Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am deciding between the 8830 and Pearl, and have some questions: Is the keyboard ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Dustin_D no está en línea Stack level 2

Can someone answer some questions about the 8830?

Advertisement

I am deciding between the 8830 and Pearl, and have some questions:

Is the keyboard hard to use? Is it too smushed together?

Is the lack of a camera an issue? Do you often find yourself needing or wanting the built in camera?

How is the size and weight? Can you keep it in your pocket?

Thanks in advance!

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Can someone answer some questions about the 8830?

Guess 9 minutes was a long time to wait and had to ask again lol

You can go to the verizon store and try them both out. They have working demo units so you can see a real BB to tell if you like the size, weight, buttons etc. That would be my suggestion to see what fits for YOU, not what others think *might* fit for your desires.

They are not that dramatically different in size or weight, which means more buttons and harder with big fingers/thumbs.
    8130 = 4.2x1.97x0.55 3.4oz (107mm x 50mm x 14mm at 96g)
    8830 = 4.49x2.6x0.55 4.6oz (114mm x 66mm x 14mm at 132g)

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...specifications
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...specifications
    Last edited by cliffr39; 12-05-2007 at 03:44 PM.

I have been to the Verizon store, and held both, but I am asking if the size is an issue for people, and if it is comfortable in pockets because the sales rep wouldn't let me put the phone in my pocket, so I wouldn't know how it fits...

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

I'm surprised they didn't hand you one of the non-working models to pocket... but many people use a holster/case because putting it in the pocket invites trouble from pocket dust/lint. There are many threads here with people reporting dust under the screen (on 88xx/83xx/81xx) and it also doesn't help the trackball. Just a heads up.

Alright thanks.

The reason why I couldn't put the nonworking model into my pocket was because they are attached to the wall using a line to avoid theft, and the line wasn't long enough, and the part used to attach the line to the phone itself is a large plastic block .

The pearl I put in my pocket today as well as the curve, seeing as two of my friends have these two phones, and the Curve wasn't a problem at all, so I was wondering if the 8830 was a big difference.

EDIT: I also see that you own a 8130 Cliffr39, is that correct? If so, would you recomend it over the 8830?

I am having a hard time deciding, and am getting the device for Christmas, so please excuse the amount of questions I have .

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

no problem
    The reps usually have a demo unit they can show you (working or non-working - at least they do at the store I always visit) that is not attached to the wall. not sure if your location has this.

For heavy texting/emailing the full keyboard would be faster, but if you have big thumbs/fingers it will be a bit more difficult since they are closely packed, more so than the Curve is. You said you are unsure about using a camera so that would be something to decide. But you said the Pearl is girly so I would probably direct you toward the 8830 because of this and texting haha

Here are a few pics to compare the 8300 vs 8800 so you can get an idea of keyboards and sizes since you have pocketed the 83xx.

Last edited by cliffr39; 12-05-2007 at 04:17 PM.

It doesn't seem to be much bigger. Thanks for those pictures!

It sucks that Verizon doesn't offer the Curve, because now all I can see is the size comparison between pearl and 8830, which is a huge difference.

I heard Verizon does a 30 day trial, is this true? Should I try out the Pearl or 8830 first?

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

yes they do.. but you can only do one exchange (not exchanges for problems but changed-my-mind exchanges). Either one you go with will take you time to "learn" to type on it.

Alright then I guess it comes down to simply the size of the two devices, and the keypads.

Thanks for all of your help .

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i would go with the 8830 the pearl is a little to small for me

chief5860 no está en línea Stack level 1

I purchased the 8830 2 weeks ago. The only con (and a major one at that) is that the backround noise is horrible. The mic picks up any and all backround noise and amplifies itno matter how faint it is. The person on the other end is always saying it sounds like i'm at a party or something. Even the TV when it's on low volume to where I can hardly hear it, is loud on the other end of the call. This issue is posted in alot of areas here and on other sites. It seems to be a hardware problem with all the 8830's. It's bad enough that i'm returning mine as many other people have already done because of this issue. To date no fix as per RIM and verizon. I would go with another model.
    Last edited by chief5860; 12-05-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Are you stating another Blackberry Model, or another Phone in general? Or does it only affect the 8830's, and not the Curves and Pearls?

Sniperet no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by chief5860 View Post
    I purchased the 8830 2 weeks ago. The only con (and a major one at that) is that the backround noise is horrible. The mic picks up any and all backround noise and amplifies itno matter how faint it is. The person on the other end is always saying it sounds like i'm at a party or something. Even the TV when it's on low volume to where I can hardly hear it, is loud on the other end of the call. This issue is posted in alot of areas here and on other sites. It seems to be a hardware problem with all the 8830's. It's bad enough that i'm returning mine as many other people have already done because of this issue. To date no fix as per RIM and verizon. I would go with another model.
    This problem although it effects many users doesn't appear on all 8830's. I don't have a problem with background noise and neither does my coworker who has an 8830. As big of problem as it has been described to be would have killed the 8830 were it a problem with all of them. I would return the phone for replacements until they gave you one that worked properly.

tstrike no está en línea Stack level 3

I have an 8830 and its probably the best Blackberry out. It is durable and travelling internationally it works without fail. I do a lot of browsing on the net with it and it is clearly a good BB to have for that. The video and music playing platform is wonderful. This is the first BB that has not slipped out of my hand while handling it and the holster the unit arrives with is VERY VERY adequate not to warrant purchasing another holster.

The sound is satisfactory as I normally play my music in the kitchen when working or showering. It is fairly resistant (I have had it in my home sauna). It is also a very tough unit ... I have dropped it a few times without problems (a couple of minor scratches).

Roaming on GSM internationally the speeds are faster on this little workhorse.

I am starting to see a lot of my fellow corporate friends carrying 8830s.

The 8830 is the 7520 of our time.

chief5860 no está en línea Stack level 1

Yes my bad! Should not have said all 8830 blackberry phones, sorry my mistake. However most users I have talked with tried returning them 4 -5 times and all units were the same. I really like the 8830 but I don't believe in having to return a product that is brand new out of the box for the same problem 3-4 times to find one that works correctly. (Did I mention $399.00 phone). For that price it better be right at least by the second return...LOL!!! To me the product / products should be repaired by the carrier or manufacturer when they are returned. This issue has been around for awhile now from what I have read and neither Verizon (my carrier) nor RIM has done anything about this issue but continue to sell more of them. Sorry just blowing off steam. I will be going to exchange it for a new one tomorrow and will keep you posted. Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast