Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need to get my contacts to my SIM, ASAP. My charger port is busted. ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

reemusk no está en línea Stack level 3

Broke 8830 charger port, SIM card addy book and other options?

Advertisement

I need to get my contacts to my SIM, ASAP. My charger port is busted.

How else can I get the contacts off the device? I have no way to sync it without the cable (since the port is broken it wont' read it)

1) i can't figure out how to copy TO the SIM card....i see no option for it.

2) what other ways can i sync the device, or get the contacts and etc off my phone before my replacement comes?

i'm in a pickle with 20% battery left. please help!

Sprint BB8830.
    a blackberry is a tool. a treo is a toy

djbroke119 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Broke 8830 charger port, SIM card addy book and other options?

There is a way to upload your contacts to your online account with your carrier. I remember reading in a thread somewhere that in case you lose your phone, your online account will keep your contacts. I don't think you can save any other data besides contact info however.

I have a 8800 and my charging port broke the first month and I lost all my stuff that wasn't backed up. My advice is to backup often and turn your berry off until you search and find your answer. I had to go to the ATT store and they gave me a "loaner" battery with 20% so I could manually copy my data. (pain in the butt)

good luck
    Last edited by djbroke119; 02-03-2008 at 02:00 AM.
    Wifey says I'm gonna get carpel tunnel if I don't put down "the berry."

Also, there is a charging dock that u can buy to keep your battery full. It doesn't use the charging port. Upside is that you will keep all your info. Downside is that you have to buy the dock and you can never charge in your car or connect to your pc.

Or the other option is to send your berry away for repair. I considered this but it will cost 60-80$ and it will take 3-5 days. (unless you find a local place and drop it off)

I don't think there is any way to save data to your sim card. Just like me, your pretty much screwed.

yeah thats what i'm gonna do...firin up Word right now to start copying them. perhaps i can forward them in an email to my gmail account...lol
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by djbroke119 View Post
    Also, there is a charging dock that u can buy to keep your battery full. It doesn't use the charging port. Upside is that you will keep all your info. Downside is that you have to buy the dock and you can never charge in your car or connect to your pc.

Or the other option is to send your berry away for repair. I considered this but it will cost 60-80$ and it will take 3-5 days. (unless you find a local place and drop it off)

I don't think there is any way to save data to your sim card. Just like me, your pretty much screwed.

it sucks....they'll just fully replace mine for $50
    Last edited by reemusk; 02-03-2008 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Automerged.

If you have alot of contacts, I would search for the contact upload utility. It might not be free but this could be your best option.

360Challenge no está en línea Stack level 3

Have you thought of connecting via bluetooth to your computer and backing up?

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Quote Originally Posted by 360Challenge View Post
    Have you thought of connecting via bluetooth to your computer and backing up?
    I second that. A bluetootn dongle is pretty cheap at wally's.
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

Hmmm, that would have been useful a month ago.

PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Sorry. Believe me, I've wondered about what I would do. And that was the only option I thought of. Did you g end up getting a replacement?via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yes, ATT replaced my berry. I had backed it up 2-3 weeks prior so it wasnt a total loss. I kept my contacts and old emails and memos but lost recent emails and any recent data. I'm VERY careful now to not touch my berry while it is charging as I don't want to loosen the charging port.

The guy at the ATT store told me that this was a known issue with the 88XX models. Oh well.

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask

I have quite a few users that have 8830's and I've only seen this issue once. I think more than anything its user error. I will have to admit on my own personal 8830 I had dropped mine quite a few times and had a lot friends complain about not being able to hear me clearly when I am speaking but other than that I think the 8830 is a great platform.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Its not user error. I support a hundred 88xxs and see broken USB ports all the time. What typically happens is that there are two stays that hold the USB port in place and the bottom one (closest to the multifunction key) gets knocked out of place and thereafter the USB port swivels on the top stay while the electrical USB connectors intermittently disconnect. Utlimately they permenently break off.

PIN/ID
    242C7F74
    Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Its not user error. I support a hundred 88xxs and see broken USB ports all the time. What typically happens is that there are two stays that hold the USB port in place and the bottom one (closest to the multifunction key) gets knocked out of place and thereafter the USB port swivels on the top stay while the electrical USB connectors intermittently disconnect. Utlimately they permenently break off.
    You Rock! That gives us a headsup to a vulnerability that most wouldn't have thought of. I'm sure I will be a little more careful when I'm connecting my device.

thats awesome. might go buy a bluetooth dongle and backup that way.

also, will the sprint store replace this for free? i've only had the device since november.

edit: can't seem to find one at wally world....anyone got a link to one at a K-mart or wally? thats all i got around here..lol....no circuit city, best buys, nothin within 20 miles. and the sprint store is 25 miles away
    Last edited by reemusk; 02-03-2008 at 12:24 PM.

PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Well, If you got it from them, I would at least give them a call. You never know what they are going to say. The old dongle I have is from wallys. It might not be listed on their website. Ive found lots of things just by going. If you can stand to wait for a couple of days, I would try Newegg.com. Or Tigerdirect.com.
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast