Folks - Whenever i start a text message on my 8830 (with Sprint), I have ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

dominicsavio no está en línea Stack level 1

Problem with text messaging (8830 Sprint)

Advertisement

Folks -

Whenever i start a text message on my 8830 (with Sprint), I have only 160 characters for the entire message (this includes *all* characters).

This is very annoying causemost of the times, I easily reach this limit without finishing my message.

Anyone have any insights into how to rectify this?

I've tried a lot of things and am unable to get to this - I'm really puzzled!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is any way around the 160 character limit, dominic.

The only real resolution if you have to type a long message is to send an e-mail instead.

Are there 3rd party apps that will extend the character limits?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Since Sprint does not offer MMS the only solution I have for this will not work for you. If you did have MMS you could send a much longer message but again I know this won't help you. Unfortunately there isn't any way to expand your SMS text field that I am aware of. Sorry I know this doesn't help your problem but maybe it will for others.

Disappointing but still good to know. How does MMS make this better - just curious cowboy...(and why doesnt Sprint offer it??)

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    If you have MMS you can type just like your sending an email there is no limit as far as I can tell as far as how many characters you can use.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

HolidayDre no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    If you have MMS you can type just like your sending an email there is no limit as far as I can tell as far as how many characters you can use.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MMS limit is 1000 characters I believe...so basically about 8 or 9 SMS messages long

Thanks guys...Ghosh, this 160 character limit with Sprint on my 8830 is very disappointing. Is this the same with other companies as well? What can I *possibly* do to fix this??

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Quote Originally Posted by dominicsavio View Post
    Thanks guys...Ghosh, this 160 character limit with Sprint on my 8830 is very disappointing. Is this the same with other companies as well? What can I *possibly* do to fix this??
    Pretty sure its the same with Verizon. I think it may have something to do with the CDMA networks. Don't quote me on this. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    Pretty sure its the same with Verizon. I think it may have something to do with the CDMA networks. Don't quote me on this. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think you are 100% right on this one reddog because it is also that way for Alltel.