I bought the 8830 when it first came out for Sprint because I knew I'd ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

883l no está en línea Stack level 2

How to actually use world edition? (Sprint)

Advertisement

I bought the 8830 when it first came out for Sprint because I knew I'd be going to the Olympics in August of this year. So, now it's time to make it come in handy. I know if I just don't change anything, I can use it, but it costs a crazy amount per minute. My question there is, if I don't use the phone much, can I still use the data/e-mail stuff without extra charge?

Second, I know it's unlocked and I can use other SIM cards. How do I go about that? I'm fully aware there will be a language barrier on what I'm looking to do, so is it tough? What do I ask for? Any tips?

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5
    well first of all. the phone wont actually work over there with sprints service... as far as i know... i could be wrong. but thats why it has a sim card slot so you can go somewhere and buy a sim card to go in it. so which ever company you want to use while your over there you can use it. (thats why its called a world phone because GSM is worldwide accepted)

~via BB8330 (wap.pinstack.com)~

aleano75 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!
    all you need to do is buy a local sim card and you will be able to use the device. sprint does have an international data plan for 69.99 that will allow you to use the data there as well...enjoy your trip!
    *RaeRae*

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Isn't it crazy, for China roaming it's $2.29 per minute, that's just short of $140.00 per hour of talking . Even with a local China SIM, the average is around $1.00 per minute to call back to the US.

In order to email, use BBMessenger, use the GPS and browse the web unlimited at no 'extra' charge you need to have the international BB service; keep in mind the BB plan does not affect voice use charges. If you don't have an international BB plan in place when you land in China, regular per kb roaming is $.016, there is a special price in place right now at $.002 per kb. In Beijing, although there is CDMA, there is no compatible EVDO and the 8830 is only GPRS capable, so page uploads will seem painfully slow compared to what you may be used to.

If you haven't already first, call Sprint international 888-226-7212 opt 2. Give your SIM card number to activate (I'm sure you've seen it already under Options>Advanced options > SIM) as well as tell 'em to tag your account to allow for international roaming. This prepares your account and phone not only for international service, but more importantly it will allow you to use any other SIM if you opt for that. For some reason, if you don't activate the SIM, even when you don't intend to use it, some folks have been unable to make the phone accept other SIMs .

Finally, I really suggest you switch to the BB international plan a day before departing, calling the same number as above; have them tag your phone for a PRL update and do so as well. Switch back to your regular BB plan when you come back. Any difference for the month will be prorated.

As for the phone, on the plane ride over make sure under Connection Manager > Mobile Network option > that you have selected GSM (not Global, not 1XEV) for Network mode. Since China does have a 1x Voice Network, if you don't do the last your phone will default to placing and receiving CDMA calls, irregardless of what SIM is placed in the phone and you will find a nasty surprise in your bill when you come back home if you intend to use a local SIM. If you only plan to use Sprint's SIM, keep it in global.

When you turn on your antenna once in country, the phone will take a bit of time getting it's bearings (don't forget to change time/date to the appropriate time zone). Let it acquire signal with the Sprint SIM in place, when you plan on using your BB service and everything included in the plan, if network is set to GSM, it will not work without it in place, there is no getting around that.
    You most likely will not get voice mail notifications while roaming, so you have to check them manually, I normally do that using Skype from my laptop when I have the chance.

Instead of hunting yourself for a local SIM and not knowing what you are getting, I recommend you look at cellularabroad.com and search for a China specific traveling SIM that allows you to use a code before calling to the US reducing your rate even further (local China calls by the way with them is $.09 per minute, so not bad, do read everything related to your SIM, there is a wealth of information in their site )

have fun and enjoy the Olympics
    Last edited by huracan; 07-31-2008 at 06:14 PM.

TiaBia no está en línea Stack level 2
    Huracan,

I have to say that is the best most thorough explanation of how to use the 8830 when on international travel!!!!

Great job
    EYE SEE YOU

Wow... thank you! That was a great explanation.

I checked cellularabroad.com and it looks like the cheapest card I could get before I leave, with shipping, is $85. Kind of steep... I don't know that I'll even really need a lot of voice, so I guess my question is if I'm just using my e-mail, what would it cost if I get the international BB package?

Lighthouse8888 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have a Sprint 8830 in Beijing. the Sprint BB service through China Mobile works great. When you get to Beijing just switch the phone to GSM and you'll get all your e-mail and normal BB synchronization. No problem!

You can pick up China Mobile pre-paid SIM cards in 100 RMB incremenets (about $16). You can replace the Sprint SIM with these cards with the China Mobile pre-paids. Works great for local calls. Actually you can call outside China (to the U.S. for instance) a lot cheaper than using Sprint but with pre-paids, you don't have data service. You can find China Mobile pre-paid cards at most hotels and newstands.

Enjoy the Olympics, I know I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse8888 View Post
    You can pick up China Mobile pre-paid SIM cards in 100 RMB incremenets (about $16). You can replace the Sprint SIM with these cards with the China Mobile pre-paids. Works great for local calls. Actually you can call outside China (to the U.S. for instance) a lot cheaper than using Sprint but with pre-paids, you don't have data service. You can find China Mobile pre-paid cards at most hotels and newstands.

Enjoy the Olympics, I know I will.
    Awesome... straight across? Just buy the card and toss 'er in and fire it up?

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hey no problem. You can tell I travel a lot huh? .
    As Lighthouse8888 says, just pop it in and it should work no problem. The important two things to remember is to manually set the phone to GSM mode only and that your BB service should not work during the time you have that other SIM in place. If it does work most than likely you have left the phone in 'global' mode.

That is a pretty nice deal from China Mobile, it's always good to find info like that so thanks for sharing.
    Most of the time for me, since I don't go to a single place in particular I find myself looking for all around solutions that give me the best overall price wherever I may be and if I don't prepare beforehand, I find it is not always guaranteed I will find a good deal for calling back home.

By the way, aleano said it right, the international BB is 69.99 in addition, even if you have one of the new everything plans. But if you switch just before and take it off when you come back, that 'monthly' price will be prorated to just the time you had it active for.

Have a good trip
    Last edited by huracan; 07-31-2008 at 10:56 PM.

Let me clarify a little bit. You first purchase a China Mobile SIM card that contains 100RMB of minutes. This replaces the Sprint SIM card. This gives you a China Mobile phone number so you can make and receive phone calls. You then purchase cards that look like credit cards in 100RMB increments. Each card has a scratch off code. You call a special number, input your phone number and recharge code and you are good to go. Just buy recharge cards as needed. In increments over 300RMB, your phone number is good for a year. Over 1000RMB, it is good for two years.

Hope this helps.

So with the China Mobile SIM in, my e-mail won't work? So I need to put my old SIM back in to get my e-mail and things?

Quote Originally Posted by 883l View Post
    So with the China Mobile SIM in, my e-mail won't work? So I need to put my old SIM back in to get my e-mail and things?
    That is indeed correct for the pre-paid China Mobile SIMs. There is no data, voice only. If you want to get a China Mobile subscripton plan, that is different of course.

Thanks. I guess I can just change them in and out every couple hours =)