Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all. I currently use an 8830 on Sprint and get my email via BIS ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

rick325 no está en línea Stack level 1

Sprint 8830 and BIS while using a foriegn SIM

Advertisement

Hi all.

I currently use an 8830 on Sprint and get my email via BIS (sprint.blackberry.com).

I am going to be traveling to India. My company has acquired an international SIM card for me (from Airtel in India) that I plan on putting into my 8830 when I get there. I have the Airtel Blackberry plan.

I went to airtel.blackberry.com to register my handset, and it tells me that my device is already registered (duh, it is on Sprint). I checked around, and the normal blackberry (non-Sprint) recommendation is to call your current carrier, have them remove your device from the routing tables, then register with the new carrier.

Is there a better/more sanctioned way to do this (i.e. Have my 8830 be registered with Airtel in India while I am there, then back to Sprint when I get home). I'd hate to pull my blackberry from Sprint's current registration just to have to "fix it back up" 10 days from now.

Thanks.

supaman no está en línea Stack level 2
    They have to release your pin number i.e sprint for you to use it in India.

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    As far as I'm aware, you cannot use a foreign SIM in your WE Blackberry. As it is with Telus, the unit's are locked(don't think they can be unlocked) so only the Telus(in your case Sprint) SIM will work. Correct me if I'm wrong please if someone has gotten this to work. I would love to know for other friends of mine that have that model.

Quote Originally Posted by javatyger View Post
    As far as I'm aware, you cannot use a foreign SIM in your WE Blackberry. As it is with Telus, the unit's are locked(don't think they can be unlocked) so only the Telus(in your case Sprint) SIM will work. Correct me if I'm wrong please if someone has gotten this to work. I would love to know for other friends of mine that have that model.
    Sprint's 8830's have unlocked GSMs. I have used many international (local to where I am traveling) SIM cards for voice, but this is my first foray into data services while abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by supaman View Post
    They have to release your pin number i.e sprint for you to use it in India.
    I just talked with Sprint (first Technical/Blackberry, then Int'l roaming). Neither person had any idea on how to remove my PIN from the BIS-Sprint server database. Any other suggestions?

I am actually wondering if there is any user-initiated (online / via the phone) to unregister the PIN. This would be especially useful, since I am going to have to unregister from Airtel when I leave India, and I am sure I won't be able to navigate that call center too easily!

Quote Originally Posted by rick325 View Post
    I just talked with Sprint (first Technical/Blackberry, then Int'l roaming). Neither person had any idea on how to remove my PIN from the BIS-Sprint server database. Any other suggestions?

I am actually wondering if there is any user-initiated (online / via the phone) to unregister the PIN. This would be especially useful, since I am going to have to unregister from Airtel when I leave India, and I am sure I won't be able to navigate that call center too easily!

Tell them to set the pin to zero in there admin tool.

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Let us know if you are able to make this work. The general consensus is that it is not easy and I have not found anyone in these forums reporting success with a short duration SIM switchover of voice and data.

Good luck

I just tried that and no dice. The person that I talked with said that it was technically impossible from Sprint to remove me from BIS, change my PIN to 0, or even mess with the PIN. I asked for Tier 2 support and she refused.

They don't make this "World Phone" thing easy, do they? Well, I am hopeful that voice will just work, GPRS PAM will just work, and I'll live w/o crackberry capability (or find a way to get my PIN reset).

As an aside, if anybody has a good Sprint PIN/ESN combo I can swap my account to for 5 mins, I bet it would release my "real one"...

[quote=rick325;791563]I just tried that and no dice. The person that I talked with said that it was technically impossible from Sprint to remove me from BIS, change my PIN to 0, or even mess with the PIN. I asked for Tier 2 support and she refused.
    quote]

that doesnt sound right either being dishonest or they have really bad service.

She couldn't figure out how to set the PIN to 0, so instead ended up deleting my BIS account. I still get the same "device already registered" when I try and create an account at airtel.blackberry.com.

When I land in India, I plan on doing:

Options -> Mobile Network -> Start Provisioning
    Options -> Advanced Options -> Host Routing Table -> Register Now

before going to airtel.blackberry.com (in country) to try and create my account.

Why do they make this so god awful hard?!

Quote Originally Posted by rick325 View Post
    She couldn't figure out how to set the PIN to 0, so instead ended up deleting my BIS account. I still get the same "device already registered" when I try and create an account at airtel.blackberry.com.

When I land in India, I plan on doing:

Options -> Mobile Network -> Start Provisioning
    Options -> Advanced Options -> Host Routing Table -> Register Now

before going to airtel.blackberry.com (in country) to try and create my account.

Why do they make this so god awful hard?!
    Success!!!

The steps were:
    a) Get Sprint to delete my BIS account.
    b) Pop the Blackberry-enabled Airtel SIM card in my phone
    c) Land in India and do Options -> Advanced Options -> Host Routing Table -> Register Now
    d) Go to airtel.blackberry.com and setup my account / email addys
    e) Enjoy!

Now to get my BB working as a modem on their GPRS network...

ej
    ej no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    280A5A37
    Wow congrats on that one. I felt like I was goin thru it with you
    wreckless music
    makin the hits

www.wrecklessmusic.bravehost.com

add me on myspace www.myspace.com/wreckless_music

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wow, great Is GPS working? SMS too?
    Keep us posted when you return the phone back to sprint network.

As it is, this is great news for those that want to take their 8830 permanently to a 900/1800 gsm provider.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by huracan View Post
    Wow, great Is GPS working? SMS too?

As it is, this is great news for those that want to take their 8830 permanently to a 900/1800 gsm provider.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    BIS: Works, see my above post for instructions.

GPS: No, the entire GPS functionaly seems disabled. There is no option for using it anywhere in the BB.

SMS: Works great.

GPRS Phone as Modem: Works! Airtel customer support will tell you this doesn't work, but it does. You just have to know that once you are signed up on the Blackberry@899 Unlimited GPRS plan, there is one more step. You MUST call 121 (customer care) and have them activate the GPRS. They will keep telling you to call 7070 (blackberry tech support) and those folks will tell you that it doesn't work. The trick is to call 121, tell them you have a Nokia handset, and ask them to enable the GPRS account.

On Windows, your connection string will be something like:
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com"

On a Mac (what I have), I use a Blackberry 3G script, and use "airtelgprs.com" as the Phone Number (the dial script knows to do **99#1). I believe any UMTS/GPRS script will work, as long as you set the APN to airtelgprs.com.

NOTE: Do *not* set the APN in your 8830 to airtelgprs.com (or blackberry.net). Leave it blank, just like it is for Sprint.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by huracan View Post
    Works great. I called Airtel (in India) as I was leaving the country, and asked them to delete my BIS account. Landed in the US:

1. Options->Advanced Options->Host Routing Table->Register Now
    2. Create a new account at sprint.blackberry.com

And it all works!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast