Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay, so here's the rundown: March 08: I go in to Verizon and decide that ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

andrew.peron no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3029AA4B

My memory leak adventure.

Advertisement

Okay, so here's the rundown:

March 08: I go in to Verizon and decide that now that my contract is up, I'm done with my moto q and ready to move back to a blackberry (the last one i had was the 7250, ancient I know). I decide to pick up the 8830 WE, because at the time I had no idea that verizon had plans to bring the curve to be available, which has now happened. Anyways, the first device worked fine for about 2 weeks, no hitches whatsoever. However, I started to notice that messages would be deleted sporadically throughout my message list, calls in the call log were missing, etc. After troubleshooting it and help from crackberry.com and pinstack.com users, it was determined to be a memory leak. Verizon replaced it, in store, no hassle. Kudos to them for that.

Now we're on blackberry #2. From April - Mid May, it's worked fine. Then, same problem. Let me be clear: the problem did not lie with the fact that i was having the low free space issue; i had over 7mb of free space at all times, regular battery pulls to keep things running smoothly. The device replaced either has some other hardware issue, or I'm not doing something right. Regardless, I called today to troubleshoot/ask for a replacement, and the rep I talked to offered to replace it straight off, no questions asked. The new device should be in hand by Friday at 7PM.

I am aware, and I confirmed this with the rep I spoke to last night, that since this is my third device, and my second warranty replacement within 90 days, if I have this or another issue with the replacement device, that I am eligible to request a different model phone of equal or lesser value. In this case, for me, I would probably choose the 8330 Curve.

The question I have is: Has anyone else experienced this issue, or does anybody have any ideas of other things that might be causing the problem? I'm more asking for when I get the replacement device, to make sure I'm not inadvertently causing this issue.

Here's more details to help you help me:

8830 World Edition
    OS 4.2.2.196(353)
    Platform 3.0.0.81
    7751234 Bytes free (almost 8MB)
    Third Party Applications: Opera Mini 4.1
    VZNavigator
    Google Maps
    Yahoo Messenger
    KaGlom

I also have a memory card in the device, a 1GB SanDisk MicroSD.

Thanks in advance for your help!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Did you delete things that you're not using off the BB? Unused languages, apps, themes, the sample video, song and preloaded pics, ringtones?

PIN/ID
    3029AA4B
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    Did you delete things that you're not using off the BB? Unused languages, apps, themes, the sample video, song and preloaded pics, ringtones?
    yep, english is the only language pack installed, the only apps installed are the ones i use, i removed all themes, including the vendor (verizon) theme, so all i have is dimension zen and zen plus, the sample video was deleted, and all the pictures too. i kept some of the ringtones though, but I highly doubt that's the culprit.

cellchick no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3045bfb6
    From what I understand is that its a known issue - I know 4 other people who are having the same problem. BB is working on a patch according to my data support. Stop having them replace your device because thats not the problem. The info I received was that it'll be fixed soon, just remove your battery once a day. Its a huge pain in the butt, I know. Its happening with pearls and 8830s. Haven't personally heard about it on any of the curves yet though.
    KAL

PIN/ID
    3029AA4B
    Quote Originally Posted by cellchick View Post
    From what I understand is that its a known issue - I know 4 other people who are having the same problem. BB is working on a patch according to my data support. Stop having them replace your device because thats not the problem. The info I received was that it'll be fixed soon, just remove your battery once a day. Its a huge pain in the butt, I know. Its happening with pearls and 8830s. Haven't personally heard about it on any of the curves yet though.
    Well at least they're going to fix it soon, which is more than I can say for some other companies' products (motorola q *cough*). But it sucks that there's nothing I can do about it now. So just battery pulls? Anybody else have any tricks/tips?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    There are several threads for removing things from the OS like pre-loaded pics, VAD (voice activated dialing) and more...if you don't use them. But messing with those things can void your warranty...but they will give you lots more room. I have an 8130 Pearl, and I have around 20mb after a reset and I have quite a few 3rd party applications.

But, if I were you and they were willing to let you trade to the new 8330 Curve, I would go for it, it has much more memory so you wouldn't need to reboot your BB nearly as often, but that's just what I would do, my 2 cents anyway.......
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    3029AA4B
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    There are several threads for removing things from the OS like pre-loaded pics, VAD (voice activated dialing) and more...if you don't use them. But messing with those things can void your warranty...but they will give you lots more room. I have an 8130 Pearl, and I have around 20mb after a reset and I have quite a few 3rd party applications.

But, if I were you and they were willing to let you trade to the new 8330 Curve, I would go for it, it has much more memory so you wouldn't need to reboot your BB nearly as often, but that's just what I would do, my 2 cents anyway.......
    Yeah I agree with you. The guy I talked to was really nice and overnighted me a replacement 8830. He gave me his extension and told me that if I had any trouble with this one that he would personally see to it that I got a 8330 to replace it. I think when I get my 8830 from fedex tomorrow I'm just gonna call him and take him up on his offer.

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    Instead of doing the battery pull everyday you can just press the ALT-Right Shft-Delete keys and this will perform the same function as a battery pull. Hope everything works out.

PIN/ID
    3045bfb6
    Quote Originally Posted by cgaliffi View Post
    Instead of doing the battery pull everyday you can just press the ALT-Right Shft-Delete keys and this will perform the same function as a battery pull. Hope everything works out.

I didn't know that! Thank you!
    KAL

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    You're welcome! Up until about a month ago I wasn't aware of that tip.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    3029AA4B
    Hey guys,

Tech Support recommended that I call the store I bought my BB from and ask the supervisor to swap it out for another device, and the supervisor ended up giving me a brand new, in-box curve, as well as a car charger and a hard case for all of my troubles.

So thanks, to all of you, for your help and your ideas, and hopefully this new device won't have any issues!

Thanks again!

LarryF no está en línea Stack level 1
    I noticed that you show your OS as 4.2.2.196. I know that, for Verizon, the latest OS is 4.2.2.176. You are using, I believe, another Carrier's OS. Perhaps this is causing the problem

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Glad I have never had these problems with my telus 8830, its a work horse. Feel bad 4 the ones that have issues. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    I've deleted the pictures and ptt [from AT&T], the languages and video, and I have 40MB free on my pearl.
    Must be a curve-related issue?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    3045bfb6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.peron View Post
    Hey guys,

Tech Support recommended that I call the store I bought my BB from and ask the supervisor to swap it out for another device, and the supervisor ended up giving me a brand new, in-box curve, as well as a car charger and a hard case for all of my troubles.

So thanks, to all of you, for your help and your ideas, and hopefully this new device won't have any issues!

Thanks again!
    Sounds like pretty awesome customer service to me!
    KAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast