Hi Group, I've got a new Sprint 8830. I've found a lot of really good ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

tbonanno no está en línea Stack level 2

Question New BB 8830 User Needs Some Help..

Advertisement

Hi Group,

I've got a new Sprint 8830.

I've found a lot of really good info from really good people here. Still have three things that I'm having some trouble with, in spite of my efforts.. Perhaps someone here can give me some assistance:

1. Is there software that would allow me to "backup" all the applications and settings to my 8830's MicroSD card (like some of us use to do on the TREO's SD using a program like BackupMan) ?

2. Is there any "free" way to get my GPS "coordinates" ? The BB Maps work fine for displaying maps and tracking my movement, but I can't seem to find anyway to get coordinates ?

3. How do I change the signature on my emails ? Should be straightforward, but when I go into email settings, I can't find a way to change the text even though it appears that I should be able to ?

Thanks !!

Tony
    Last edited by tbonanno; 03-23-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Title Change

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'll tackle 3 - you need to log on to your provider's site and edit your email from there after establishing your email accounts on your bb.

I don't think you can backup to the card which is unfortunate. It would make a really nice portable way of being able to restore.

There are a variety of free gps programs and some of them show lat/long.

Off the top of my head I don't recall which ones show what detail:
    gps-ed, I think.

trekbuddy might

google maps

bbtracker and blackberry tracker (2 different apps)

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hey tony,
    1.I believe that card back-up is not going to be available until a later OS for the 8830, but even then it might be only PIM info if I remember correctly, right now 3rd party apps can only be restored using DM, there is a tutorial for that somewhere in this site, sorry, I don't remember where I saw it.
    2. On BBMaps start with menu>find location>where I am ;it'll take a few seconds and a pin with your location will show up (you don't need to start gps nav if all you want are your coordinates)
    Then menu>and either 'send location' to quickly glance at your lat long (you can send that email to yourself) or 'copy location' and then paste on an email or note.
    Pinstacker 67mustang has a good site with everything BB gps,
    http://brentmeganowen.tripod.com/blackberry.htm
    3.From your BB browser open up your bookmarks, under links you should have email setup. Log in or create an account (same place the setup wizard took you to set up your BB email) under each email account there should be a signature setup page and signature activation as well.
    Like FF2 says, this email setup page can also be reached using a PC, each phone co has their own, you can search pinstack in the BB software section.

Take care, let us know how you make out.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks FF2 and Huracan,

Got the coordinates through BB tracker... good suggestions.. will experiment with some of the others... email signature still eluding me.. I'm on Sprint and on BIS, not enterprise. Can't find anything that works yet. Will keep looking. Logged into my BIS account and found everything but an option for signature.. the signature box is "locked" on the Sprint message.

Most of this afternoon I spent trying to get stereo sound out of my headphones.. none of my adpaters/phones work.. just getting right channel.. saw where this seems to be a common issue. Guess I'll have to see about some new phones/adapters.

Cheers,

Tony

Finally got to the Sprint BlackBerry page (never found it on Sprint's site, had to go to BB site) and there I was able to configure the signature for my email.

Thanks for all the help!

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    No problem at all.
    It is trully amazing all that this little pocket computer can do, and I owe pinstack a lot for teaching me how to maximize that potential.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~