unlock your 8830 and you still have no GPS.

I just hope when they finally release VZ Nav that they let subscibers get full access to the GPS chip so that you can easily use third part apps like Beyond 411 and BB Maps, which are entirely different than VZ Nav. But I am willing to bet it is a hardware block which means no built in GPS for VZ 8830s, at least not short of a sodering iron.

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

If you can't download telenav goto ota.telenav.com/ota/sn and see if it will let you download it. I believe you can set a preference in the application to use an external puck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast