I have an 8830we with alltel running 4.2.123os and I was wondering if any of ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

digdoug no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31D73DE7

????question about os'????

Advertisement

I have an 8830we with alltel running 4.2.123os and I was wondering if any of you stackers know if I can upgrade to 4.5. The alltel tech said it wasn't available through them,but I was wondering if my device would accept it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks DD

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Yes, you can download the 4.5 OS from another carrier for your 8830. You'll just need to delete the Vendor.xml file prior to install.

Go up to the "Guides" link and you'll find a step-by-step on upgrading your OS.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    As long as it is available you can upgrade using any carriers OS you just have to follow the instructions found in my sigs how to link and downloading one from another carrier from here.

PIN/ID
    31D73DE7
    Thanks stacks-once again my questions answered very quickly and most helpfully. Thanks again!!

PIN/ID
    31D73DE7
    So the 4.2.196 is the latest available for the 8830world? I read somewhere that someone put 4.5 on their's

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Looks like that is the latest official release out there for your device dig. After a little looking its all i found as well. Maybe someone with the 8830 could tell you more but I am thinking the .196 is gonna be it for now.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    The latest available for the 8830 is stickied at the top of this forum.

~via Lavaberry (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    31D73DE7
    Thanks lava and cowboy-one more question-is it worth it to upgrade? I'm willing to give it a tryni just donkt want it to slow my bb down,which 'upgrade' to me says 'better' anyway

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I agree upgrade should be an improvement. There my be functions that you gain I am not sure since I do not have the 8830. I do know if you wait for Alltel for an official upgrade it could be a while. Ask all the Pearl and Curve owners.

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I am running 4.5.0.101 on the 8830 and it appears more stable than 4.5.0.77 and the ringers and tones come with the release. You will find the HTML email much more pleasant than the hyperlink mess from the 4.2.2.xxx build and you get a nice mouse type pointer with the new web browser. I'd say go for it.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    4.2.2.196 is the latest build for the 8830 outside of beta status. Sprint and one other provider have a higher platform version than the rest of the 4.2.2.196 builds. I know the Sprint release fixed the data connection bug.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    31D73DE7
    So..... What's the final verdict from the rest of you peeps? Should I go with one of the newer 4.5 betas or just go on up to the 4.2.196? All the feedback I'm getting on both ends is good.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I would go up to the .196 and see how that goes and then later if you chose to move up go for it.