Hey guys, I know you are all great pinstackers, so please help me out... My ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

marinka624 no está en línea Stack level 2

How to unlock BB8830 to work with T-Mobile?

Hey guys,
    I know you are all great pinstackers, so please help me out...
    My husband was just gifted BB 8830 that was obtained from CBEYOND mobile network. We are on T-Mobile network, and so I was wondering how to unlock this BB to work with T-Mobile?
    Thanx in advance

-Marina
    ~via smartphone wap.pinstack.com~

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    The GSM radio on the 8830 only supports the 900/1800 GSM bands, last I checked, so if you unlock it, you won't be able to use it on a US carrier.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

Hi Thyth,
    The person that gave my husband that phone was using it here in US...r u saying than that CBEYOND is not a US carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    The GSM radio on the 8830 only supports the 900/1800 GSM bands, last I checked, so if you unlock it, you won't be able to use it on a US carrier.
    ~via smartphone wap.pinstack.com~

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    The 8830 is a CDMA/GSM hybrid device. It supports CDMA for voice, RTT, and EVDO on the 850 and 1900 Mhz bands. It supports GSM for voice, GPRS, and EDGE on the 900 and 1800 Mhz bands.

In the United States, the 850 Mhz and 1900 Mhz bands are used primarily for CDMA2000 and GSM radio technologies. In Europe and the rest of the world, 900 and 1800 Mhz are used instead. You won't find 900 or 1800 Mhz towers in the United States, thus you can't use an unlocked 8830's GSM radio in the United States.

The GSM in the 8830 is just for international travel. That's why it's called the "World Edition".

The Storm 9530 is different, because it has both a CDMA 850/1900 radio and a GSM 850/900/1800/1900 radio. So, you can unlock it and use the device on US GSM carriers like T-Mobile and AT&T.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

Thanx!

Sorry...I am new to all of this....I apppresiate your help....
    I just did my research to see....and I think I got it....you cannot use CDMA on GSM....and there is no way to convert I guess....so cebyond's cdma phone will be useless with tmobile's gsm....does that sound right?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Yes that is correct. It doesn't matter what US carrier is involved. The ONLY exception is the 9530 Storm. It will work on both types of networks in the US.