OK, I am thinking that I have a bad 8830. I have done some looking ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

floridadomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317ce3cd

Help!! Bad 8830???? Help!!!!

Advertisement

OK, I am thinking that I have a bad 8830. I have done some looking in here and I need some help/guidance.

First here is what’s going on:

I just got my 8830 through Alltel five days ago. Yesterday I started having issues where my call logs would delete itself. I could get a call and within seconds, the log would be gone. In addition, all of my SMS text logs were gone and I could not receive any SMS messages. I called Alltel and she stated that it sounded like a memory leak. She said I was her first call with a 8830. She stated she had a lot with the pearl but none with the 8830. I did the battery pull and so far so good….maybe????

I have deleted all themes and 3rd party apps that I do not use. I also deleted the sample video.
    I really don’t have but maybe 5 3rd part apps left. Here are my stats:[/FONT]

File total – 47841280 bytes
    File Free – 11958597 bytes

By my calculations this only 45 megs. I thought this had 64 megs?
    After all of the clearing out, only 11 megs free.

What would you all do? Is this a bad unit with only 45 megs total memeory? Should I wipe it out or just take it back.

I really need some help on this one!!!

Thanks,
    Deano

devilsadidas no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Try to wipe it, if this doesn't work take it back and exchange as soon as you can. Don't get stuck with one of the very few blackberry's that are just bad. if you waste your exchange period tryin to fix the phone yourself its your fault.

PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Help!! Bad 8830???? Help!!!!

now also remember that no memory device be it a hard drive flash drive or RAM will ever be exactly what the specs say, they can only get close to it. yes yours does seem low and you may want to exchange it for another as it is your right as long as you know your exchange period. personally mine says file total: 55443456 bytes, which is 52.875 megs. remember there are 1024 bytes in a kb and 1024 kb in a meg so 47841280 bytes equals 45.625 meg. i would take it back because wiping it a i previously said probably will do nothing to help

PIN/ID
    317ce3cd

Just left Alltel. The rep that helped me also had a 8830. His alos said File total – 47841280 bytes>
    He then pulled another one out of a box and it had the same thing. He said that the memory was different on different carriers.
    I wonder if that is true or they just have a bad batch?

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

I am on Verizon and my total is exactly the same.

PIN/ID
    317ce3cd

so where did I see that the 8830 comes with 64 megs?

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~this is a common problem with a lott of the new BB I had maybe 3-4 8830s myself with the problem I know others who had the problem with curves pearls etc its really nothing you can do to my knowlege except the battery pull and a few other short cuts that only clean internal logs hopefully this problem gets addresed with a new OS release I have noticed with my new 8830 I don't have the problem anymore your on alltel so I can't really tell the diffrence in the phone model updates with sprint for instance the old 8830 had the yellow sprint logo appear during startup now the new models have a black screen with the sprint speed logo

PIN/ID
    317ce3cd

I started another thread to see if we can gather more info:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...727#post584727

Kane.....Love the Joe Cool!!!!!

PIN/ID
    ask

does it really matter if you have 45, 55 or 64 meg? true all new blackberry's are supposed to have 64mb built in, i have used mine for a while and have 6750811 bytes free so about 6 meg it really doeesn't make it any slower. the only reason i have used that much memory is for some reason i leave some ringtones on the blackberry and some one the memory card, if i took all of the mp3 ringtones i've made off of the blackberry itself i'd probably have about 48 mb out the 55mb total free. if you have amicro sd card slot just use it.

PIN/ID
    ask

you can try to change your os from altel to another one if you want, i really like using telus. but anything but ATT is ok

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

i have 35 apps plus 19 megs or so
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadidas View Post
    does it really matter if you have 45, 55 or 64 meg? true all new blackberry's are supposed to have 64mb built in, i have used mine for a while and have 6750811 bytes free so about 6 meg it really doesn't make it any slower. the only reason i have used that much memory is for some reason i leave some ringtones on the blackberry and some one the memory card, if i took all of the mp3 ringtones i've made off of the blackberry itself i'd probably have about 48 mb out the 55mb total free. if you have amicro sd card slot just use it.
    This isn't a issue about the newer models being slow and most people do have a memory card this is a issue of 0 memory and losing information

DARBy1969 no está en línea Stack level 1

I am having the same problem with call logs and SMS messages and I also have Alltel and they do not seem to know what the problem is. Did a new phone fix your problem??

aswanideep no está en línea Stack level 4

I think you must ask for replacement with Service-Provider

~via Aswani-Berry (wap.pinstack.com)~