Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So my wife has been using a Curve the last week and I'm in love ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

BBwannabe no está en línea Stack level 3

Curve Teased me, now I want an 8830

Advertisement

So my wife has been using a Curve the last week and I'm in love with her phone. I'd switch, but I just can't leave Verizon. ATT seems "okay to good", but I just can't go from "fantastic call clarity" to "Ah, at least I can hear the other person".

Anyway, I'm in love with the upgraded OS and I'm seriously considering upgrading to the 8830 (I currently have an 8703). My only concern with that phone is the keyboard. Any of you folks who have upgraded find the keyboard (or anything else for that matter) to be a big challenge as compared to the 8703?

By the way, a big DAMN YOU, VERIZON for them not coming out with a CDMA version of the Curve and just making my life easier.

tj_333 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    4c67fd2a

Re: Curve Teased me, now I want an 8830

I'm right there with you, WannaBe. I went down to the Verizon store tonight and was playing with an 8830. I was leary of the trackball and the keyboard - I love the trackball and the keyboard seems to be just fine. I typed several paragraphs on it and had no problem, even though it seems like I should - seemed like the keys just totally run together and you'll never be able to press the correct key. I'm pretty much 99% of the way to pulling the trigger on the phone once they release it on Sprint...

PIN/ID

will other carriers offer the Curve (VZW, Sprint, ... etc)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry8800
    will other carriers offer the Curve (VZW, Sprint, ... etc)
    I'll give you the answer I've gotten repeatedly:

Who knows?

In the past, it's taken virtually a year for a CDMA version of the newest BlackBerrys. The 8830 changed that, but who knows if that was an anomaly. I would tend to guess that it would be at least a year for Verizon as it looks like we're getting a Pearl at the end of the year. I'd be surprised if VZW released two consumer oriented BB's at the same time.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You're going to find answers from both sides. I went from the 8700 to the 8800. Yes, it took time to adapt to the keyboard and trackball. I personally prefer the 8800's keyboard now. YMMV.

Only you can really make an educated guess as to whether or not you'll adapt to it. Most carriers offer a trial period on upgrades. If VZW does then upgrade and give it a shot. Day-to-day use is the best way to find out.

db869 no está en línea Stack level 2

Verizon does offer their 30-day guarantee now, so it's a no-lose situation.

I went from a 7130 to an 8830 and love it. It did feel "wierd" for a couple days, but once I got over that I haven't even looked back.

Dave

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well, I ordered the 8830. I told the VZW rep I was considering switching to ATT's Curve, so she gave me the two year upgrade price, with the $100 rebate! (One more reason I love Verizon - the customer service is top notch).

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3

BBwannabe -

And how in the hell did you pull that off? You under contract? I fought tooth and nail and never got anywhere. Resorted to selling old GSM phones on eBay to make it a wash.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BBwannabe

Well, I ordered the 8830. I told the VZW rep I was considering switching to ATT's Curve, so she gave me the two year upgrade price, with the $100 rebate! (One more reason I love Verizon - the customer service is top notch).

Here's what I did:

I called VZW customer service and selected the cancelation que. I told the lady that I recently purchased an 8703 and the 8830 was shortly released thereafter. I told the rep that I wanted to switch to an upgraded BB, and was willing to switch to ATT's Curve. I explained that the cost of a new Curve and the early termination fee vs the 2 year upgrade price on an 8830 was a wash, so I'd really rather stay with VZW. So the rep said "no problem" and off we went.

I think it worked for two reasons:

1 - I specifically used the cancellation que. Their job is retention, so they're more apt to try and please the customer.

2 - I was very polite and courteous. I was inquiring, not making any demands.

At the end of the day I don't underdtand why cell companies don't do this anyway. All I was trying to do, basically, is spend MORE money with VZW.

Anyway, it also happened that the rep I got was fantastic.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

I have the 8830 and love it. Even though it doesn't have a camera it's a great device.

amoroso511 no está en línea Stack level 3

Any idea when 8830 will be available in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by li2327
    I have the 8830 and love it. Even though it doesn't have a camera it's a great device.
    Having a camera on a BB is a cool feature, but I wasn't all that impressed with the Curve's camera. My biggest problem was that it was tough going back to the 8703's OS and thumbwheel after playing with the Curve. That and I wouldn't mind a thinner phone. I think, unless I completely dislike the keyboard, I'll be staying with the 88 until BlackBerry releases an upgraded Curve type phone for Verizon. And for all we know, that won't happen until the 9xxx series.

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Quote Originally Posted by amoroso511
    Any idea when 8830 will be available in Europe?
    I'm not so sure it will be since I'm unaware of CDMA carriers in Europe. That said, why would you want the 8830 and not the 8300 OR you could probably go with the 8800 which is a GSM version.

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Quote Originally Posted by BBwannabe
    Having a camera on a BB is a cool feature, but I wasn't all that impressed with the Curve's camera. My biggest problem was that it was tough going back to the 8703's OS and thumbwheel after playing with the Curve. That and I wouldn't mind a thinner phone. I think, unless I completely dislike the keyboard, I'll be staying with the 88 until BlackBerry releases an upgraded Curve type phone for Verizon. And for all we know, that won't happen until the 9xxx series.
    I've had my 8830 for a couple weeks now and have been very surprized at how easy it was to get used to the feel of the keyboard. The true annoyance with the keyboard for me (and I"m sure you've read this) is the blue backlight. It really does make it difficult to read the keyboard in some lighting (although I've heard other people say "all lighting").

I have a friend who used to make calls from my 7130e and he would get so frustrated trying to understand the track wheel on the side, but when I handed him my new phone he said, "well! Now this is very instinctive! Even I can operate this thing!"

Quote Originally Posted by woodi68
    I've had my 8830 for a couple weeks now and have been very surprized at how easy it was to get used to the feel of the keyboard. The true annoyance with the keyboard for me (and I"m sure you've read this) is the blue backlight. It really does make it difficult to read the keyboard in some lighting (although I've heard other people say "all lighting").

I have a friend who used to make calls from my 7130e and he would get so frustrated trying to understand the track wheel on the side, but when I handed him my new phone he said, "well! Now this is very instinctive! Even I can operate this thing!"
    Considering the phone I was using previous to the 8703 was a Treo, I have to believe the 8830's keyboard is at least superior to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast