Hi I just brought my new Sprint 8830 with me to Beijing and find that ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

coolrat33 no está en línea Stack level 1

Chinese and Japanese input & display on 8830?

Advertisement

Hi
    I just brought my new Sprint 8830 with me to Beijing and find that it can't display or input Chinese or Japanese.

Could someone please tell me where I can download the OS 4.5 that will allow input and display of CJK? Also, is there a hacked version that will remove any restrictions that Sprint might have in place?

Sorry for the newby questions. I've been searching online for 2 hours now and can't figure it all out when I know that someone can tell me in probably 2 seconds exactly where to download it and how to solve my problem!

Thank everyone..

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    Alas, there is no OS 4.5 for the 8830 yet (that I'm aware of anyway!).

In fact, the only East Asia version of the 8830 OS I found was here: Tata Indicom - v4.2.2.196

Just install the OS, then rename or delete the file "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor.xml".

Once installed, connect up your BlackBerry. If it's running the same OS Version, you should be able to just add the language modules needed. If your device is running an older OS, you should be asked if you want to upgrade. As this is the latest OS available for the 8830, you shouldn't have to worry about your device running a newer version.
    JerryD

Hi Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the Tata version you recommended and was given the option of installing Chinese Traditional fonts and input. I installed it, but when I tried to select languages, there was no option for Chinese.

After this, I downloaded 8830 OS 4.5.0.51 from a torrent site and installed it. I removed the vendor.xml file, and was given the option to install Chinese simplified and/or traditional character sets. In intalled both. When the installation was done, my 8830 could display Chinese and Japanese, but I still cannot input. I have no idea why. I went to OPTIONS, then LANGUAGE and tried to change both Language and Input Language, but the only options I have are English, French and Spanish.

I checked the OPTIONS -- ABOUT to see what version I have.
    It says V4.5.0.33 Platform 3.2.0.30
    In ADVANCED OPTIONS -- APPLICATIONS it says I have installed:
    BB Japanese Characters and Font v 4.5
    BB Simplified Chinese Characters and Font v 4.5
    BB Traditional Chinese Characters and Font v 4.5

What went wrong? Is there any way to get Chinese input on an 8830? Were these phones not sold in Hong Kong, Singapore or China?
    Last edited by coolrat33; 11-02-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Have you set the device's Language? (Options --> Language)
    JerryD

voodooray no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have the same question, I want my BB to be able to read chinese.
    did you successfully downloaded the program?

( I know they are not selling BB in Taiwan)

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    Have you set the device's Language? (Options --> Language)
    Hi. Yes I went into the device's language setting menu. There is no option for choosing Chinese. Nor is there any option for choosing Chinese as an input method. Rather annoying! How can they make a world phone but forget to include world languages?

I'll go to a few shops here in Beijing. I think they must have a hacked OS that will allow me to input Chinese. I'll post what I find.

I visited many Blackberry hacking expert shops in Zhongguancun electronics area in Beijing only to find that there is NOT a Chinese input method available for the 8830.

It seems as if we will simply have to wait for RIM to release a version of the OS that includes Chinese support. But its been so long.... will they really release a 4.5 version of the software with Asian language input?

no response from RIM or anyone else?

After several weeks, there's no replies or news regarding Chinese input on 8830 'world' phone. I was hoping that someone would give me some magically good news that Chinese input was now available!

RIM really had ought to take action- they labeled the 8830 as a 'world phone' but neglected to include Chinese language support (at least 1/5 of the entire world's population speaks Chinese) so I'd say its a rather important language.

Hoping for some good news

There is no OS 4.5 available for the 8830. Have you tried as I originally suggested?
    JerryD

kingbapho no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3024BC9C
    I would love to know because I would like Chinese as well as laos and Vietnamese ,

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    Alas, there is no OS 4.5 for the 8830 yet (that I'm aware of anyway!).

In fact, the only East Asia version of the 8830 OS I found was here: Tata Indicom - v4.2.2.196

Just install the OS, then rename or delete the file "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor.xml".

Once installed, connect up your BlackBerry. If it's running the same OS Version, you should be able to just add the language modules needed. If your device is running an older OS, you should be asked if you want to upgrade. As this is the latest OS available for the 8830, you shouldn't have to worry about your device running a newer version.
    Hi!
    Yes I tried the Tata Indicom - v4.2.2.196 many weeks ago. It does not include Chinese input methods. I recently downloaded an OS 4. 5 version from the Blackberry site, but it too does NOT include Chinese input. it will display Chinese text nicely in all applications. But it does not allow for input.

I installed a Chinese text input editor called DXinput on the 8830. It allows the input of Chinese text in most applications EXCEPT SMS messages. So its not much use to me. I need to be able to send SMS messages in Chinese.

RIM should really address this issue. Its really false marketing and an oversight that they would release the 8830 World Phone and not include input for Chinese language.

If any one has luck with installing Chinese input on the 8830, please post it!!

alkwarismi no está en línea Stack level 1
    I posted a link to software called hypertap (chinput) on these threads some time ago. I have an 8830 and can input chinese with no issue. search the threads and you'll find it.