Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I play mp3 attachments from emails? I get a 'file not recognized' message.... BlackBerry 8830 forum

sadust no está en línea Stack level 1

play mp3 email attachment

Advertisement

How do I play mp3 attachments from emails? I get a 'file not recognized' message.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    i suggest sending yourself the direct link...it works better that way
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

How do I do that? I get radio commercials sent to me as mp3's.

camattin no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have my voicemails emailed to me in mp3 format. I can usually listen to them fine just by selecting 'open attachment', then 'play file'.

Which email address are the files going to? Your BB email address or an address you have pushed to your BB?

cfrench no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I am not aware that you can!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by camattin View Post
    I have my voicemails emailed to me in mp3 format. I can usually listen to them fine just by selecting 'open attachment', then 'play file'.

Which email address are the files going to? Your BB email address or an address you have pushed to your BB?

I don't have a BB address, just a work and home email address.

camattin no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sadust View Post
    I don't have a BB address, just a work and home email address.
    If you have a work address then you're on BES? If so, there could be IT policies from the BES admin that restrict your ability to view attachments.

A BIS only blackberry can download mp3 attachments just fine. Although, like I said, even every now and again, mine will misbehave and refuse to properly download it. But most of the time it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by camattin View Post
    If you have a work address then you're on BES? If so, there could be IT policies from the BES admin that restrict your ability to view attachments.

A BIS only blackberry can download mp3 attachments just fine. Although, like I said, even every now and again, mine will misbehave and refuse to properly download it. But most of the time it's fine.
    Ok, now it's over my head!

How do I get to be a BIS only?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    Sadust, it's really pretty simple.

First, make sure your device has the Attachment Service installed. Go to Options --> Advanced Options --> Applications and look for a line that says "BlackBerry Attachment Service". If it's not listed, download the OS for your device from your provider and get it installed.

Now, for BES vs. BIS...

BES is BlackBerry Enterprise Server. It is typically set up by a company, but can also come from a "Hosted BES" service. If you go to Options --> Advanced Options --> Service Books, and see items listed starting with "Desktop[", you have a BES setup.

BIS is BlackBerry Internet service. Unless blocked by your BES setup, BIS is available to all BlackBerry data plans, but you have to set it up. It allows you to connect to a standard SMTP, IMAP, and some http email services and relays email from them to your BlackBerry. Additionally, all BIS accounts provide an email address when you first log into your provider's BIS web site which ends in @providername.blackberry.net.

Now, for an MP3 attachment to play, for BES I believe the server you're connected to needs to be running version 4.1. For BIS, I don't know what version is required, but almost all providers stay up to date.

I suspect you're on a BES that is not running a version new enough to support MP3 attachments. The easy way to find out if the problem is with the server or your device is to get your blackberry.net email address set up and send an MP3 attachment to that address. If it doesn't play, you probably need to get the Attachment Service installed as noted above. If it DOES play, your BES server probably doesn't support it (and it's unlikely your IT department is going to upgrade as it's been around for a long time).

The trick I got my wife to do (she has that situation) was to create a rule to forward her voice mail emails (which come with the actual voice mail message attached as an WAV) forwarded to her blackberry.net account where she can listen to it!

Hope that's clear!
    JerryD

jesquive no está en línea Stack level 1
    My first post to the forum
    Hi I am also unable to open MP3 attachments.
    it gives me the error unrecognized document format. I had it sent to my blackberry email as a test to see if could receive them, obviously it failed lol.
    should i try another email?

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by jesquive View Post
    My first post to the forum
    Hi I am also unable to open MP3 attachments.
    it gives me the error unrecognized document format. I had it sent to my blackberry email as a test to see if could receive them, obviously it failed lol.
    should i try another email?
    Welcome to Pinstack!

Well I've tried sending myself mp3 attachments and it doesn't really work for me either. So what I do is either save it as a draft in an email like Gmail and save it from that, transfer it using Media Manager, or send myself a direct link to where the mp3 files are located online and DL them that way.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

jesquive no está en línea Stack level 1
    ahh ok. well i just wanted to know if i could thru the email. my friend makes music and every once in a while he emails me a new song, just wanted to see if i could get it while on the go. not a biggie. if anyone figures it, for free, let me know!!!
    Thanks

OK all you MP3less folks, please try sending an MP3 to your blackberry.net email address. If your device is set up correctly, that is, had the attachment service installed, you should be able to play the attachment (if your device supports MP3's).

If it doesn't play, you need to reload the OS.

I would guess that most instances of the attachment not playing are BES users on an older version of BES which doesn't support that attachment type.
    JerryD

BIGT456 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D4B32
    Does anyone know up to what size an MP3 email attachment will in fact download onto a blackberry?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ One Meg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast