Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Well...as much as I liked many of the things about the 8830, I took it ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

periopnurse no está en línea Stack level 2

Arrow Returned my 8830

Advertisement

Well...as much as I liked many of the things about the 8830, I took it back to the store for a refund. Had a few probs, ESPECIALLY the background noise & echo making the phone part not a pleasent experience for the person on the other end. My keyboard lights were bad too. Several of the keys were lit really bright, while some others you could barely notice any light passing through. Like others, I had the memory leak issue which caused me to have to remove the battery twice during the 11 days I had the phone (a 'new' experience for a BB, that's for sure).

Tech support told me to return the unit to the store for another. I did that, and tried a test call with the new 'replacement' unit. The background noise was still there, and when I checked the keyboard lighting, there really wasn't any difference between the 'replacement' and my original one. So.....I just got my money back. I'll wait to see if a fix comes out or the next batch of phones doesn't have folks mentioning these problems. I really did like the design & layout....wanted it to work :-)

Here's hoping others experience less problems with the phone then what I had.

Leon

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

ehadden no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B84624

Re: Returned my 8830

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~There are some issues, but I got one and love it, will not go back yo the 8700.

Bubblez0163 no está en línea Stack level 2

aww that sucks...maybe is Verizon's fault? lol j/k good luck on the next

Seanmtx no está en línea Stack level 2

The issues with the call quality is a surprise to me.

I started with a Treo 650 and hated the delay for Bluetooth and the horrendous call quality. Moved to a BB7130....loved the call quality and the functionality of the phone. Too bad it was a big grey brick.
    Went from there to a Moto Q...sleek, sexy....and a shiny piece of dog poo. Horrible call quality, Bluetooth delay worse than the Treo from 2 years previous.

The 8830 I have is one of the few smartphones I've had that isn't a 'Jack of all trades, master of none.' There are a few things I'd change (camera, backlight, etc), but it's by far the best of the 4 I've had. The Bluetooth engages relatively quickly and the call quality is exceptional comparative to the others.

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

Do you have issues with a weak bluetooth signal. If my phone is in my pocket the bluetooth breaks up. Its not the headset as I have experienced this with multiple headsets.

kaleb101 no está en línea Stack level 2

I noticed the call quality sucks but then a friend pointed something out to me. this isn't a normal cell phone in the sense it doesn't flip open. And thats how smart phones are. So when you see people say better sound etc they aren't comparing it to another flip phone but to other smart phones.

Seanmtx no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by kaleb101
    I noticed the call quality sucks but then a friend pointed something out to me. this isn't a normal cell phone in the sense it doesn't flip open. And thats how smart phones are. So when you see people say better sound etc they aren't comparing it to another flip phone but to other smart phones.

What are you talking about??

What difference is there between 'candy bar' regular phones, flip phones, smart phones and BBs? Call quality comes from the components and software inside a phone. It's actual shape doesn't apply.

If you're trying to say that flip phones have better ergonomics, and thus, better call quality....your post is flawed again. Earpieces (Bluetooth or otherwise) are the best in terms of ergonomics.

periopnurse no está en línea Stack level 2

It seems that the problems I had with it are shared by some, while others have no problems at all. After going back to the 8703e, I realize how much I liked the new design of the 8830. Considering going to another Verizon location to see if I can get another 'batch number' of the phone to test the quality. If they've got a working demo, I'll have the sales person call me to see how it sounds while receiving a call. If it turns out OK, I'd probably grab another 8830 right on the spot!!
    Leon

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3

I went from a pearl with Tmobile to a Verizon xv6700-what a pos. I exchanged the xv6700 for an 8830
    Man I love BB software. So user friendly. I was actually very happy for once!!!! I do not recommend anything with windows mobile 5!!!!. ps I have an unlocked pearl for sale in excellent shape only 2 months old. Will sell for $175.00 the cost of my cancellation fee with tmobile. pin 32bf87ed

kaleb101 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmtx
    What are you talking about??

What difference is there between 'candy bar' regular phones, flip phones, smart phones and BBs? Call quality comes from the components and software inside a phone. It's actual shape doesn't apply.

If you're trying to say that flip phones have better ergonomics, and thus, better call quality....your post is flawed again. Earpieces (Bluetooth or otherwise) are the best in terms of ergonomics.
    From my own experience with any type of phone any type of smartphones call quality has never been the same as a normal cell phones. And ive always had the best service there is ne it verizon or airtouch or whatever. So yes thats what I am saying I dont think its the design of the phone exactly. It just seems to be what I notice. When im on my BB I always get asked about all the background noise. Never have that happen on my other cell phones.

So i guess you must be right the components and software inside a smartphone just arent as good as a regular cell phone. And this isnt me bashing blackberry. I love my phone, it does things a normal cell phone cant and a normal cell phone does things a blackberry cant to me. And thats deliver great call quality. Send me message alerts and keeps beeping until i check the message. Not just flash a light that does me no good when i didnt even hear the beep to know to check it. thats just MY opinion. Thanks

siikworm no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Re: Returned my 8830

I'm on my third 8830, and all have suffered from the echo issue and awful background noise.

i'm hoping a fix comes before my 30-day refund window closes.

jmanford no está en línea Stack level 1

I got my first 8830 and it works just fine. I love it.

metalgear79 no está en línea Stack level 1

I also have that 8830. Now from a realistic consumer look of things. the phone is a hit or mis typre of thing as with all new tech toys. so with that being said i love mine but of course there are those damn bugs that have to get worked out. for ex all of my issues are media manager related, it restarts my cpu during sync. and when i lose a signal all together, and get it back i can't make a call or use voice dial. but i can answer a call. so i have to take out the batt to fix. after all that b.s. i called verizon and there will be a fix for these types of problems in the very near future. but knowing to expect these types of thing ease the pain a little. and the great customer services helps also.

ehadden no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B84624

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I am bias when it comes to media on a blackberry. I think on paper it is a great idea. Media files and transferring media can really screw up your device, that is why I tend not to use that feature. I love the 8830 for the software upgrade minus the media!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast