Anyone done it? I already have mine torn out, and a new one is in ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

NoRemorse no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31795d7d

Mini USB port replacement

Advertisement

Anyone done it? I already have mine torn out, and a new one is in the mail. Any tips on soldering these tiny damn leads?

I am dying with out my berry I'll probably be with out it for a week!!

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    that's sucks bro, I have few tips, don't drink when ur doing it...lol other then that good luck let me know how it works out.

MWARREN no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2469DF36
    I tried to do this with my 7105t. I ended up burning up the circit board where it connects. You will need a super fine soldering tip, some low melt solder, and a very steady hand.

Good luck
    ~via BB8320 (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    31795d7d
    I am so sad with out my phone

PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    I would be too, did u get it all figured out?

PIN/ID
    31795d7d
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetneo View Post
    I would be too, did u get it all figured out?
    the part is shipping from Hong Kong. It left yesterday, so I have a 7-10 day wait ahead of me.I am using my old Samsung a900 right now... and it really makes me realize how much I use my blackberry, and how integrated into my life it is.

PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    lol that's funny, i would hate to use just a phone again....

kennedy_84 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302403B0
    If you fail, there is still hope, just pick up a charging cradle which by-passes the usb for charging and transfer files to your memory card on your computer.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ sucks man sorry to hear that. I haven't soldered anything in long while, got and friends where you are that are electronic technicians or repair techs? Maybe they could help you out if your worried about messing up the bb.

PIN/ID
    31795d7d
    Quote Originally Posted by maz94protege View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ sucks man sorry to hear that. I haven't soldered anything in long while, got and friends where you are that are electronic technicians or repair techs? Maybe they could help you out if your worried about messing up the bb.
    I am only moderately scared of messing it up. I've just never soldered any 1mm pith pins before (I attempted about 5 years ago and it was a sad attempt) I'll probably be ok, but I'll stop before I mess anything up, I am pretty good with these sort of things (my lap top has been torn apart and new parts soldered in over 6 times!)

megabite no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ping
    You need a very thin and special soldering gun for those tips.... plus a very precise plus. Also you need to have a special liquid that will clean the contacts (not alcohol) and a heating gun to prepare the contacts and the board.

Its hard to do, I’ve done other mayor repairs to other cell phones but also think about his, if you fail, it doesn’t matter , you still without a phone so you wont loose nothing if you try to play around.
    ___
    SFC. Megabite

PIN/ID
    31795d7d
    Quote Originally Posted by megabite View Post
    You need a very thin and special soldering gun for those tips.... plus a very precise plus. Also you need to have a special liquid that will clean the contacts (not alcohol) and a heating gun to prepare the contacts and the board.

Its hard to do, I’ve done other mayor repairs to other cell phones but also think about his, if you fail, it doesn’t matter , you still without a phone so you wont loose nothing if you try to play around.
    The 'cleaning' agent is called flux and is actually used to de-oxidize the contacts more than anything. This is uneeded often as most solder is rosin cored. The issue is when you put the solder on the tip first, most of the flux boils away. If you apply the solder the the already heated contacts, it's less of an issue. Some pros do SMC's with it, some with out, depends on the technique used.

PIN/ID
    31795d7d
    Ok, update:

I thought that I would battle this damned thing for hours and THEN I would only have a 50/50 chance of reviving it. Took me a total of 10min to get it on there. It's all up and going good!!!!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow! Good for you! Congratulations!