Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am a commercial customer for Verizon and I was offered an 8830 to take ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Coachmeeks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    300F590D

Thumbs down Not so thrilled with 8830

Advertisement

I am a commercial customer for Verizon and I was offered an 8830 to take out for a 14 day test drive. I picked it up this past Thursday and wanted to pass along my personel findings, this is only my opinion and others may disagree.
    The unit feels very well made, it is a nice size and weight. The screen is very clear and nice to look at. The themes are excellent and very usefull. I have a 7130e presently and there has been no voice dialing available for the Verizon 7130e to this point so I was thirlled to find the 8830 has a very usable voice dialing program. The built in spell check with the email is excellent and again very usefull. The sound quality on the phone was good and the volume seemed to be fine. The pearl was easy to get used to and I even liked the fact you can push the pearl and people dont hear it in use unlike the track whell where people hear me using it in a quiet place.The keypad had a soft feel to the keys that was different but not a problem.
    So why did I return it?
    I found the keys were too close together, I am able to type faster with the 7130e key sizes and have fewer double hits. I also found that I could not see the numbers on the keypad, the blue backlit number keys also have an agle to them that made it impossible for my 46 year old eyes to see, and at night it was even worse. Maybe i need bifocals but I just found the keyboard so frustraiting compared to the size of the 7130e keyboard. I have smaller fingers than most men, my wife and I have the same size hands and she is a very petit women.The 7130e has white backlit numbers and letters and the numbers/letters are larger also and for me at least easier to see both day and night.
    I give the 8830 a 5 out of 10 because if I cannot use the keyboard because the keys are so close together, and if I cannot see the numbers and letters because of the size of the font on the keys and the bad contrast on the backlighting, then the whole unit is only half usefull to me.
    I hope Verizon comes out with a pearl version that is more like the 7130 keysizes but with the wondeful functions I found on the 8830.
    Just my opinion

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Not so thrilled with 8830

Great info thanks a lot
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

thanks. Is the official launch today or yesterday?:
    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C12742/

Seanmtx no está en línea Stack level 2

I sweet talked a rep in my local store to sell me the 8830 this Saturday instead of Monday when it was actually released.
    I didn't get a chance to really use it until yesterday when I'm out of the country on a business trip.

My findings were sort of similar to yours:

Keyboard...I'm not a huge fan of the feedback to my fingers when I press the keys, but I think I can get used to it. I definitely could type faster on the 7130 I had, but remember that a full QWERTY keyboard has to have smaller keys. I think after a few weeks, I'll be ok with this.
    Backlight is definitely an issue, although not a huge one in that I (as I trust most people are) am very familiar with where the numbers/letters are.

Phone call quality....simply outstanding. Makes the Q I had look like a piece of junk. Immediate Bluetooth engagement, crystal clear, even when off CDMA/EVDO network. One of the gripes I've had about the smartphones (I've used the 6700, Treo 650, BB7130 and Q before this) is that many of them are 'Jack of all trades, Master of none." This BB is an outstanding phone (which is the primary function I personally need)

The trackball will take a little getting used to, but that was expected.

Applications....there are a TON more options on here than my 7130 ever had. I've got things that are cool like maps, and things that are almost a necessity like the convenience key, space bar for @ sign, space bar for periods (including capitalizing the following letter.) etc. Very intuitive.

Overall, I see myself really enjoying this phone. In the limited time I've had it, it seems as though the negatives for this device are far less than with any of my previous smartphones listed above.

I'll buy that fer a dollar!

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

I'm am digging all the feedback on the 8830. This will help my decision come this August when I get to use my upgrade discount with VZW.

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

I'll find out tomorrow. I've touched mine, but I had to give it back. My IT manager has to set it up on our BES. (DARN IT!)

Seanmtx, for your "things that are almost a necessity", are you saying to couldn't do any of those on your 7130e? Or just that they are still there? The "double space" period, followed by auto cap, and then space for @ have always been on my 7130e.

I'm very excited to take her for a spin.

PIN/ID
    woodi68

Quote Originally Posted by hayden
    thanks. Is the official launch today or yesterday?:
    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C12742/
    I was under the impression that the public release was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by woodi68
    I was under the impression that the public release was yesterday.
    Yes...the retail (public) release was May 28th.

You can get it online or in a retail store. I recommend puchasing online because the $100 mail in rebate (as of yesterday) was instant online.
    Plus, you don't have to worry about inventory like you do in a retail store. When I got mine, the retail guy said they had 10 to sell...not very bloody many.

Woodi68...the 7130 was my first BB, so I likely didn't use it to its fullest. I did not notice nor ever use the double space or space @ sign.

PIN/ID
    woodi68

Groovy. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks a lot!

Congrats on your new 8830!! Hope it works out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by woodi68
    Groovy. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks a lot!

Congrats on your new 8830!! Hope it works out for you!

Just gotta get it to stop being pissy at the proxy server and I'll be a happy man.

BBwannabe no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by UH8ME
    I'm am digging all the feedback on the 8830. This will help my decision come this August when I get to use my upgrade discount with VZW.
    I'm not pulling the trigger on an upgrade until I know if we're getting the Curve.

Quote Originally Posted by BBwannabe
    I'm not pulling the trigger on an upgrade until I know if we're getting the Curve.
    Seriously....why are people so excited about the Curve?? It's like shiny things being shown to a room full of monkeys.

The Curve is very similar to the 8830 in in form and function. The only differences are in apps. (WiFi if I'm not mistaken)

Nothing that would make me stand in a corner and pout till it came out.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

nuts930 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have been using the 8830 for about two weeks now, and while the keys are a little cramped, I adjusted to them quite quickly. I had a 7250 for several years, so I am competent enough to type on the QWERTY keyboard without looking at the keys, so the backlighting wasnt an issue for me. IMO, the 8830 is much, much better than the 7130 that I had for about 6 months. As the OP mentioned, the trackball, voice dialing, spell check and phone quality makes this BB much better than anything Verizon has offered in the past.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the big difference on the Curve-8300 vs the 8800 series phones (other than the keyboard) is that the Curve has a 2 megapixel camera while the 8800's camera doesn't exist.

miro no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3179D82A

I am deciding now on whether to pull the trigger or not on the 8830. I am not at my 2 years yet (OCT) but VZW has offered me the $100 manufacturers rebate and $75 VIP rebate. That leave the phone at $224.99. Is this a good deal? They won't offer me the data plan rebate of $100 until my 2 years are up. They will also give me 2 LG 5300 free for my secondary accts. How does that sound?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast