Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is there a Navigation program loaded or available for the 8830 that will work with ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

lancer1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: GPS on the 8830

Advertisement

Is there a Navigation program loaded or available for the 8830 that will work with a GPS puck (until Verizon eventually releases support)?

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by lancer1
    Is there a Navigation program loaded or available for the 8830 that will work with a GPS puck (until Verizon eventually releases support)?
    I don't have any personal experience with this software, but the stuff at http://www.navizon.com/navizon-black...irtual-GPS.htm claims that it will work even without a GPS (using celluar tower triangulation, I assume), and might be an option for a few months until Verizon enables the GPS.
    David

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Well folks, don't get too excited about GPS coming to either the 8703 or 8830. Internal sources say they will not unbundle the GPS chip capabilities unless they find a way for the consumer to pay for it. And if they do, it will be their own application they use not BB Maps. Of course you can always purchase a bluetooth GPS puck.

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Akakios
    I assume the VZ Navigator is what will be available for Verizon customers as far as gps goes right? 9.99 a month. =\

http://www.vznavigator.com/

Is that an option on the 8830? I haven't seen the "Get it Now" option on mine. I might have replaced it though as far as the home screen and not saved the link! oops. There's also a daily fee if you chose not to have it constant per month.

*edited for additional info instead of another reply!*

I just talked with a Verizon tech guy. A 15 minute conversation that lasted over 35 minutes. He said there are NO plans to offer the "Get it Now" nor the VZNavigator option for the 8830.

I mentioned that I was under the impression that it may be out in the late fall. He put me on hold for about 10 minutes, then came back and said that like the MotoQ, it will not be available.
    As I said in my earlier post, Verizon is not likely to release GPS on the blackberry.

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Verizon will NOT turn on GPS on the Blackberry's because they do not support the 3rd party apps that use it.

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

This is why Verizon is worthless..... No way I'd be with them if my company didn't force it.

chedda_baby1 no está en línea Stack level 1

ias this also for sprint?

Are there any lawyers here that would know if deactivation of features that manufactures want in their phones so verizon can charge for them is violating any laws??

So... I talked with a rep today at the store and he seemed to know what he was talking about (Fixed my phone when level 2 data phone support couldn't). He said that the GPS chip was actually removed from the 8830 because it is a dual carrier phone (CDMA/GSM). This rose a few questions that I figured somebody might be able to answer.

1: Do these phones (8800 & 8830) have an actual GPS system like a garmin built in or are they cell tower based? He said that no phones today, even cingular's 8800, have an actual GPS chip that talk to satellites for coordinates. I am pretty sure this is incorrect.

2: Does the 8830 actually not have a GPS chip? He said that it doesn't mention GPS anywhere on RIMs specs.... I told him he was wrong, but checking it tonight, there actually isn't anything about GPS on the actual phone specifications (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...pecifications).

3: Can somebody hack this already so I can use the features my phone is supposed to have?

Thanks.

tallelf78 no está en línea Stack level 1

link: blackberry8800series.com/8830/

It says GPS, and it actually uses the term GPS, not aGPS (which is cell tower triangulation). The specs do however state "check with service provider"

i.e. Verizon is a bastard and has disabled this feature until they figure out how to get VZ Navigator working on the 8830 so they can charge a service fee. I have confirmation from VZ that this will be released later this summer.

swanky no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by tallelf78
    link: blackberry8800series.com/8830/

It says GPS, and it actually uses the term GPS, not aGPS (which is cell tower triangulation). The specs do however state "check with service provider"

i.e. Verizon is a bastard and has disabled this feature until they figure out how to get VZ Navigator working on the 8830 so they can charge a service fee. I have confirmation from VZ that this will be released later this summer.
    I have already told Verizon to eat $$$$ and that I have made it a mission to change our corporation's service to Sprint -- especially since they will sell their 8830s unlocked and we'll stick in our SIMs that we have in other countries. We don't need to be raped any more than we have been already. They will not change this policy and it is what is stated - forcing you to use their Navigator.

I think "raped" is a good word with Verizon. You really feel violated even if after you've left them and if your company is actually paying the bill. They rape your bill and cripple your phone. They make Microsoft in their heyday look generous and good.

yagdil no está en línea Stack level 1

any news yet on this
    I would love to use my Google Maps on my BB

mlynch5 no está en línea Stack level 1

I bought a 8830 on Aug. 8, 2007, and was told by a sales clerk at the Verizon store that Verizon hadn't enabled the GPS Navigation feature but I could go onto pinstack.com or howardforms.com and get the "GPS unlock code". So far, no luck finding the code... He said this in front of the clerk who rang me up. Isn't this misrepresentation? As for Verizon's ads, GPS isn't mentioned in their 8830 description in the JuneJuly/August 2007 "Verizonwireless Solutions That Work" catalogue. You have to go onto the RIM site to find mention of this hardware feature, which they asterisk to advise that you check with your service provider. Bottom line is ATT and Sprint enabled it, Verizon didn't. Some service providers have their act together, others obviously do not. Competition is a very good thing.

Vatothe0 no está en línea Stack level 2

Yeah, Sprint signed up so many people Verizon should be embarrassed.

mhaisley no está en línea Stack level 1

Has anyone tried loading the sprint firmware on the vz blackberry to see if it re-enables the GPS?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast