Can't seem to get it to work. Won't acquire sattilites on my 8830. Called Cellcom ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

deshotels no está en línea Stack level 1

GPS for Cellcom

Advertisement

Can't seem to get it to work. Won't acquire sattilites on my 8830. Called Cellcom they didn't know anything about it. Searched Pinstack and didn't find much either. It is advertised as having GPS so I'm not sure. Didn't work with BBmaps or Googlemaps. Please help

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Have you made sure your GPS is turned on?
    From the main screen, open up the options icon>advanced options>gps>

ok the message then ensure data source is on 'device gps' and service has 'location on'
    Menu button> save

On BBMaps ensure under Options> source has 'internal gps' selected

Finally, assuming you have your Blackberry Service provisioned correctly, go to your BIS webpage using a home PC and resend your service books for good measure.

Hope you get it working.

It is set to Device GPS and Location on. BBMaps is set to internal as well. Having tried resending my books, going to have to look up how to do that Thanks for the reply though, good info.

Sometimes though, it's just a network thing and not necesarily your GPS. I already know my gps works, and say for instance just as I need to know my location in a hurry, my maps will just hang, unable to render or download for no apparent reason.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    You need to go outside and have a clear view of the sky. If you're indoors most of the time won't get a signal.

bbfelts no está en línea Stack level 1
    I also have Cellcom and have issue with GPS (can't get a lock). I talked to their tech support and they said its an issue they have open with RIM. Something to do with their network configuration - but I don't understand how there network has to do with the GPS in the 8830?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by bbfelts View Post
    I also have Cellcom and have issue with GPS (can't get a lock). I talked to their tech support and they said its an issue they have open with RIM. Something to do with their network configuration - but I don't understand how there network has to do with the GPS in the 8830?!?!
    Since the BB doesn't store the whole map database within local memory, once the gps locks on to a position it comunicates with the servers of whatever program you're running and has to download your present position map, hence the need to be in network coverage to download the images. However, if you happen to have downloaded a map of the area you're in and it's still in the cache (which is limited) and in the zoom level you're interested in, it will show it to you even outside of coverage.
    Google maps is able to locate you within 1700 meters using a cell antena triangulation I suppose, but when if it's able to 'talk' to a gps it narrows it down to 10 meters.

Too bad about Cellcom though, hope it gets resolved.

I spoke with Tech Support today before I read your post and they said that RIM had issolated the Network problem and they expect to make progress in the next couple weeks.

Though I am not sure why a network problem would cause BBmaps to hang up on "Searching for Satellites".... but if they fix it I'll be happy.

I just got an e-mail back from Cellcom Support that stated they don't support aGPS at this time...they still don't understand that its a standalone GPS...grrr! Hopefully they get it fixed in the next couple weeks like you heard deshotels...

Spoke with Cellcom yesterday and they said that RIM is coming out with a "Patch" to fix the GPS problem with the 8830. They said that RIM should have a update for the Blackberry 8830 for their network by the end of this week or Next week! Hopefully so! I'll be so happpy when my GPS will actually work!!!! hahaha. Tech Support @ Cellcom did say that when they first got the 8830's that it did work and then something happened.... so that is interesting... I'm hoping for tomorrow April 25th for a little update action on my BB.

Hope this helps someone Dunno if someone posted this yet since I couldn't see the forums.

Cellcom has the patch...its an OS upgrade. I'm running it right now. Here is the link they sent me (looks like the standard Cellcom OS upgrade page.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...AEA643A7706A42

Cellcom has the patch...its an OS upgrade. I'm running it right now. Here is the link they sent me (looks like the standard Cellcom OS upgrade page.
    Nice, it's the same Application 196 as the Bell Mobility (latest until now) but a higher Software and platform release overall.
    Let us know how it works out with the GPS.

Thanks by the way

New Cellcom OS.
    Been using it for a few days now. Got the GPS to work yesterday after some effort. Says it can't acquire a bunch of times and then it will work. Not nealy as solid as my 8800 with ATT when I had it. But it works sometimes now. Once I acquired my position with BBmaps Google did track me for a little while.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

So in reality, to do real navigation I'll still need a bluetooth GPS puck. I have the new version installed but haven't had any luck yet - I'm guessing I need to stand out in the middle of the driveway for a couple minutes to sync it up.

Well I have the same results as you do deshotels...after a few start/stops it works...kinda strange. Much better than not working at all I guess.