My friend just gave me her old 8830 World edition. I am a boost Mobile ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

e2dhlts1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Steps on Activating for Boost

Advertisement

My friend just gave me her old 8830 World edition. I am a boost Mobile customer and would like to switch over my plan to use this new Black Berry - I know not all of the functionality will be there, I am ok with just talk and text. I have seen some posts online alluding to the fact that this is possible, but not any step-by-step instructions on how to do this. Anyone?

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    You won't be able to as Boost Mobile is iden and the 8830 is cdma/gsm. The only way you can activate that berry is if the esn is clean and you use the service provider its for. I know boost has cdma that they phasing out because it didn't do as well as they hoped.

e2dhlts1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Wow! I know what none of those acronyms mean, but it's good to know I don't need to waste my time trying to do anything with it!

Thanks for reply!

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    cdma Code Division Multiple Access. This is what verizion and sprint use in the US. The phones are activated using esn numbers, and gsm is Global System for Mobile communication and that's what ATT and Tmobile use. They activate phones using sim cards. This allows one to swap phones on the fly. With cdma you can only switch phones by calling in or going to your account on the respected carriers website and update the esn number. After that you would have to take extra steps to program the phone. I hated doing that with sprint. Hope this helps clear it up a bit. :-)