Hi all, I've been browsing many BB forums, but Pinstack is the only site that ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

dukesterpin no está en línea Stack level 1

New 8830 user question

Advertisement

Hi all,

I've been browsing many BB forums, but Pinstack is the only site that has been bookmarked!

Just wanted to say thanks in advance for all the help as I'm still new to BB. To compound the challenge, my wife (not technical at all) has been talked, by me, into switching over to a BB.

FYI...I just signed up to another 2-yr contract with Sprint and got myself an 8830 (from an 8703e) and my wife an 8130 (from a Samsung A900).

Please help with the following initial two questions:

1. My new 8830 came with V4.2.2.123 & Platform 3.0.0.64 loaded. However, from reading other threads, I understand that there's a newer version available: V4.2.2.176 & Platform 3.0.0.76. Do I need to upgrade my OS already?

2. Is there a way to copy the "Ringer_RoomService" ringtone from my 8703e to the 8830?

Again, thanks in advance for reading and your help!

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: New 8830 user question

I'm not sure about the ringtone, but there are usually bug fixes in the upgrades and I would recommend upgrading the device. Make sure you backup your data first.

Quote Originally Posted by tavella81 View Post
    I'm not sure about the ringtone, but there are usually bug fixes in the upgrades and I would recommend upgrading the device. Make sure you backup your data first.
    Thanks for your response. Hopefully, someone else will chime in on the ringer question.

ptrtwitch no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32BF543B

Quote Originally Posted by dukesterpin View Post

2. Is there a way to copy the "Ringer_RoomService" ringtone from my 8703e to the 8830?
    The way I've ever gotten ringtones from a bb to another is sending it in a file from your computer.

IDK if this will help much.
    Last edited by ptrtwitch; 12-30-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo

kermalou no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I got a question how do I upgrade my 8830 software?

wescrivner no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23D76A6C

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you can try emailing the ringtone to the 8830 and then save the attachment. I've done this to work around security limitations ;>

Painkiller no está en línea Stack level 1

If your ringtone is just an mp3 file, you should be able to copy it from your PC to the BB via the usb cable for the 8830.

You won't really need to use the Manager software to do this, unless you want that software to re-encode the soundfile (ringtone).

Just hooking the usb cable to the 8830 and the PC will make your memory in the phone look like an additional disk drive.

(And, before disconnecting, remember to use the stop usb device from the icon in your PC's start tray (lower right corner).

Don't know if this will help your situation with your previous BB, but maybe your 8703e also connects to the PC directly? In which case, you just copy the file off the cell into a directory on the PC then follow the above.
    Last edited by Painkiller; 12-30-2007 at 07:15 PM.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by dukesterpin View Post
    1. My new 8830 came with V4.2.2.123 & Platform 3.0.0.64 loaded. However, from reading other threads, I understand that there's a newer version available: V4.2.2.176 & Platform 3.0.0.76. Do I need to upgrade my OS already?

1- you can upgrade only if you wish to. I'm not sure what bug/patches are there but if everything works to your liking nothing says you *should*. Just know that it is there if you do have issues with something, or just like to stay on top of the latest.
    2- is that file a pre-installed ringtone or one you added?

Quote Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I got a question how do I upgrade my 8830 software?
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...lackberry.html

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller View Post
    ...Just hooking the usb cable to the 8830 and the PC will make your memory in the phone look like an additional disk drive...
    if you have a memory card (and turn on Mass Storage Mode) ;-) otherwise there is nothing to mount.
    Last edited by cliffr39; 12-30-2007 at 07:16 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I need to clarify that the ringtone that I want to use, "Ringer_RoomService", came with the 8703e. I would like to copy this ringtone from the 8703e (non longer active) to the 8830 (active). Thanks again for all the help.

[quote=cliffr39;552746]1- you can upgrade only if you wish to. I'm not sure what bug/patches are there but if everything works to your liking nothing says you *should*. Just know that it is there if you do have issues with something, or just like to stay on top of the latest.
    2- is that file a pre-installed ringtone or one you added?

Yes. The "Ringer_RoomService" is one of the "pre-installed" ringtone on the 8703e.

Thanks!

Last month I had received an email from my carrier (VZW) about this upgrade.

What was said to me was that I would have to install this upgrade (to 4.2.2.176) if I wanted to download and use their GPS turn-by-turn software. Only thing is, install & use of this software will be an additional $9.95 per month charge added to my bill.

Just thought I'd share, likely this is also true for Sprint folks.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Here you go for the ringtone
    I found it here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ringtones.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Awesome! Thanks you so much for the help!

Just one more question for now...after I unzip the file, what is the best way to save it to the 8830? I don't have a micro SD card yet. Does this matter?

Thanks again!

In my case (Verizon), I downloaded two rather large files. One is for the latest version of the Desktop Manager software (meant to run on your PC, that zip file is around 237Megabytes) and the second file was for upgrading the firmware (around 90Mb) of the 8830.

Didn't you find instructions for how to install? There will likely be install procedures (readme.txt) after uncompressing both files on the PC. Be sure to look for them.

First is to install the Desktop Manager software.

Then uncompress the firmware update zip into a folder all its own.

Somewhere there should be instructions, but basically, you have to have the Desktop Manager software running, connect the 8830 to the PC with its USB cable - then use the manager software to install the firmware upgrade. Be aware this will take a considerable amount of time, if you think nothing is happening - leave it alone, just wait - if I remember right when I did mine it took somewhere from 30 minutes to an hour or more.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    Here you go for the ringtone
    I found it here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ringtones.html
    Thanks for the find. Now that I have the zip file of the ringtone, how do I install this onto the phone?

Thanks in advance for the help!