Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I got my phone about 6 weeks ago and noticed right off the bat that ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

bmedude no está en línea Stack level 2

Did everyone with a VZW 8830 get a sim card?

Advertisement

I got my phone about 6 weeks ago and noticed right off the bat that it did not include a SIM. It didn't bother me much since I don't really plan on traveling anytime soon and it was not neccessary to have a SIM installed in order to use it in the states.

What I was wondering was if the SIM is supposed to be included with the phone regardless, or if they only provide it if you subscribe to the international data plan.

I also did not receive the calling card as many have mentioned as well.

cfrench no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Did everyone with a VZW 8830 get a sim card?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~no one got a sim included with the phone. Do you have verizon?

bmedude no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by cfrench
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~no one got a sim included with the phone. Do you have verizon?
    Yes, I am a verizon customer. It seems like everyone that purchased the world edition of the 8830 has also received a sim as well to allow them to roam internationally.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

On the CDMA network which is verizon, sprint, etc you don't have a sim card.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyRVC
    On the CDMA network which is verizon, sprint, etc you don't have a sim card.

I do believe on VZW's word phone, they have dual capabilities.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

wow, that's interesting... I didn't have a clue. Thanks Doobs

Lighthouse8888 no está en línea Stack level 1

You need the Verizon SIM card if you want BB e-mail functionality while roaming. Most international carriers that have BB roaming agreements with Verizon/Sprint use GSM.

BTW, my Verizon SIM was included but they charged me $39 or so for it.

delise no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    312F6678

I ordered a bunch of the 8830e's for my employees. They all came with the SIM card (no charge).

You should call your rep and ask him/her about it.
    ~~~~

D. J. De Lise
    delise@thedailybody.com
    PIN: 312F6678
    www.TheDailyBody.com

jaydabee no está en línea Stack level 3

I just got back from a week long business trip to France and my Verizon "World Edition" blackberry 8830 did not work because the idiot who sold it to me forgot to install the SIM card. I specifically told him that I would be traveling overseas and asked if I needed a SIM card and he said no, that the 8830 was ready to go right out of the box, just change the mobile carrier option to GSM once I landed in Europe. I called Verizon Wireless International help line and they told me that there was nothing that they could do until I got back to the states. No unlock code, no offer to express mail me a SIM enabled phone. Nothing, no options. I told them that I would be canceling service with them once I got back and that I would be porting my number over to AT&T. I also told them that there was no way that I was going to agree to pay there $175 charge for early termination of service since they greatly inconvinaced me on a business trip for over a week. They agreed to this, but I'm sure that they were lying and will try to collect that fee.

**** You Verizon Wireless.
    Last edited by jaydabee; 10-02-2007 at 02:07 PM.
    Watch what you say,
    they'll be calling you
    a Radical, a Liberal,
    Fanatical, a Criminal . . .

Yester18 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs down Re: Did everyone with a VZW 8830 get a sim card?

Nope Damn verizon......

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with information about unlocking your Blackberry 8830 to use overseas.

Your Blackberry 8830 is already unlocked, you will need to purchase a SIM card and have the correct features on your account to use the phone overseas with the GSM network. You can purchase a SIM card at your local Verizon Wireless Store, to locate the Verizon Wireless retail store nearest to you,

The GlobalEmail service is a premium service that can be added to an existing voice plan. There are two pricing options for GlobalEmail service. They both offer the same level of service and coverage in the U.S. and abroad. Neither pricing option incurs airtime charges when connected to data. The pricing options are listed below:

- Global Email plan for $64.99 per month:
    This option includes data usage in the United States, Canada, and Western European countries.

- Global Pay Per Use Plan $0.00 per month:
    This plan is only offered in combination with our $44.99 BroadbandAccess PDA data plan. This option includes BroadbandAccess in the United States. Data usage in Canada is charged on a per kilobyte usage rate of $0.002 per Kilobyte ($2.05 per Megabyte). Data usage in Mexico is charged on a per kilobyte usage rate of $0.005 per Kilobyte ($5.12 per Megabyte). Data usage in the other countries is charged on a per kilobyte usage rate of $0.02 per Kilobyte ($20.48 per Megabyte).

For more information on GlobalEmail (including covered countries and pricing) please visit the links below:

Pricing and voice coverage:
    Once you have the SIM card and the correct features on the account you will be able to use your phone overseas. If you have any question, please contact the Wireless Data Technical Support department at your convenience. Our representatives are available 24hours a day, 7 days a week and may be reached by dialing: (908) 559-4899

We make it our personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. We hope we have done that for you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or feel your concerns are not resolved, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Brian
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service

No Verizon Wireless yhis response does not make up for the fact that your sales person sold me a World Edition phone without selling me the required SIM card before I went overseas to France. I specifically asked about a SIM and was told I would not need one. When I spole with your international help line from France they told me that I could not get the phone working until I got back to the states a week later. A lot of fcking good that did me. I was totally out of touch from company email and incoming calls for a week due to you companies screw up. I had to buy a calling card at my expense to keep in touch with my business contacts.

You will let me out of this contract without an early termination fee or I will continue to point out your compabies questional business tactics in forums such as this and in your stores.

**** you Verizon Wireless.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

I sold an 8830 and it was as simple as a phone call to Verizon to have a new sim shipped to the customer. It does not come with the sim in the box (at least for indirect it didn't) but the welcome package for the customer (once they call and ask for it) includes all the info they need and the sim card to connect.

Zo

Yester18 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek
    I sold an 8830 and it was as simple as a phone call to Verizon to have a new sim shipped to the customer. It does not come with the sim in the box (at least for indirect it didn't) but the welcome package for the customer (once they call and ask for it) includes all the info they need and the sim card to connect.

Zo
    but should we be charged for it.

Shouldn't the Verizon Wireless sales people know this and not let people who buy the phone for world use leave the store and get overseas before they find out that a Sim card is needed? The phone does say World Edition right on it. For it not to work overseas after doing everything Verizon required of me is false advertising and a breach of contract on their part.

ecwis no está en línea Stack level 1

I just called their Global Support Line (800-711-8300) and told them I never got a SIM card, they're sending me one for free via FedEx 2-Day Air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast