Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has anyone seen the latest VZW "Connect" catalouge that was sent out? It lists the ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

horst no está en línea Stack level 1

GPS on the 8830

Advertisement

Has anyone seen the latest VZW "Connect" catalouge that was sent out? It lists the 8830, with a description underneath specifically stating "built-in GPS." Did they advertise the GPS with the 8703? If they didn't do you think that they will have a GPS app available for use by the time it releases to non-business customers? I can't imagine they would advertise it so blatantly if they are still planning on disabling it.

BrianKe11y no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: GPS on the 8830

I have made several inquiries to Verizon and received mixed answers. Bit so far the bottom line looks like the GPS is only available for 911 calling. The BlackBerry Maps GPS app is a bust!

nuts930 no está en línea Stack level 2

Interestingly, if you go to Options>Advance Options>GPS, you can change it from "911 Only" to "Location On." However, after I made that change, the maps application still states there is no GPS. Anybody know what the "Location On" setting actually means?

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

It means that the phone thinks it can do Location based GPS services, however, verizon crippled something in the software to that the GPS chip will not function fully.

Here is an email that I received from Brad, a service rep, after sending an email expressing my unsatisfaction with the network thus far:

I apologize to hear your experience with us has not been to your liking thus far. My name is Brad, and I am happy to assist you today.

The GPS locator chip, which is present in all wireless phones we currently sell (with the exception of the BlackBerry 6750), is used solely for tracking purposes by Emergency 911 Services and does not function like a typical GPS device.
    Clearly a lie, the same phone exists on Sprint and has location based services. And as stated above, the phone has "Location On" in the GPS options. He then goes into a bunch of FCC BS.

Next he responds to my compaint that bluetooth OBEX is disabled. Not related, but a funny response.

The Bluetooth feature was limited in its functionality due to security purposes. It is the intent of Verizon Wireless to provide the best equipment and services possible while maintaining reasonable security measures to protect our customers, and the security of our wireless network. . Hypothetically, someone walking by with a PDA in there pocket or a laptop in a car near you could pass a virus to your phone. At this point your phone would be corrupted, and if you use a home network with your phone your home network can be affected as well.

There are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs.

Interesting. Does anyone remember if they advertised the GPS so openly with the 8703? I still can't believe they would advertise it like that without a plan to enable it on or near the release date. Weird. I guess I'll wait a while and then it'll be time to get a puck. All I want is that GPS enabled, I wouldn't mind if they didn't advertise it like they did, but now that kinda aggrevates me!

Just out of curiosity, do you think it will be possible to download Sprint's 8830 firmware when it becomes available to enable the GPS (many of us that used the 7730 downloaded Sprint's firmware so the ZEN theme would run on the Verizon 7730). Did Verizon block the GPS function in the firmware or with some sort of hardware configuration?

I'm sure once its available to the public its only a matter of time before somebody comes up with a patch OR verzion will release a subscription VZ navigator.

Also, what is the connect magazine? I haven't been able to find it advertised anywhere. All of the online ads say GPS for 911 only. I picked up the magazine in the store with Pirates on the front, but it didn't have any ad that I saw for the 8830.

It was a catalouge/brochure that was mailed to me from VZW with the title "Verizon Wireless Connect" on top and a picture of Justin Timberlake on the front. It says it is the Spring 2007 edition and it's about 20 pages long. It just gives some details about get it now and a few phones. I just thought it was so unusual that they advertised "built-in GPS" as one of the features of the 8830 when they only listed a few other details. Again, does anyone know if they advertised the GPS features of the 8703 at all? Let's hope the VZ Nav rumor is true!

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Verizon is going to release the VZ Navigator for the 8830 in the fall

Quote Originally Posted by cwakulik
    Verizon is going to release the VZ Navigator for the 8830 in the fall
    Probably too early to know, but will it be a subscription based service (not that I already give Verizon enough money for data, voice, and broadband access), or will Verizon roll it into the data package?

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

The information that I've received from our Verizon rep (we're a pretty big customer on the business side) is that the full GPS functionality will be available at some point over the summer. I tend to believe this, since this isn't a random service rep who can just say whatever he wants and figure he'll never talk to me again, but rather our corporate global account rep with whom we have an ongoing, dedicated relationship.

That said.... he has been wrong before. (Though generaly, it hasn't been his fault)
    David

I never had an 8703. Were there rumors of VZW enabling the GPS when it came out too? Or are these rumors specific to the 8830. I just don't know how skeptical to be with these rumors or how long I shoud wait on getting a puck.

MAYBE they won't release GPS because it has significant security threats like the evil bluetooth.... Yup, I think thats it.

I wonder if we would still be able to use Google Maps or BBerry maps once/if they activate the chip via VZnavigator

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Quote Originally Posted by nuts930
    Probably too early to know, but will it be a subscription based service (not that I already give Verizon enough money for data, voice, and broadband access), or will Verizon roll it into the data package?
    That's a good question; let's hope it just gets rolled in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast