Hey all, I will be going to Canada on vacation next week. Any input on ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK

sprint roaming to Canada

Advertisement

Hey all,

I will be going to Canada on vacation next week. Any input on what modifications I should make to my data plan. I am on a BES, with an 8830. Should I activate the sim and turn on roaming?

Any help appreciated.
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    You might be better off asking Sprint. I'm with T-Mobile, BIS; I asked about travelling to another country and they advised me to walk into a T-Mobile store there and get a local SIM card.

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hey chatster, call the international support number 880-226-7212 optn 2.

Tell them to activate international calling on your account, it's free (it's not the $4 international long distance add on) and if you wish, have them switch you to the international BB data plan. This gives you unlimited data-mail-bbmesenger and once you come back you just call back and switch back to what you had before, you get a prorate of the $69.99/month and no charge or contract extensions for doing the switching. Otherwise it's a per kb charge ($0.002/kb) when outside the US if you use data.

Canada uses the same CDMA frequencies sprint uses, so you don't need the sim activated, but since you already have the international department on the line, might as well do it, it is also free. Just have your sim card number ready, found under options>advanced options>SIM card

It is $0.59 per minute roaming in Canada, whether you initiate or receive the call, there is no getting around that. A prepaid SIM will not work since the 8830 does not support the GSM frequencies in north america.

To prepare the phone, open your 'Manage Connnections' icon, scroll to Mobile Network Options
    set 'network selection mode' to automatic and 'network mode' to global (although leaving it on 1XEV is fine as well)
    As far as data services, if you opted not to switch to the unlimited international plan for the duration of your trip, I would keep it off and only turn it on when you want to check email or use the browser since data is always going back and forth on the Berry, those cents per kb could really rack up.

Let me know if you have any questions man

Also, this happened to me a couple of times in Canada, when placing a call I would get a recording saying my device was not registered with the network. I don't know if it was a roaming signal thing or a phone thing.
    What I did was turn the antenna off for a moment then when I turned it back on the call would go through no problem .

Happy travels

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Thanks, ya I talked to sprint about 5 min after my post. I am going to add the international data and I also added the canada calling plan (2.99, then only $0.20 a min...

Thanks for the input!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

No problem, let us know how it goes.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    What part of canada u going too??~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

inc188 no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Welcome to canada. Lol

Cheers