Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

But the more realistic situation is one phone on the account valued high enough to ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Sniperet no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: GPS attempt on the 8830

Advertisement

But the more realistic situation is one phone on the account valued high enough to need insurance. The math works out in favor of the insurance:

$4.99 per month plus $50 deductible.

4.99 x 12 + 50 = $109.88

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Quote Originally Posted by cabron View Post
    Yeah, its a big dissapointment that ATT doesnt have an insurance...
    On the other hand how many BB's do you use? You sound like you have multiple..
    And how often do you loose one?
    If you pay 7 dlls monthly per phone, and have what 3 listed on your profile, thats 21 dlls a month, 21*12=252/yr
    If you loose a cell phone every year.....
    just budget 21 dlls a month to your savings account.
    I only have one phone. Ive used the others. and had them replaced.

Its still the clincher.
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

58vette no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3049D993

well with all the attempts to get it on verizon and puting others OS on to try and get it makes me wonder if it is disabled in the phone for Verizon by RIM or if it is something that is disabled at Verizon main computer that wont allow it thru there service im having a hard time believing that its got anything to do with the operating system at all and no matter how much we try we will never be able to access the right file to make it work

it makes me wonder how I can by a product that has a built in gps and pay for a data plan to use data services and they get away with it not letting it work

they want to charge $9.95 for VZNAV and even if you pay that you still dont have GPS working on your phone for other LBS programs since they just lowered the data plan pricing why dont they offer a new data program that is $39.95 a month w/gps unlocked and then if you want VZNAV you can pay another $9.95 for it they still get the 10 bucks they want to let u use the gps but u get to pick the program that u wanna use and if VZNAV is the one u want they make even more

I love my customer service when i call them and like my insurance but this almost seems illegal

58vette no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3049D993

i was reading a thread here about gps and it says to go to options--gps---hit menu and select refresh on my 8830 the refresh option is not there so it cant do the acquire satellite step maybe that is the part of missing software that is needed to be added just a thought for u gurus'

ibmman69 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32BEFCEC

Quote Originally Posted by 58vette View Post
    i was reading a thread here about gps and it says to go to options--gps---hit menu and select refresh on my 8830 the refresh option is not there so it cant do the acquire satellite step maybe that is the part of missing software that is needed to be added just a thought for u gurus'
    The Sprint version does not have this either and the GPS is enabled on it.

nospam no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: GPS attempt on the 8830

So here's what I find interesting, going to telenav site, selecting Sprint and the 8830:

Select Your Phone TeleNav works on certain wireless carriers and phones. Please choose your carrier and device below. If your carrier or phone is not listed, please
    Wireless Carrier: Sprint
    Filter by Phone Brand:
    You've selected
    BlackBerry 8830

Ready to Use TeleNav!

BlackBerry 8830 has a built-in GPS receiver which is ready to use TeleNav services.
    But with Verizon you get this:

You've selected
    BlackBerry BB8830

BlackBerry BB8830 requires an external Bluetooth GPS Receiver to run TeleNav.

TeleNav Bluetooth GPS Receiver (Model BT-359. Required)$99.99 Add to cart GPS Receiver is a small, matchbox-sized receiver that sits securely on your car's dashboard and communicates wirelessly through Bluetooth to your mobile device. To learn more,.
    I read elsewhere in the forums that Verizon had actually removed the GPS chip from the 8830's, can anyone confirm or refute that?!?

zam442 no está en línea Stack level 1

Insurance on a phone? If the phone is too expensive to replace if you lose or break it you might want to consider a cheaper phone. CDMA is awful and so is Verizon phone service, get yourself a GSM phone then you do not have to worry about vendor locks in most cases. Blackberries are designed for business users, travelers and others who can;

1. Afford to replace it or write it off on their taxes or declare it a business expense.
    2. Have their employer pay for the device and the service.
    3. Travel, which you cannot do on CDMA without roaming on 'partner' carriers in other countries for ridiculous fees.

81% of the World uses GSM. With a GSM phone I simply purchase a disposable SIM in a convenience store in just about any other country, charge it with my credit card or purchase a pre-charged SIM and put it in my phone and I am good to go. If the phone is locked its a very simple matter of unlocking it from a plethora of phone mod sites and in most cases a simple phone call to the service provider who can unlock the phone remotely.

Good luck on unlocking without paying.

My two cents

Quote Originally Posted by zam442 View Post
    Insurance on a phone? If the phone is too expensive to replace if you lose or break it you might want to consider a cheaper phone. CDMA is awful and so is Verizon phone service, get yourself a GSM phone then you do not have to worry about vendor locks in most cases. Blackberries are designed for business users, travelers and others who can;

1. Afford to replace it or write it off on their taxes or declare it a business expense.
    2. Have their employer pay for the device and the service.
    3. Travel, which you cannot do on CDMA without roaming on 'partner' carriers in other countries for ridiculous fees.

81% of the World uses GSM. With a GSM phone I simply purchase a disposable SIM in a convenience store in just about any other country, charge it with my credit card or purchase a pre-charged SIM and put it in my phone and I am good to go. If the phone is locked its a very simple matter of unlocking it from a plethora of phone mod sites and in most cases a simple phone call to the service provider who can unlock the phone remotely.

Good luck on unlocking without paying.

My two cents
    1. I don't know what kind of tax write offs you get but the IRS will not let you deduct the cost of a new phone from your taxes, you can claim it as an expense and not pay taxes on the money you spent for the phone.

2. My employer pays the insurance on my phone as part of my phone bill so for me the $5 a month is just good economics, they would probably frown on a $400 to $500 new phone charge.

3. The 8830 World Edition is a dual mode CDMA/GSM phone that Verizon will give out the unlock code for free so you can roam on foreign GSM networks using cheap local SIM cards.

BTW I did unlock mine without paying.

scheu001 no está en línea Stack level 1

GPS works great on my 8830. I use it both with the internal stuff and with a puck. I use Telenav (which my company pays for), Google maps, Blackberry maps. I have Spot, but its maps don't load (though some of the GPS features do work.)
    Try using a carrier that doesn't their devices' features, like Alltel.

PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperet View Post
    1. I don't know what kind of tax write offs you get but the IRS will not let you deduct the cost of a new phone from your taxes, you can claim it as an expense and not pay taxes on the money you spent for the phone.

2. My employer pays the insurance on my phone as part of my phone bill so for me the $5 a month is just good economics, they would probably frown on a $400 to $500 new phone charge.

3. The 8830 World Edition is a dual mode CDMA/GSM phone that Verizon will give out the unlock code for free so you can roam on foreign GSM networks using cheap local SIM cards.

BTW I did unlock mine without paying.
    I dont think that vzw is going to give anything to anyone. Thats not their motto. And if youve unlocked a vzw branded phone, you might wanna share with the others on the boards, cause thats a little sneaky, AND I LIKE IT!
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

ncc1701p no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask_me:)

zam442:

I agree with you about the GSM conversation. I was a former GSM user for 7 years. I switched to verizon because my needs changed and the same thing with the phone that i needed. I actually needed high speed expensive evdo. That was one of my chief complaints. I was with Voicestream/Tmobile but I couldn't wait for them to get their 3g network rolled out. Once its rolled out I'll go back. In the meantime here i am on EVDO-land. I loved the idea I could slip my SIM into any phone without Tmo knowing or caring. Seems like when 3g on GSM is truly out i'll go back to Tmobile. I dont like ATT. Seems like with all these phone carriers you cant have it all.

3G + wifi + GPS + GSM + this + that + iphone + stability + a TRUE world phone that works in JAPAN, etc. etc.

So gotta make due with what you absolutely need and what you can live without.

I'd love GPS on my personal phone as much as the next folk. Honestly I am tired of reading the whining from all of these VZW people about wanting GPS. I agree with them that if its in there, it should be free. But honestly as 'justajason' says, VZW isnt going to give it to you. The one thing I keep preaching to everyone is: Get a Bluetooth GPS Puck for $80-$100 . It pays for itself in 1 year. Try not to give VZW no extra dime that you can.

omlieber no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    I had a problem getting my GPS navigation to work on Alltel 8830, as well. Since Alltel utilized a CDMA network as well, I assume this trick should work with you. After speaking with a couple of different customer service representatives, I ran into one who explained to me that the GPS is locked when you originally purchase the phone and to use services such as Google Maps and Blackberry Maps, GPS needs to be unlocked. To unlock GPS all he instructed me to do was to download Telenav, install it and setup an account an then viola, the GPS would be unlocked for other navigation programs to use as well. That is exactly what I did, and I then cancelled my Telenav subscription. My GPS based programs like Google Maps and Blackberry Maps have been working flawlessy ever since. I hope that helps.
    Has anyone tried this trick on Verizon? Any luck?

victorsmiller no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    zam442:

I agree with you about the GSM conversation. I was a former GSM user for 7 years. I switched to verizon because my needs changed and the same thing with the phone that i needed. I actually needed high speed expensive evdo. That was one of my chief complaints. I was with Voicestream/Tmobile but I couldn't wait for them to get their 3g network rolled out. Once its rolled out I'll go back. In the meantime here i am on EVDO-land. I loved the idea I could slip my SIM into any phone without Tmo knowing or caring. Seems like when 3g on GSM is truly out i'll go back to Tmobile. I dont like ATT. Seems like with all these phone carriers you cant have it all.

3G + wifi + GPS + GSM + this + that + iphone + stability + a TRUE world phone that works in JAPAN, etc. etc.

So gotta make due with what you absolutely need and what you can live without.

I'd love GPS on my personal phone as much as the next folk. Honestly I am tired of reading the whining from all of these VZW people about wanting GPS. I agree with them that if its in there, it should be free. But honestly as 'justajason' says, VZW isnt going to give it to you. The one thing I keep preaching to everyone is: Get a Bluetooth GPS Puck for $80-$100 . It pays for itself in 1 year. Try not to give VZW no extra dime that you can.
    You said to get a gps puck to use with the 8830. I did that (a Holux GPSlim 240). I confirmed that it works just fine by using the roadnav application on my laptop, but none of the gps aware applications that I downloaded to my 8830 is able to see it. It synched without problem with the bluetooth. After doing that when I went to advanced options GPS, it was then a choice to use it as the GPS source (which I chose). However, Google Maps, amazegps can't find it. It seems that Verizon has even disabled the use of pucks!

PIN/ID
    242C7F74

CROOKS! I'm switching to att.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by justajason View Post
    I dont think that vzw is going to give anything to anyone. Thats not their motto. And if youve unlocked a vzw branded phone, you might wanna share with the others on the boards, cause thats a little sneaky, AND I LIKE IT!
    When I said unlocked I meant the SIM card slot for overseas roaming using a local SIM card instead of VZW's high $ per minute card.

I don't think the phone is actually locked to VZW, I believe the CDMA providers just will not provide service to a ESN that is not in their data base of their own branded phones.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast