Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nice, thanks for the update. I was very interested to know because this would open ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Nice, thanks for the update.

I was very interested to know because this would open another option while traveling for me.

But then it slowly sunk in that in your situation it seems you will be traveling to india quite often. I find myself traveling all over the place, so the option seems less practical for me. I assume the Airtel account remains open (sans BIS of course).

What I do for now is just before traveling, I call Sprint BB services and switch to their international BB plan, I switch back to the regular plan when I get back so that it is prorated only for the time I use it. I use a traveling (ie prepaid, no data) SIM for phone, so I have to flip SIMs back and forth anyways. There are of course so many ways to go about it. I'm going to start just carring a simple phone just for the prepaid SIM and keeping the 8830 with it's own Sprint SIM just to use for data.

Those voice roaming rates just kill it for me.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

diaz1023 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    when you use the prepaid sim, will it give you a new number or do you just use it to call out and not recieve any? TIA
    Felipe Diaz

BB Bold 9700 (AT&T)

The prepaid SIM will have its own different number, so when it's in you will receive calls made to that number, if you start receiving calls placed to your sprint number and/or receiving email, something is not set up right.

You have to be careful when switching the SIM that GSM mode is selected (and not Global) in the Network manager. Otherwise, if there happens to be a compatible CDMA signal available, the BB will default to that, with the higher roaming rates that go along with it and bypassing your prepaid sim.

Telestial and cellular abroad are two good web places to look for info. They have a lot of choices depending on how many minutes and where you plan on travelling. Let me know if you have any doubts or questions.

gautamnkapur no está en línea Stack level 1
    were you able to get your BB 8830 to work without any issues (by the steps mentioned above).

Who did you have to call to delete your BIS account and once you got to India, did you just pop your Airtel card in , or did you have to call Airtel to get your set up?

I was in Delhi last month and was unable to get even voice to work on my Airtel card. Kept getting "invalid sim card" message.
    Last edited by gautamnkapur; 10-15-2008 at 01:07 PM.

rick325 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by gautamnkapur View Post
    were you able to get your BB 8830 to work without any issues (by the steps mentioned above).

Who did you have to call to delete your BIS account and once you got to India, did you just pop your Airtel card in , or did you have to call Airtel to get your set up?

I was in Delhi last month and was unable to get even voice to work on my Airtel card. Kept getting "invalid sim card" message.
    1. yes, it worked without issues
    2. i called Sprint blackberry support to delete my BIS account
    3. when I got to India, I just popped the Airtel SIM in. It was activated with the Blackberry@899 plan before I arrived. Whatever that is.
    4. sounds like you have an "invalid sim card"

rmaniusa no está en línea Stack level 1

Tethering and roaming with 8830 in India

All:

Thanks for the great info. when using BB 8830 in India. I called Sprint and they offered me a $40 international BB unlimited data roaming additon (since I have the simply everything plan), they mentioned about tethering option for additional $15. Has anyone had experience using the tethering option in India? Is the speed reasonable or is it better to get a separate data card?

thanks in advance for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by rmaniusa View Post
    All:

Thanks for the great info. when using BB 8830 in India. I called Sprint and they offered me a $40 international BB unlimited data roaming additon (since I have the simply everything plan), they mentioned about tethering option for additional $15. Has anyone had experience using the tethering option in India? Is the speed reasonable or is it better to get a separate data card?

thanks in advance for your insight.

It will depend in your needs, length of travel and how deep your pockets are, these considerations combined with where in India you intend to travel.

For convenience and cost considerations, your 8830 would be enough. You can tether, but depending where you are, only at most 1x speeds under EVDO, or GPRS in certain cities (check this link and search for India and the city(ies) you intend to use).

For Speed (cost be damned), you then have to consider the 881U by Sierra Wireless, overseas use only + you have to add the cost of purchase and the cost of international data plan (ask from Sprint how does it work when you are home, if you can deactivate) . EVDO data cards or USB modems will only give you the same functionality in India as the 8830 because of hardware limitations but would give you better speeds at home in the US.

jalo56 no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry 8830, i want to use in India

Quote Originally Posted by rick325 View Post
    1. yes, it worked without issues
    2. i called Sprint blackberry support to delete my BIS account
    3. when I got to India, I just popped the Airtel SIM in. It was activated with the Blackberry@899 plan before I arrived. Whatever that is.
    4. sounds like you have an "invalid sim card"

Hello, thank you very much for posting this info. I have a quick question. I am going India soon and I am planning on taking my Blackberry 8830 to India which i am currently using with sprint.
    1. do i have to activate my sim card here in USA to use with Hutch in India?

2. Do i need to unlock this phone to use Hutch SIM card with this phone?

3. Or should I just follow above listed steps to use my BB 8830 in India with Hutch?

please let me know. thank you very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12