View Poll Results: What device should I carry?

Voters
6. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Keep 8703e, and carry a PDA for biz app

1 16.67%
  • Get 8130 Pearl (smaller) and carry PDA for biz app

1 16.67%
  • Get 8830 WE and carry PDA for biz app

2 33.33%
  • Get Samsung SCH760 to do it all

2 33.33%

I currently carry an 8703e, which I have upgraded to v4.2xxx OS. The new OS ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

lindycu no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Keep 8703e/4.2OS or replace w/ 8830, 8130 or Samsung SCH760? Opinions Wanted!

Advertisement

I currently carry an 8703e, which I have upgraded to v4.2xxx OS. The new OS is nice, a bit slower, but less auto-resets (as I believe some of the Google Apps are better suited for the newer OS). Anyway, I've been reading about battery life issues, etc. and I have no issue with my 8703e. I typically can charge it via notebook when I'm working, so it's only not charging while driving/traveling or at home. I don't mind carrying two batteries either, or getting an extended one. I also use my BT headset a good bit (Jabra JX10 v2). As for software, I obviously have BES setup, use Google Maps, Beyond411, GoogleTalk, Facebook app, BB Messenger. The reason for a change is I will likely start carrying a PDA for some other business apps (not made to run on a BB). A few colleagues have the world Phone (8830) and all are very disappointed with battery life when using BT, this could poise a problem for me unless extended battery available. Not concerned with going to suretype, and would prefer the smaller phone, but read about memory leak issue on the 8130?

I want a phone with camera, and like BB, but I also could look at the Samsung SCH-i760, which runs Microsuck's Mobile 6 Pro. Benefit to this phone is I can still get on Corporate e-mail (they support both BB and Exchange ActiveSync), and this would support the business software I need to run on a separate PDA (if I stay with BB). It also has built-in WiFi, but I like BB!

If it matters, I'm also likely going to add VZ Nav to the newer BB/device if supported (yes, I hate that they turn off the "BUILT-IN" GPS functionality...but I'm over it since I have had the 8703e so long, I just used GMaps or Beyond411). New GMaps will actually do a locate on the Phone GPS (not accurate but gets you close which isn't bad if you have an idea where you are and major streets close by)

Or in the end I could get a PDA, keep the BB 8703e...but what fun would that be?

Please provide some feedback (more than just - "Go with the Pearl" or "world phone rocks" if possible)

Lastly....is it worth the upgrade (I would pay the current "new subscriber price and get all rebates with a renew of contract, so I'm not paying full price)

Thanks!

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Re: Keep 8703e/4.2OS or replace w/ 8830, 8130 or Samsung SCH760? Opinions Wanted!

Pearl and no pda

aspen20 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Keep 8703e/4.2OS or replace w/ 8830, 8130 or Samsung SCH760? Opinions Wanted!

I had the Sammy I700 then I730 , finally the I760. I was frustrated with windows after all these years. Tired of the resets. I want it to work and work really well. I am really happy with the 8830WE. I carry a Fujitsu P1610 when I need a PC.

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Well...price has everything to do with the selection. Since phones are not covered by the company (they cover my bill, but not my cell phone equipment), I went with the Pearl today, as I was able to get it free (The VZW rep quoted it free, then realized it was $49 after rebates, so she decided to give me the extra $50 - Phone was $299, with $100 instant, plus $50 mail-in, plus $100 for extending 2-year commitment) Note - for those who ask why i would extend, I have too many colleagues and friends on Verizon, I'm not switching...

Anyway, company will cover the PDA for future use, so I'm looking forward to the Pearl. I will likely get a GPS PDA (if I can find one) so I don't have to get VZ Navigator (yes, I'm still one of the VZW customers who complains that they disable the GPS out of the box)

Thanks for the replies. The bottom line for me was having a phone that had a camera (I'm terrible about carrying my 5MP camera with me, even though it is small), along with the price tag.

If anyone wants a 8703e that is in like-new condition (was replaced about 4 months ago via warranty replacement, and I have a total body skin on it), let me know! Cost negotiable!

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

If you are going to need a PDA also, I don't see the need to have two data devices (Blackberry and WM6). Thus, I voted that you just get the I760.

PIN/ID
    319BDB8B

Agreed with the logic as I didn't want to carry two devices. After playing with the SCHi760 - I felt it had some drawbacks, and I'm not "always" going to carry the PDA. Thanks for the input Doc!