Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by Seanmtx Seriously....why are people so excited about the Curve?? It's like shiny ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Not so thrilled with 8830

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmtx
    Seriously....why are people so excited about the Curve?? It's like shiny things being shown to a room full of monkeys.

The Curve is very similar to the 8830 in in form and function. The only differences are in apps. (WiFi if I'm not mistaken)

Nothing that would make me stand in a corner and pout till it came out.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
    How about the camera on the curve. That's different!

BBwannabe no está en línea Stack level 3

Seriously....why are people so excited about the Curve?? It's like shiny things being shown to a room full of monkeys.

The Curve is very similar to the 8830 in in form and function. The only differences are in apps. (WiFi if I'm not mistaken)

Nothing that would make me stand in a corner and pout till it came out.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
    Because it's a slimmer version of the 8703, only with multimedia, camera, and trackball?

It's funny that someone who went out and bought an 8830 would accuse others of being monkeys who are impressed with shiny things.

Seanmtx no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by whsbuss
    How about the camera on the curve. That's different!

Oh the shennangians!!

Anyone wanna buy my 8830??

I'm going to hold out for that camera!!!!

Please?? I'll sell it for $11.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Miro, if you can hold out and wait for all discounts that would be the best thing to do in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BBwannabe
    Because it's a slimmer version of the 8703, only with multimedia, camera, and trackball?

It's funny that someone who went out and bought an 8830 would accuse others of being monkeys who are impressed with shiny things.

I went and bought this particular shiny thing because I was using a Moto Q....which sucks more than a Thai hooker.

A slimmer version of the 8700 with the above sounds strangely like an 8830 with a camera. Try and extend your noggin for a moment and ask yourself this question:

If you were a Verizon executive, would you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to release an 8830 with a camera when the regular 8830 is already paid for??

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

Has anybody else noticed poor bluetooth quality??

I use a Plantronics 655 and the calls crackle when the phone is in my pocket. If I cup my hand over the bluetooth you can't understand what the other person is saying. I syned the plantronics to my razr and it seemed to work fine even from across the room.

Just thought I'd see if others had similar issues or of my phone is unique. Its going back anyways to change it out with a new one for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbawabba
    Has anybody else noticed poor bluetooth quality??

I use a Plantronics 655 and the calls crackle when the phone is in my pocket. If I cup my hand over the bluetooth you can't understand what the other person is saying. I syned the plantronics to my razr and it seemed to work fine even from across the room.

Just thought I'd see if others had similar issues or of my phone is unique. Its going back anyways to change it out with a new one for other reasons.

Yeah...I've got a Plantronics 510 and similar issues.

It's not horrible, but not great.

When seperate by walls or clothing it crackles like a connection is horrible. When in a shirt pocket or on the table in front of me, it's crystal clear...damn near perfect.

Maybe it's the headsets we're using.

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

I have tested the Nokia BH-900 and the Jawbone with my 8830, and they both work great. Our testing eliminated the Plantronics 655 and 665 as options for our users. So, I didnt both testing them when I got my 8830.

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

Quote Originally Posted by miro
    I am deciding now on whether to pull the trigger or not on the 8830. I am not at my 2 years yet (OCT) but VZW has offered me the $100 manufacturers rebate and $75 VIP rebate. That leave the phone at $224.99. Is this a good deal? They won't offer me the data plan rebate of $100 until my 2 years are up. They will also give me 2 LG 5300 free for my secondary accts. How does that sound?

The price they quoted you isnt too bad, but I have seen people on these threads reporting better deals.

Unless you really need two LG 5300's, I wouldnt consider this a great deal. Unless Verizon waves the tax, you are still going to pay tax on the full price of the phone. Just my 2 cents. good luck

omlieber no está en línea Stack level 1

Yeah...I've got a Plantronics 510 and similar issues.

It's not horrible, but not great.

When seperate by walls or clothing it crackles like a connection is horrible. When in a shirt pocket or on the table in front of me, it's crystal clear...damn near perfect.

Maybe it's the headsets we're using.
    Interesting... I have a Plantronics 510 that also sounds kind of crappy with my 8830, but I never thought about the wall/clothing factor. I used to have a similar problem with my treo though, so perhaps it's a problem with the headsets?

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

Not the headset(s)... I have an old motorola HS850 that i used with my prior phone and never had any issues even across the room (only when i used the microwave).

With the 8830 in my lap and me cupping the HS850 on my ear it crackles just like the plantronics. It must be a weak bluetooth signal on the phone. Maybe verizon's manipulation of the software to block OBEX hurts the hands free... wouldn't think so but maybe.

miro no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3179D82A

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    The price they quoted you isnt too bad, but I have seen people on these threads reporting better deals.

Unless you really need two LG 5300's, I wouldnt consider this a great deal. Unless Verizon waves the tax, you are still going to pay tax on the full price of the phone. Just my 2 cents. good luck
    thanks, I think I will wait till 2 years are up for 2 reasons. 1. to save another $100 and 2. to see if VZW comes out with a Pearl.

baerenator no está en línea Stack level 2

I got the Plantronics 310 and it does not appear to suffer the Bluetooth issue, the GPS issue does irk me and does the ringer volume, even on high it is not as loud as a 8300 I am trying out also, I posted in that forum on comparisons and I am still on the fence as to which one to keep. While Veizon does provide a leather case in the package (the 8300 does not) it makes the volume issue worse since the flap goes right over the speaker, I talked to tech support an there is no other fix, I even ran some MP3's through Audacity and the volume wasn't any better. BTW if you try it on Vista the Roxio software works better without connecting the phone first, start the Blackberry Desktop, run the Media Manager it will take awhile to start, after it opens connect the Blackberry and allow mass storage mode, it is slow but it works. Also you have to convert the files on Audacity before you open the Desktop software, if you try converting audio to MP3 on Audicity after Roxio is open it will crash. I can say the camera on the 8300 is not that great, for a supposed 2.0 megapixel it is weak, the Pearl has a better camera. Wi-Fi is a would be nice but not a compelling issue since I have unlimited plans.

Bottom line is either one of these have plusses and minuses, why can't they just stop screwing with features and give us a good phone? I'd never buy an iPhone but I hope they sell, maybe these companies would find out that there is an audience that would pay for a phone that had uncrippled features, maybe RIM should sell versions of what the phone is really like, Nokia does it.

swanky no está en línea Stack level 1

I used to agree. Here is why the Curve blows away the 8830:

(1) With Verizon crippling the hell out of all the good extras on the 8830, the benefits, e.g. GPS are gone.

(2) The blue backlighting is horrific, especially in semi-weak light

(3) The keys being close together isn't so much the problem as it is the idiotic raising of only HALF the keys so that there is this "cool" design on the keypad. Pressing letters isn't just flush in the center. This has to be the dumbest decision I have ever seen for a Blackberry device.

(4) The Curve has a camera. At least it is functional and it would have been a nice extra.

(5) The Curve is a little smaller. At least it has that benefit.

(6) The keypad is reasonably easy to use and not the assinine design stated above.

(7) It's available on Carriers other than Verizon. That alone is worth the price of the phone.

swanky no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by jabbawabba
    Not the headset(s)... I have an old motorola HS850 that i used with my prior phone and never had any issues even across the room (only when i used the microwave).

With the 8830 in my lap and me cupping the HS850 on my ear it crackles just like the plantronics. It must be a weak bluetooth signal on the phone. Maybe verizon's manipulation of the software to block OBEX hurts the hands free... wouldn't think so but maybe.
    Ditto on the JX10 by Jabra. Slightly better than the Treo and still as almost unusable.

Without the headset people complain that I don't sound clear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast