Hi all -- I will be traveling to Europe soon and would like to use ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

yikes no está en línea Stack level 1

Configuration for using GPRS data with Sprint 8830

Advertisement

Hi all --

I will be traveling to Europe soon and would like to use my 8830 for data. I have activated the SIM card and the international BlackBerry plan with the dialup option.

Does anyone have any pointers for how I will need to set up my laptop to dial out? Currently, #777 works fine in the US, but that is with EV-DO. The Sprint representative said everything should "just work", but I have some trouble believing that.

Thanks!

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Re: Configuration for using GPRS data with Sprint 8830

Have you thought about using the Sprint Connection Manager. I use that state side and it works great. Very simple compared to the dial up method since I have used both. I am not sure that it will work internationally but it might.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

Re: Configuration for using GPRS data with Sprint 8830

Quote Originally Posted by curve247 View Post
    Have you thought about using the Sprint Connection Manager. I use that state side and it works great. Very simple compared to the dial up method since I have used both. I am not sure that it will work internationally but it might.
    I prefer to use the Mac OS half of my machine, but I do have the Sprint Connection Manager installed on my Vista half. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if it works. :-)

Post Re: Configuration for using GPRS data with Sprint 8830

A short update, from Windows side of my laptop connected to the 8830 in Germany...

From Windows, the 8830 works like a charm using GPRS for dial-up data when you use the Sprint Mobile Broadband software.

The software clearly recognizes the device as one being in GPRS mode and must be using a different connection script. I was unable to get the dialup working over bluetooth (Mac or Windows) primarily because "ATDT #777" does not work.

Does anyone have any further insight in how I can go about figuring out what connection strings are being sent to the modem?

I have called Sprint International, who have been great in resolving other problems (i.e., why I was having data issues with SFR), told me they only support dial-up with the connection software and could be of no further help.