Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi, I recently inherited my brother's BB 8830. I wanted to upgrade the software and ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

injektilo no está en línea Stack level 1

Help. A fatal error has occurred while updating the device's software

Advertisement

Hi,

I recently inherited my brother's BB 8830. I wanted to upgrade the software and get rid of his information, so I ran the BB desktop manager. I chose NOT to backup the data and then ran the application loader. The Desktop manager worked properly during the first couple of steps--checked for upgrades, erased applications. Then when it started loading the new software, it stopped (the computer made that sound it does when you unplug a USB device) and then this message appeared:

A fatal error has occurred while updating the device's software. Please try again.

The LED is flashing and the device does not turn on anymore...I imagine because it has no software on it. I've tried again and again and it freezes every time. Can't do anything else...

The BB is, as said, a Verizon 8830. My problem is that I don't have a Verizon account (currently using prepaid on T-Mobile) and doubt they will be able to help me with this.

I tried wiping out the device with JML CMDER and reloading the software per this thread 10781 ("JVM Error 102") but no luck. Still not turning on, still freezing when I run the desktop manager, still blinking LED.

Help?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Firstly, welcome to PinStack, injektilo!

Sorry to hear about your device troubles!

Have you tried installing the software via the Loader executable in the AppLoader folder?

First, reboot your PC, then connect your device to the PC. Next, on the PC, navigate to:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader

About 7 or 8 rows down, you'll see a little phone icon that is the Loader executable. Double click on that and see if it will install the OS onto your device.

Please post back with your progress!

Roger
    Last edited by RogerG; 05-19-2009 at 11:07 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    What OS are you using to upgrade the device with? TMobile doesn't have the 8330. That is a CDMA device. TMobile is a GSM carrier. That could be part of the problem.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Oops, the 8830 is a CDMA device.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Have to agree with Roger on this one because the same thing happened when I updated my son-in- laws 8830. When running the app loader make sure to uncheck backup 3rd party. It may take a couple of tries but the app loader should get you going.

jrhorner71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    @5K
    I.Agree evertime desktop manager gave me a problem apploader was able to fix

Thank you all for your replies.

I tried running the loader directly, and it froze again. I got this message

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Unspecified error encountered [A:0x00000001]

Ideas?

Tried a good 5 times now and still not working. The message now reads:

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Device communications error encountered. [A:0x00000025]

Hope this one isn't beyond solution...

Did you see my previous post? What OS are you upgrading to?

injektilo,

Try uninstalling the OS from your PC and download it again, reboot the PC, then try running the Loader executable again.

As Erica has mentioned, please make sure it is an OS that is specifically for the 8830. In fact here is a link to the lastest 8830 OS from US Cellular. Unless your carrier is US Cellular, don't forget to delete the vendor.xml file from the same folder the Loader executable is in after you have downloaded the OS. Should be all the way at the bottom of the list of files, etc.

Hang in there. We'll getcha back up and running!

Cheers,
    Roger
    Last edited by RogerG; 05-20-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Roger,

Thanks. I'll try that later today--I won't be able to do it while at work. Hope you're still around to check on progress.

Someone's always around to help!

Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled the software loader (I used the link you posted and deleted the vendor file, seeing as the phone I'm trying to fix is from Verizon).

No luck. It erases application and then when it gets to the "loading software" part it freezes, as if it lost connection to the BB. I get the same silly message

Device communications error encountered. [A:0x00000025]

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks.

Sorry about this, injektilo!

Okay, so you have a fresh copy of the OS on your PC, so let's try a fresh copy of Desktop Manager which you can get here. You'll want to do a clean uninstall of your current DM by following these steps. Watch this, though because in more cases than not, uninstalling DM will also take the OS right along with it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since you'll then have a fresh copy of the OS on the PC again as well.

So uninstall DM, reboot your PC then reload DM, and if necessary the OS. Do you have another USB cable you can use? The symptoms you describe indicate that you could possibly have a bad cable or the USB port on the device itself is somehow damaged. Check the port on the device with a magnifying glass and see if there are any noticably bent pins. If so, you might want to whack your brother over the head with it! Seriously, check those things out and let us know.

Cheers,
    Roger

Thanks, Roger! Will try that. Again, I'll have to wait until the evening...

I doubt the USB ports have a problem. Rather, it might be that I am using parallel desktop on a mac and it could be that for some reason the USB interface encounters a problem. I doubt it though--I successfully used the DM on my old BB Pearl. I had no problem updating the software on that device.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast