What does this mean? No one at Sprint, or Sprint BB support seems to know. ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

reemusk no está en línea Stack level 3

Service Center in SMS text options? Sprint 8830

Advertisement

What does this mean? No one at Sprint, or Sprint BB support seems to know. Checked some other sites, they didn't know either.

Searched around here, couldn't find anything.

btw, i was out of the BB game for awhile, but expect me back since i've had my 8830 for about two months now.

anyway, anyone know what the service center in the SMS Text options means?
    a blackberry is a tool. a treo is a toy

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Service Center in SMS text options? Sprint 8830

Service Center means that is the "messaging server" that your messages will be sent trough.
    Each carrier have a unique number for this, and the information should be stored on your sim card.

back in the old days (+10 years ago), it was all about finding the free messaging centrals out there.. oh the memmories

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

I found that plugging my phone number in to this field instead of the call back number would keep my phone number from being attached to the end of my text message.

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3

Sprint doesn't use SIMs, except for the 8830 (and its other world phones) for gsm coverage. But this makes me wonder if this is why people have reported problems with international SMS. Maybe this needs to be set up as well when you plan international travel and need to use SMS with the 8830. Those that have gotten SMS working internationally, what number shows up for the service center? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by huracan; 01-10-2008 at 11:40 AM.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by reemusk View Post
    ...btw, i was out of the BB game for awhile, but expect me back since i've had my 8830 for about two months now.

anyway, anyone know what the service center in the SMS Text options means?
    welcome back - time to update the profile
    they are correct the SMSC is the "mail server" if you will for SMS. It works through the voice channels instead of data.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

billknitter no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Re: Service Center in SMS text options? Sprint 8830

Does anyone know the details behind what SMS capabilities the 8830 have on Sprint's network when in GSM countries, specifically the UK?

I have recieved a lot of conflicting infromation from Sprint International Support, RIM, the internet, my users, etc. I have some users that report SMS does work on their 8830s over in the GSM countries, and some that say it doesn't. Sprint isn't sure if it works or not.

Out of 10s of thousands of these 8830s that are out there on Sprints service, I find it hard to believe that SMS doesn't work.

The point in this thread about the Service Center setting is interesting. I too have nothing in that field on my phone, maybe we need to populate that for SMS to work.

I really need SMS to work overseas for my users. Any help that anyone may have would be appreciated. I would be elated to hear from someone who has gotten their 8830 to send and recieve text in Europe.

Thanks,
    Bill

cheeseandjam no está en línea Stack level 1

According to the support section of their site, "Sprint subscribers cannot send or receive text messages while in an international location at this time"

I spent time in Austria and the UK over Christmas with my Sprint 8830 and can definitely verify that fact.

Now that I am back in New York am I also having issues sending SMS messages back to the UK, most are not being delivered and if they do get through they are often delayed- most annoying! It appears this is a general problem with Sprint in the US sending SMS messages to non-sprint handsets both domestic and abroad.

KFS416 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32C48031
    I can verify that I cannot send or receive text messages while overseas... So far I've tried it in UK (Scotland), Norway, and I'm currently in Amsterdam with no luck... I've called customer service several times about it and they just tell me I'm SOL... At some point while in Scotland I dug up a # for a service center with +47 country code on the internet that was supposedly one of the old-school #'s someone has already mentioned that people used to use for free text messages, hoping that might do the trick (it was worth a shot)... It didn't - and now I can't get it out of that field b/c if you try to erase it and save the changes it won't let you b/c it says that field can't be blank... When I called customer service they told me they don't use service centers so that field should indeed, be blank... All of which just makes a ton of sense!

I too desperately need text messaging overseas as when calling back and forth between co-workers also from the US who are travelling with me basically means the company pays for 2 international calls at once for every single call and could easily be avoided by simple text message...

I give up - personally I think Sprint sucks and probably should not have even attempted to enter the international arena - they're just not prepared to handle it properly...

(Case in point: before you can roam internationally you have to register your SIM card with Sprint - I don't remember the circumstances now, but for some reason I had to call and re-register mine... When I called customer service the automated call routing questions tranferred me out of the international division and when the tech answered I explained the reason for my call and then he proceeded to argue with me for a good 10 minutes that Sprint phones do not have SIM cards... Getting completely fed-up I just told him was correct and that the little white piece that I was looking at in the battery compartment that just happened to be the exact size and shape and was a dead ringer for every SIM card I've ever seen was just a hallucination and I didn't know what I was talking about... Basically I had to just hang up and call back to get someone on the phone who had a few more brain cells)

If you haven't made the switch to Sprint don't do it! If you have already taken a walk on the dark side and have any suggestions for resolving the service center issue I'd be EXTREMELY greatful for your suggestions - I could sure use them right about now :-). Thanks in advance!

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3

Erase everything on the service center field, type a single space, save.
    I know what you mean about csr, I hope the new top guy's fixes start to make a difference.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

cp6169 might know
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b