Hello all, I just purchased a brand new 8830 to use on the Bell Mobility ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

peoples_flip no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Problems charging 8830, phone will reboot (PLEASE READ)

Advertisement

Hello all,

I just purchased a brand new 8830 to use on the Bell Mobility network here in Toronto. I must say this phone is amazing and I love it BUT... I'm having issues when charging the phone.

When I charge my phone via the supplied Blackberry AC Adapter the screen will engage and an icon beside the battery shows me it's beginning to charge. Now when the screen goes out the right LED on the phone comes on and the phone reboots. I have completed a battery reset and tried to charge the phone again and it will repeat the above. I completed a "wipe handheld" and the above happens again.

More info....
    So I tried powering off the blackberry and charging it without it being on, once I connect the ac adapter, the red LED comes on and with a few seconds (3~5 sec) the phone reboots into a white screen. I have tried other Blackberry OEM AC Adapter and OEM batteries all producing the same results as above

Here's the kicker....
    When I charge the blackberry via USB connection on my PC it charges up fine without any issues, no red LED's, no rebooting, nothing, it's PERFECT.

Can somebody please offer me some insight as to why this is happening?

Cheers from the T-Dot.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Problems charging 8830, phone will reboot (PLEASE READ)

If you just got it, it should be covered under warranty. Return it and exchange it. It's not worth fighting to figure out why it's doing it - it shouldn't happen.

Take everything to the store, and first ask them to give you another charger - if you're lucky maybe that's the problem and you'll be on your way. Otherwise, they should exchange your device for a new one. Test it while you're there!
    JerryD

bbfelts no está en línea Stack level 1

Do you have a microSD card installed? I had the same problem with my 8830 and found out my microSD card had corrupt data on it. I copied off all of the files and reformatted the card in the Blackberry. Then I copied everything back to the card. I haven't had an issue with the rebooting when charging since!

ajdamac no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c6d491

I had the same problem and took it in and they told me that the mini usb port was loose. There is nothing they can do but exchange it. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dj_rossco no está en línea Stack level 1

For all those reading, I am having the same difficulty as the OP.
    BB 8830, Latest ( as of 3/4/08) OS, Sprint service

Charging on the wall charger or car charger reboots the software, and it continues to do so until I remove the charger plug from the phone. Charging while connected via USB to my Mac works fine. Of course, there are also rare occasions that it works correctly when plugged into the wall.

A replacement phone is currently in transit, but in the meantime I will try to reformat my SD card and see what results I find, or just removing it.

** Update, the SD memory card is most certainly the cause of the problem. Phone charges fine with card removed, but once installed and reconnected to the charger, the software reboots.
    Last edited by dj_rossco; 03-06-2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Update w new info

The reboot problem came back after a couple of days...remove the microSD card it it goes away.

I found another solution. If I turn off Mass Storage Mode (Options - Media Card - Mass Storage Mode Support = Off) it seems to solve the problem and allow me to keep my microSD card in. I haven't had a good reason to use mass storage mode yet anyway, but I thought it was a good feature to have!

UPDATE - If Mass Storage Mode Support is off, the Device Manager/Roxio won't let me get to the microSD card. Guess I'll have to enable it every time I want to add something...grrr...that's not good.
    Last edited by bbfelts; 03-08-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Wow, thank you all for the replies but I have got a replacement device since the date of my original post and it works beautifully... I really wish I could've tried that memory card solutions you all have posted to see if that would have solved the issue.

BTW, what brand is the card and how big is the card?
    --> I was using a "Patriot" 2.0GB MicroSD in mine.

I'm using a SanDisk 2.0GB MicroSD in mine....I'm still having the issue. Maybe I need a replacement? Peoples flip, have you had any issues since you got your replacement?

No issues as the phone was still covered under the warranty

msstep no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had this same problem with an Sprint 8830 that arrived this week. Charging via AC caused repeated reboots. I do not have a SD card, and disabling media card support and mass storage mode did not have any effect. After going through basic troubleshooting over the phone with Sprint, ( which only consisted of re-install blackberry software, and remove the battery for 30 seconds ) they agreed to replace it under warranty.

I'm still under 30 days so I'm going to see if I can get mine swapped as well.

It seems to have something to do with the media card, but its not consistent. Last night it happened again, so I took the media card out - no effect. Then I put the media card back in and turned off mass storage mode - still no effect. I resorted to turning it over (it charges next to my bed) and letting it hopefully get a charge overnight.

Well I got a replacement...everything went well so far - no more reboots!

kmmkay no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    400FFF59
    I had the same problem with my sprint 8830. Obviously its the phone itself. My phone had to be replaced with a new one. Thankfully I was covered under my insurance.