I'm thinking of grabbing an 8830 on Sprints network as a current Sprint subscriber. I ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

newleonne no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a2aaeb

Qn on 8830 and upcoming international travel

Advertisement

I'm thinking of grabbing an 8830 on Sprints network as a current Sprint subscriber. I will be travelling internationally for a few weeks at a time over the next couple months. I have a few questions.

- Can I sign up for the Sprint worldwide blackberry plan $69.00 and cancel / downgrade when I no longer need it? or am I bound to it for the length of the contract?

- I assume the phone is runs off CDMA when on Sprint but has the ability to run on GSM networks. When travelling does Sprint need to provide me with a SIM card configured to my current number for the phone to work on a GSM network? How does the swap from CDMA to GSM take place?

Thanks for your answers

PIN/ID
    24a2aaeb

Re: Qn on 8830 and upcoming international travel

ok...I seem to have found one answer from the 8830 user guide on blackberry.com
    Sprint will have to provide me with a SIM card configured with "world service" to roam on a GSM network.

By inserting the SIM, the 8830 automatically scans for GSM networks. Taking out the SIM makes it scan for CDMA networks.

- I still would like to know if I can sign up for the plan on a month to month basis.
    thanks

Sjjones no está en línea Stack level 1

I am going bermuda this Thursday, and did exactly what you asked without issue, have the $40 changed to the $70 world plan the rep said No problem when coming back to go back to the $40 plan.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Yes you can switch back and forth with no penalties between the US plan and international. Even with the BB sim in place it will search for cdma or gsm. It may be good to just have the phone on cdma while in the US, and GSM while abroad.

PIN/ID
    24a2aaeb

Thanks guys for your help and answers.

One more qn. Can a sprint store program my sprint number to a SIM or do I have to do it over the phone with Sprint?

I will also search the forums and see if I can find an answer

PIN/ID
    24a2aaeb

I called up the number for sprint international 888-226-7212 option 2. The phone will ship with a SIM. All I have to do is call them up and get it activated for international roaming.

Phone should be arriving on wednesday. I'm looking forward to that...

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Yes you will just switch to gsm when you are abroad. Are you planning on using sprint's sim or getting a sim over there?

PIN/ID
    24a2aaeb

I plan on using the Sprint SIM while out of the country..I have another cheap phone I can use for the local SIM cards.

I got the phone last night. I have everything set up including BES which went suprisingly fast.
    I called the international support number and have my SIM activated for international travel as well as added the world data plan to my acct.

Hopefully when I do travel all will work fine...

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Mofolepo no está en línea Stack level 2

You know how you have to call Sprint to unlock the phone for International use... what's to stop everyone from just doing this just in case they ever need it??? Why doesn't Sprint ship the phone with the International use unlocked?

PIN/ID

what about mutilingual support (hebrew and russian)? how would we get these fonts to display correctly on the 8830?

PIN/ID
    3056468b

It is unlocked for international use, you need to have your account set up for internation use, basically by adding an international plan.

ElCamino no está en línea Stack level 3

So if you don't want to use the Sprint SIM, you don't have to call Sprint to use a local SIM where your traveling?