Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

gps is also locked on alltel, how the hell can they justify that? I can't ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

CashCrandle no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: GPS attempt on the 8830

Advertisement

gps is also locked on alltel, how the hell can they justify that? I can't use an awesome feature of my phone because why? Screw locking stuff, if anyone finds a way to get around it p.m. me I want it!

Walt750 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by victorsmiller View Post
    You said to get a gps puck to use with the 8830. I did that (a Holux GPSlim 240). I confirmed that it works just fine by using the roadnav application on my laptop, but none of the gps aware applications that I downloaded to my 8830 is able to see it. It synched without problem with the bluetooth. After doing that when I went to advanced options GPS, it was then a choice to use it as the GPS source (which I chose). However, Google Maps, amazegps can't find it. It seems that Verizon has even disabled the use of pucks!

This is not true .... I've got a Holux GPSlim 240 ... it works just fine with google.

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

It's official for me. I don't give a rip about GPS anymore with the new google maps. It helps easy the pain. I hope some of you might find the same.

jaymead no está en línea Stack level 1

mr2spyder curious to know if you ended up getting any where with the missing file on the vzw 8830 or was it a dead end

Thanks

AngryPinFish no está en línea Stack level 1

[FONT=Times New Roman]This may offer some insight into what is blocking the GPS capabilities of the 8830 through Verizon. I just got my phone a few weeks ago and had the option to “refresh” under advanced options “GPS”. I had some problems setting up e-mail accounts so they resent a bunch of service packs and that is when the GPS function stopped working. I spent several hours on the phone with Verizon and Blackberry and, of course, did not get a straight answer to my question which was simply, “Why is the feature I had on the phone yesterday not on the phone today?” The last I was told was that I would have to do a hard reset to get the feature back. But at the same time she told me that she said the demo 8830 she had activated through Verizon did not have the option showing on the menu. I love circular conversations with nonsensical answers. I am looking into another carrier before my thirty days run out. I think it is criminal that the offer a phone with capabilities that they pay people to break so you have to pay them to fix what should never have been broken, shame on Verizon. I have been with them for several years and am just becoming aware of these unethical practices. [/FONT]

zjgolf44 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    I had a problem getting my GPS navigation to work on Alltel 8830, as well. Since Alltel utilized a CDMA network as well, I assume this trick should work with you. After speaking with a couple of different customer service representatives, I ran into one who explained to me that the GPS is locked when you originally purchase the phone and to use services such as Google Maps and Blackberry Maps, GPS needs to be unlocked. To unlock GPS all he instructed me to do was to download Telenav, install it and setup an account an then viola, the GPS would be unlocked for other navigation programs to use as well. That is exactly what I did, and I then cancelled my Telenav subscription. My GPS based programs like Google Maps and Blackberry Maps have been working flawlessy ever since. I hope that helps.
    I see the samething with my Alltel 8130 phone. Couldn't for the life of me get anything to see my GPS until I installed the TeleNav trial. And if I uninstalled it completely, I again couldn't see the GPS. Not sure what happens when the trial runs out. The worst thing is the 3 people I spoke with at Alltel, and 1 at TeleNave, were unaware of this altogether.

ML2PeaceWarrior no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by justajason View Post
    Um, im on the telenav site, and it states that the software would require an additional "Puck" for a hundred bucks.

What BB model you have? Pearls need a puck but 8800 series dosent need one. if you need one I have one for sale (used) less than half that price. PM if you are interested.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234