I recently bought an 8830 for a number of reasons. Mainly because my part time ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

doolin64 no está en línea Stack level 1

Regretting my 8830...help me out

Advertisement

I recently bought an 8830 for a number of reasons. Mainly because my part time job required the need and use of a smart phone. I was sold on the look of the 8830 and the "push email". Which I don't quite still understand. I've been using it for a month and have already been dissapointed for a few reason. For one I pay for Sprint TV but this phone doesn't have it and it would be nice when traveling. My main gripe is the lack of ability to edit and view word/excel/ppt. I'm not quite sold on eOffice, though the Dataviz version looks like it may be the ticket. But it's still not out yet and proven. I didn't realize when I bought the phone that I'd need this ability. Now I'm wishing I had it. I guess I'm looking to see why I should keep my 8830 and not return it within the 30 day window for an HTC Mogul ----I'm a Sprint customer.
    One last gripe...I wish the "ALT" button was over on the right side. Those of us with big hands find it hard to type numbers in an email message holding the "alt" key. For regular phone dialing the numbers are fine. Anyhow...help shed light on me to why I should keep it. Please don't turn this into a Windows mobil bash fest.

Thanks guys, this forum has been great for the short time I've had the phone!

josh33_unc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304045F9

Re: Regretting my 8830...help me out

I recently as n last week traded / sold my mogul for an 8830 and I love the bb, 1st one I ever had, wouldn't go back. U lose wifi and a cam on the 8830, but gain bb msgr, gps with mph speed, a more stable operating system, its just sweet. And both phones sell outright for the same price.both can hold micro-sdhc, so the 4 gb I had in my mogul, I now have in the 8830 and it works fine~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Wifi and Camera aren't important to me. Then again GPS isn't either (maybe b/c I can't get it working). What didn't you like about the Mogul? It's more the editing problem I have.

I wish dataviz would release their product.

A couple of things are really like, is that the phone has fantastic battery life and it great reception.

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Have you ever tried grid magic for spreadsheets it is an excellent program. I would keep BB for just the stability of the OS. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks! I will look into that one too.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

doolin....your right about the ALT

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Give the BB some more time, you'll fall in love with .. ;p

Anyway, to your point.. I too believe that BB needs better support for .doc / .xls and .ppt files.
    Currently you can view them if you recieve them by email, but what if you copy directly to the memory card, you won't be able to access it.

GridMagic CE is a nice program for editing excel files (but also here you can only view /edit files recieved from email, not on memory card), but your still lacking .doc and .ppt. Guess you will need the eOffice for that.

To bad there isn't any simple programs out there to view / edit the files.. most of them are big and expensive.. understandable since they've prolly spent a lot of time making the applications..

Anyway, try to get your needs sorted out with some 3rd party apps. BB is a excellent phone and with the proper knowledge it a small rocket scientist in the pocket ,o

Maybe this application is something for you?
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...d=4&linkid=855

Cheers!
    Last edited by Sci-Tek; 01-16-2008 at 12:00 PM.

I'm starting to see the light. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I agree 3rd party software will be the key.

MeatLoafT no está en línea Stack level 3

Well if you're typing a lot of numbers at a time, you can do numlock by hitting Alt then the left Cap key. Hit Alt again to turn it off. Not exactly a fix but it works for me.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dhyde79 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319FB186

Well, I'm not in the sprint camp, rather with alltel, but, I own both the 6800 (our version of the mogul) and a new 8130 pearl, and they both have their uses, but, with exception of the time my blackberry was dead due to software failure, I haven't really touched the 6800, I don't do much with word and such, but, when I do, I have my iBook and if net is needed, my BB tethers worlds easier than the windows mobile does. The BB wins on memory management, ease of use, reception, battery life, and reliability, the 6800 has over 4 times the on board memory, let's me store apps on the card, and most importantly, I don't have to keep track of one specific USB cable to sync it.... ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cfrench no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Plus - its a bb!

hcheun no está en línea Stack level 2

I too am a Sprint customer, and I was coming from a 7250 upgrading to a Sprint Mogul. When I had the Mogul, it reminded me of all the things i really didn't like about the windows mobile OS. I'm not bashing the mogul, it does have it's great perks like EVDO Rev. A, GPS, WIFI and Camera, along with Stylus touchscreen and full keyboard. But it always either lagged alot or crash on me , and the phone functions were becoming so cumbersome and so annoying with minor glitches (i.e. phone screen would lock up when im on a call, can't dial unless it's keyboard was slided out to expose numbers or tapping the number on the screen with stylus : note that using fingers and lag time made it difficult to make it act like a touch) it was getting too much for me. I swapped back and went to the Blackberry 8830. Yes, the 8830 doesn't have native support to "edit" office files, and yeah, it doesn't have all the multimedia functions of a Mogul , but keep in mind, this is a business function phone more of a multimedia phone. If you're looking for something that can do all the bells and whistles, by all means , go to the Mogul. The Mogul has the processor, memory and multimedia capabilities. It is truly a great phone for someone who wants to use it as a replacement for a computer and be able to just carry around the phone. The Blackberry , and might i add, combined with your corporate email servers (which i think most of you agree is where the blackberry can harness its true potential) shows where it shines. Push means that info gets updated in real time , if not practically almost in real time, and synchronizes all your desktop client email, calendar, contacts and memos with your corporate email. For instance, if i deleted an email on my BB, it will too reflect on my desktop pc because of how the Blackberry enterprise server was designed specifically to work with your blackberry. BIS mail, and it's new improvements reflect this too with your personal web based email like yahoo and gmail. It is not to say, the mogul can also do this via activesync, but in all out honesty, BB is on a java platform that's stable, wont' crash and is just straightforward. If that's not your cup of tea, then as a sprint user, your best bet is a Mogul.

Hope this helps, and again, just so you wont misinterpret my context, I am in support of you as a sprint customer finding the right phone, and not bashing winmo, but just explaining how to understand Bb's!

And if all else, and you do get somewhat persuaded to be a BB user, you can always still wait for the "oh i hope it comes soon" blackberry CDMA curve hehe ;-)
    Last edited by hcheun; 01-17-2008 at 04:56 PM.

gameboy213 no está en línea Stack level 3

Left the mogul for 8830. Best move ever!