Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

So I was reading through a bunch of your topics and a lot of you ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

mr2spyder no está en línea Stack level 1

GPS attempt on the 8830

Advertisement

So I was reading through a bunch of your topics and a lot of you were unhappy with verizons decision to lock the GPS on the 8830 as was seeing as I bought that phone about a month ago. Earlier tonight I decided to see if I could find out what is locking it out, so what i did was i loaded the new software version 4.2.2.176 Telus (not verizon) only because i heard it ran well, which it does. Then I started looking through the files and under the path
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8830-v4.2.2.176_P3.0.0.76
    i had found an ALX file labeled lbs which is location based services. I looked in that file using notepad and noticed the list of files that the Blackberry Maps program calls upon to use, and the one that caught my attention was the net_rim_bb_lbs_internal_gps.cod file because it said in the file name internal gps. So i then proceeded to the Java folder where all he files were kept and guess which one was missing... yep the net_rim_bb_lbs_internal_gps.cod

So i downloaded the ATT software and looked in the path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800 -v4.2.2 something or other folder and then in the java folder and i found net_rim_bb_lbs_internal_gps.cod the file that was missing from earlier, i also copied all the lbs related files just to be sure and moved them into the 8830's Java folder. I ran the application loader and now when I enter blackberry maps i get the Start GPS option, I haven't gotten to actually go out and test it and I don't have any chance of getting a signal in here but I hope this works if not it was only a couple hours wasted or it could be a good start to free GPS.

Thats my story I will let everyone know if it works or if it will need more work etc. Maybe I'll need sprints files for the 8830 to work? who knows?

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Re: GPS attempt on the 8830

like i read in a few posts over the internet, i don't think the gps 'lock' is located in the OS. more along the lines of onboard firmware of sorts.

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Quote Originally Posted by guyheavensent View Post
    like i read in a few posts over the internet, i don't think the gps 'lock' is located in the OS. more along the lines of onboard firmware of sorts.
    So, if that was the truth, how would VZnav be able to activate it? Im thinking that he was correct. If the missing .cod file was simply a driver source, than it might work. I cant wait to try it myself.
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

Either way thanks for the inputs this is my first post so I'm looking forward to getting some good feed back. I sent you those files to try and hopfeully they work on your end, mean while I still have to try mine and if it doesn't work i have to come up with another solution or wait for vz navigator which comes on the pearl so i don't think i can download the software for it, yet.

I just realized that the ATT 8800 GPS is mainly through telenav right, I don't have one but I just read a piece on it about telenav being the company you have to go through. If I used the COD files from the ATT 8800 it might still be locked to telenav. So i have to try find the files from a truly unlocked GPS enabled 8830 or 8800. but still let me know if it works.

nateshiner no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by mr2spyder View Post
    I just realized that the ATT 8800 GPS is mainly through telenav right, I don't have one but I just read a piece on it about telenav being the company you have to go through. If I used the COD files from the ATT 8800 it might still be locked to telenav. So i have to try find the files from a truly unlocked GPS enabled 8830 or 8800. but still let me know if it works.

sprint?!

PIN/ID
    242C7F74

I downloaded the sprint os this am. When I get home ill try to drag and drop for the gps mcod file. I figured I would give it a shot. Never hurts to try.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

On the 8800, GPS is enabled and you can use BBMaps or GoogleMaps. Telenav gives voice commands, voice turn by turn directions and auto reroute. Plus it costs an additional $10 a month.

You can't unlock the Verizon 8830 GPS feature. Can't be done. Not even flashing to Sprint will do it, according to everything that is posted in various forums on the 'net. If you keep trying to hack it, you will kill the BB and end up with an expensive paperweight.

Then Ill replace it and try again, and again, untill they launch vz navigator.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Then Ill replace it and try again, and again, untill they launch vz navigator.

Could get pretty expensive on your part, because RIM will be able to tell that you played with the internals a bit. Not really ethical either.

PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
    Could get pretty expensive on your part, because RIM will be able to tell that you played with the internals a bit. Not really ethical either.
    How ethical is it to advertise and sell a disabled device? Verizons disabling of functionality started a long time ago. And it will never stop. My ol' moto v710 was advertised with bluetooth capability, and it was disabled. You could use your headset, but nothing else. You couldnt even transfer your own pictures to the device. But people like us figured out a work around. Ethics should be discussed on the phone, with every CS agent we come in contact with.

Whats the use of cornering the market, and then cornering your customer?
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

tallelf78 no está en línea Stack level 1

lets not start a flamming war and there is no point to shoot someone down for trying. there is already too much non-constructive threadcrapping!

good luck to replacing that file and getting it working. i am sure there is some way to do this and you will have many new friends if you are successful.

keep us all posted !!!!

pattachan no está en línea Stack level 2

Every time I try to run vznav or google maps and go into audit log with alt - l - g - l - g it says app not signed by 0x33

sourcemine no está en línea Stack level 1

are you guys that impatient?

1. The GPS VZnavigator software is available for download, just login the 8830 browser, as of 11/9, as planned, the launch of the new pearl and vznav for the BB.

2. The firmware is not released as of 10:30PST.. going from 4.2.2.148 to 4.2.2.176, keep on checking on the verzion website on your pc, the website is available when you go and do step #1.

MeatLoafT no está en línea Stack level 3

It's not showing up on my browser. Just says coming soon.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast