Hello... Im a Swedish guy how now lived in Canada for about 3 years.. I ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Dalborg no está en línea Stack level 1

Question qualcomm 3g cdma... will it work on 3g i europe?

Advertisement

Hello...
    Im a Swedish guy how now lived in Canada for about 3 years..
    I just took the step over to try a American phone instead for several Eriksson and Nicias.. (hate to buy a new nokia/sonyericsson how been out on the market for 1 and a half year back home)
    I love my new blackberry and my question is.. on the battery cower on my bell 8830ed Qualcomm 3G CDMA and I have a sim card from 3 (European phone company how only runs on 3g) would my 8830 work with 3 sim card when I go home to Sweden? I know it's not a 3g phone but why does it say 3g on the back?
    thanks

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hello Dalborg. CDMA EVDO is considered 3G technology, your opinion may vary, but that is what it's being sold as
    According to the Blackberry documentation available, when using GSM on the 8830 it is only capable of GPRS (not even EDGE), unlike other GSM only blackberries (8800, 8300, 8100 etc).

There are a few members that reside in Europe and have their 8830 working as a permanent phone with european provider SIMs. They show up mostly to try and resolve problems related to some lack of functionality and it's hard to tell whether they where able to get them resolved.

My understading of the 8830 is that it was built primarily for the American market (Canada, U.S, Mexico, etc) for those folks that want to stay with their CDMA provider and be able to use their blackberries while traveling overseas. Case in point is that, as far as I'm aware, no provider outside of America sells the 8830 as a primary device.

Dalborg no está en línea Stack level 1
    ok thanks...
    3 was the first 3g provider when i lived back home i sweden and i thing gprs was what it was then so it might be enough then... if they havent changed to much...

As far as working I don't think you will have a problem at all.

You just will not get the 3G speeds, that's all.

Take care,

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The 3G GSM speeds I mean.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~