Morning, complete BB newbie here. However, I've been reading up on how screwed the Verizon ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

.ax
    .ax no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Reload OS on Verizon 8830??

Advertisement

Morning, complete BB newbie here.
    However, I've been reading up on how screwed the Verizon customers are on limited options (no MMS / GPS)

I know those options are controlled to the point of never getting them back (MMS service side, verizon blocks MMS from coming through to the phone / GPS disabled most likely by RIM in the OEM install..)

My question is : is there any way to get wifi on this phone?
    Im currently using the 8830 without a data plan but I would like to connect using Opera at home via my wireless router. I read a bit and found that there is wifi capabilities but does this simply mean when you have a BB plan or data plan through your provider? And would reinstalling a different providers OS do the trick to unlock wifi - assuming there is availability on VZW's 8830?

I've played with a few Pearl's and found that they can obtain an IP, does this mean that they can access wireless signals?

Would love to know, simply to do OTA installs and browse from wifi areas, both at home and while I'm out.

Any info would be great.
    Thanks in advance..

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Reload OS on Verizon 8830??

Quote Originally Posted by .ax View Post
    ...My question is : is there any way to get wifi on this phone?...
    The 8830 does not have a WIFI radio chip in it so nothing to unlock regarding that.
    Here are the specs if you would like to look them over.