Just throwing an idea out there about a month back I read that sprint was ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

kamelwithak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20E127A8

idea for verizon 8830 gps

Advertisement

Just throwing an idea out there about a month back I read that sprint was sued about its phones being locked. The lawsuit forced sprint to allow customer to unlock their phones free threw cs.

Idk if it is possible but if some one can get an sprint 8830 unlocked and working on verizon with the right os the gps should work

Idk just an idea I got at 540 in the morning cause I couldn't sleep
    Pierre Kamel

cfrench no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: idea for verizon 8830 gps

I wish someone would/could figure this out also. Between my wife and I, we spend $200 a month. You would think that verizon could just let me have the gps as a free service. Our taxes allready pay for the gps anyway. And sense we pay for unlimited data which is how the data for the maps gets to me. I shouldn't have to pay another dime for gps. I already have paid for it. I get so tired of being nickeled and dimed for everything I do.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by kamelwithak View Post
    ...Idk just an idea I got at 540 in the morning cause I couldn't sleep
    lol that is called an addiction
    but yeah I wish they wouldn't cripple things WE paid for. I could understand if we rented the phones and had to return it but this is stupid. I can even *somewhat* understand paying for the use of the software, but the hardware that we paid for should not be limited to just their one app.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    According to a Verizon rep, they can't use Sprint phones yet, but sometime in the spring they'll be able to activate a Sprint phone. My buddy had the same idea, since he's on Verizon and likes the look of the Sprint 8800 better. So he did the research on it first.

alcarillo no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but it appears to me that a class-action lawsuit is in the works against Verizon over the GPS-disabling issue...

[crap, I can't post the url]

go to cyberlawonline dot com slash cyberlawg/general-interest/suit-challenges-verizon-on-blackberry-gps.html

I'm going to try to find out more, how I can be included in the suit, etc. If anyone has info to share, I suppose this is the thread to do it?

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

A class action lawsuit like that may help change policy/push legislation ( and in this particular case would be welcomed ), but the main thing class actions suits are the attourneys. We (the plaintiffs ) may benefit $1-$10 from it while they (lawyers) will benifit millions...I agree if the phliosophy that if I buy a product that product is MINE and I should be able to do with it as I see fit (rip off those mattress tags). For VZW (or any other company) to lock out a feature that is built into the phone for the sole purpose that the consumers HAS to buy another one of the company's products is borderline larceny in my eyes. (eg..the great demons MS, RIAA, MPAA, ect.)
    ((I'm working on a workaround for the gps situation with some other groups.))
    That aside, VZW does have the best network in the States. This gps lockout is a small thing in my eyes for a system that works exceptionally well otherwise.

C.

jaydabee no está en línea Stack level 3

I solved my problem with Verizons GPS lockout by switching over to AT&T. I just used my 8820 for a week in Europe and it was so sweet to not have to carry an extra GPS puck around when the 8820 already had one in it. Verizon sucks, I will never go back there due to their poor customer service and the way they like to cripple good phones.
    Watch what you say,
    they'll be calling you
    a Radical, a Liberal,
    Fanatical, a Criminal . . .

PIN/ID
    ask

Poor customer service?

Quote Originally Posted by caustic View Post
    Poor customer service?
    The a-hole who set me up with an 8830 international phone told me I was good to go to Europe and start using the phone. The idiot forgot to install the SIM card and Verizon international helpline would do nothing for while I was in Paris for a week. Verizon did nothing to compenstate for this when I got back so I left there sorry a*ss behind me and went to AT&T. Also found out that AT&T was just as good or a better service provider to boot. I see no degragation in service, the GPS works and WiFi is great. Thanks Verizon for having such an idiot working for you in one of your main stores.
    Watch what you say,
    they'll be calling you
    a Radical, a Liberal,
    Fanatical, a Criminal . . .

PIN/ID
    ask

You will find people like that in every segment of the market. That you came across a sales person who either was new/untrained/lazy or an idiot isn't so much a reflection on the company and service as it is on his store/market manager.
    I myself have many global travellers as customers, they get my personal phone number and an email specifically for my BB customers. They can contact me 24/7 for any questions of problems they may have. To date, I have resolved issues for customers who were located in : china, thailand, australia, lebanon, israel, germany, england, columbia and france to name a few. This I do from any location and any time to make sure my customers have the best uninterrupted service possible. That is MY guarantee to MY customers. Those issues range from no voice or data to zero service at all. (i guess you are wondering if they don't have voice or data how can they contact me, anywhere from using a land line to an internet cafe. However they can. )
    Now when it came to you not having the global sim inserted and activated by your sales person, that is an issolated instance. You being in France with no SIM card is sort of a catch 22, you have no voice and by the time VZW could send you a SIM card your trip would have been over. And what compensation would you have VZW give you? You didn't pay for something you didnt recieve, so what compensation were you looking for? If you paid for a Global Pack then you should have had the SIM plus the international help card with you in the package. I'm kinda of confused on that part.

C.

That's just it, the SIM card was not in the package. I was one of the first users of the 8830 and the sales guy knew less about the phone than I did. He worked in a main store in a major market, so I trusted that he knew what he was doingn but he didn't. Why should I have had to suffer for his incompatance? Why didn't the BIG company take care of me for this screw up that was no fault of mine? Inernational service told me that even if I stayed in France for a month the wouldn't be able to help. It's easy to say that someone else could have satisfied me, but in reality they did't.

Oh and BTW, the GPS service on Verizon still sucks a#ss.they crippled the 8830,m a perfectly good phone from RIM.

PIN/ID
    ask

Never mind..