I have just returned from Scotland with my Sprint 8830 World Edition... and once again ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

KFS416 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32C48031

Sprint 8830 International Roaming

Advertisement

I have just returned from Scotland with my Sprint 8830 World Edition... and once again I find myself wondering what I was thinking when I decided to go with Sprint... I travel internationally for business frequently and one way to avoid some of the ridiculous international roaming charges especially when calling from one phone that's roaming internationally to another one roaming internationally is to send text messages etc. While there, I was roaming on Vodafone (UK) and O2 networks, but at no time was I able to send or receive text messages... and since my AIM doesn't work (that's a story for another post) I was basically forced to place a call for every little thing...

I called Sprint International Customer Care and they basically told me that I was just out-of-luck as they don't guarantee anything... Has anyone had any experience with this? Anyone have and tips or tricks I might try (I will be in Norway next month)... I was travelling with people on both T-mobile and Verizon, many with the same model of phone and no one had any problems but me (the only one on Sprint)

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Sprint 8830 International Roaming

Sprint doesnt guarantee you will have data in any country other than North America. Did you by any chance get set up with International Text? Was any of your data working at all? What did you show at teh top where 1XEV goes?

I shouldnt say this, shame on me, but for international travel you are way better with TMO or AT&T, the US CDMA carriers provides almost 0 support for international.

veritus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23CC4F7B

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    Sprint doesnt guarantee you will have data in any country other than North America. Did you by any chance get set up with International Text? Was any of your data working at all? What did you show at teh top where 1XEV goes?

I shouldnt say this, shame on me, but for international travel you are way better with TMO or AT&T, the US CDMA carriers provides almost 0 support for international.
    Agreed. If have an unlocked GSM phone you can purchase a local sim and save tons of money on roaming.

180kid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A1B95A

BUMP

Isn't the 8830 unlocked?

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Yes it is unlocked, however it is primarily a CDMA device, so there isnt much work on the GSM side. Therefore the international support isnt the best.

tstrike no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    Yes it is unlocked, however it is primarily a CDMA device, so there isnt much work on the GSM side. Therefore the international support isnt the best.

Can someone explain buying a GSM chip.... Say if I am going to Norway.. who in Norway would I need to contact in order to get this chip?

I got the 8830 for the same reasons as the thread author thinking that I would be just as international as AT&T

I still ahve 30 days to turn my phone back in.

PIN/ID
    3056468b

You can use your BB without getting another sim card, however if you want to have cheaper rates most of the time you can just purchase a local sim where you are. See here for Sprint rates... www.sprint.com/international

dmokha no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c1eaec

Gosim.com has great chips & very good rates. I use this with my BB when i travel, BUT you loose your bb service when you put in a new sim.