Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've posted, but I lurk quite and bit ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3

BlackBerry 8830 (Verizon)

Advertisement

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've posted, but I lurk quite and bit and still learn a great deal here. Being a Tech Idiot, I certainly can't contribute as much as I learn. Anyway, I wanted to ask some of the resident experts -- my BB has been working super since day one. I come from the school of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", LOL.

However, it's been a good two years, maybe closer to 3, and I figured it's time for a new BB -- the 8830. Verizon is my carrier, although I don't use the BB as a cell phone. I was going to pick up the new one this week, but I wanted to know if there are any newer, better, etc. models coming out in the near-term? Anything planned? I could certainly wait, but if there is no reason then I'd like to get the 8830 this week.

Any advice and insight? Thank you very much in advance.

Eric
    Last edited by Tech Idiot; 12-25-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Re: BlackBerry 8830 (Verizon)

BTW, I don't plan on using the new 8830 as a cell phone either. I just use it for e-mail, address book, schedule, etc.

Thank you again.

Eric

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

Since the CDMA 8130 was just release, I have a feeling it is going to be a while before any new devices are available for the CDMA networks as the providers will want to make their sales before possibly releasing the Curve for CDMA. I'd say go for the 8830.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I say go for it! Why not use it as a phone as well? It's certainly small enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoUp View Post
    I say go for it! Why not use it as a phone as well? It's certainly small enough.
    Not to step right into it and set myself -- but "size doesn't matter" -- LOL. A few reasons -- first, every cell phone I've had, I have always used the flip-phone format. Even before the cell phone, I was just very comfortable with the old mobile phone in your car and that form factor. I just can't get used to talking into a "waffle" so to speak.

Second, I tend to live on my cell phone, and I just don't know if PDA's have caught up to cell phones in the voice/cell phone aspect yet -- quality, reception, clarity, etc. I don't want to get stuck with a "waffle" phone that I don't like, don't feel comfortable with, below expectation on the cell phone aspect, etc.

One thing that bothers me is the bluetooth headset. I've found a few that work fairly well, but I've heard a lot of about disconnecting, having to reconnect, etc. On my cell (Motorola Razr), my Plantronics tends to disconnect, and you can't just reconnect it. You end up having to shut down and turn on again -- a real pain! I've heard a few horror stories with BB's, but that could be the exception rather than the rule. This bluetooth headset fiasco has caused me, for the first time ever, to consider a non-Motorola cell phone now as well. Thanks again for the help.

Eric

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I'd say go for it as well. I have the 8830 from Alltel and I love it. From the gps to the media player, it has it all. Until the curve for CDMA comes out I'm sticking to the 8830.

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

I know someone who has had the 8830 with Verizon and they love it. She highly recommends it.

markfpatrick no está en línea Stack level 2

I have an 8830 Verizon and use it with Bluetooth and love. Best quality I have had for a long time and been in the business for over 30 years. You will love it.

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Idiot View Post
    One thing that bothers me is the bluetooth headset. I've found a few that work fairly well, but I've heard a lot of about disconnecting, having to reconnect, etc. On my cell (Motorola Razr), my Plantronics tends to disconnect, and you can't just reconnect it. You end up having to shut down and turn on again -- a real pain! I've heard a few horror stories with BB's, but that could be the exception rather than the rule.
    In my limited experience, it's a Plantronics issue. I've had two different Plantronics models, and the sound quality was great. However, they do seem to disconnect quite often. The latest one is unusable on my Blackberry beause every time a call ends (whether I use the headset to disconnect or even the button on the phone), the bluetooth on the BB turns off completely. Doesn't happen with the Jabra. The Jabra works quite well with just about everything (but the sound quality isn't quite as good).

With those two Plantronics devices, I've had similar issues with my work's Moto Q and my old LG dumb phone. So I'm pretty confident that my bad bluetooth experiences were because of the Plantronics devices, and not because of anything wrong with my Blackberry.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by applejosh View Post
    In my limited experience, it's a Plantronics issue. I've had two different Plantronics models, and the sound quality was great. However, they do seem to disconnect quite often. The latest one is unusable on my Blackberry beause every time a call ends (whether I use the headset to disconnect or even the button on the phone), the bluetooth on the BB turns off completely. Doesn't happen with the Jabra. The Jabra works quite well with just about everything (but the sound quality isn't quite as good).

With those two Plantronics devices, I've had similar issues with my work's Moto Q and my old LG dumb phone. So I'm pretty confident that my bad bluetooth experiences were because of the Plantronics devices, and not because of anything wrong with my Blackberry.
    Thanks for the heads up and insight. I went with Plantronics because of the format -- the over the ear loop (which can be turned around for either ear), and the small piece that actually goes into your ear. The Motorola's, and other units, I tried were the ones where the speaker more laid flat against your ear or something of the like. I guess I'll have to look for the same format, but something other than Plantronics.

I am very much a creature of habit -- change is tough for me, LOL. When I am not driving, or I am in the office, etc. and get a call -- I like being able to "open the phone" and talk like it's a regular phone. Like I said, talking into a "waffle" is just not comfortable for me. I'll have to see -- maybe it's time for a change (did I say that? LOL).

Thanks again.

Eric
    Last edited by Tech Idiot; 12-16-2007 at 09:38 PM.

kalex80 no está en línea Stack level 1

i got one and can't live without it

dracosterlok no está en línea Stack level 1

I have the 8830 world edition it rocks hard core best phone eva

db869 no está en línea Stack level 2

I use the 8830 as my cell and PDA and have had no issues. I use a Jawbone Bluetooth headset and it works flawlessly. I did have a Plantronics Bluetooth in the past and dumped it because of clipping and sound quality problems. But the Jawbone works great and the noise cancellation is awesome. It's only downside is that it is expensive.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by db869 View Post
    I use the 8830 as my cell and PDA and have had no issues. I use a Jawbone Bluetooth headset and it works flawlessly. I did have a Plantronics Bluetooth in the past and dumped it because of clipping and sound quality problems. But the Jawbone works great and the noise cancellation is awesome. It's only downside is that it is expensive.

Dave
    Thanks for the info Dave. What is "clipping"? Also, does your headset have a piece that actually goes in the ear? My hearing is below average and I need something that has significant volume. As I mentioned, the Motorola's and others where the speaker part just lays flat, up against the ear, just don't seem to cut it.

Thanks again.

Eric

cwadams70 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319E8B43

Hello. I have a 8830 on VZW and love it. Its the best phone I have had and have no BT problems using my Moto H320 ear piece. Go for it, doubt you will regret it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast