I know that the Sprint BB 8830 comes packaged with a leather swivel holster. Is ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

J. Thompson no está en línea Stack level 3

BlackBerry 8830 holster question, possible modification?

Advertisement

I know that the Sprint BB 8830 comes packaged with a leather swivel holster.

Is there another holster similiar to that or commercially available that doesn't have the flap that goes over top of it?

Or has anybody modified the included holster to remove the flap?

The reason that I ask about this is that it would seem to be a little cumbersome to have to fight the flap when taking the 8830 in and out all the time.

jeanralph no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c8f509
    I believe there are other generic cases out for the 8830 but I also believe that there are battery saving advatages of the flap if I'm not mistaken it acts as sensor mechanism sending the 8830 into an idle state until it is used. Honetly speaking the flip becomes second nature after the first week of use you'll forget its even there!!

db869 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: BlackBerry 8830 holster question, possible modification?

The battery saving feature of the holster is near the bottom of it, near the mouthpiece. Removing the flap shouldn't affect that feature.

A couple people on my staff have modified their holsters by removing the flap and it still seems to work OK. I imagine that at some point the elastic in the holster may wear out and hold the BB less effectively, but that will probably happen well after the life of the BB is over. One person cut the flap so that it was even with the holster back; it looks a little ugly but works. The other person took the time to cut the stitches that hold the flap to the holster and this looks much better. Your choice.

Another option is a different holster. I know you have a Sprint unit, but Verizon sells a plastic holster and a leather case for the 8830. You can probably find them online or in any Verizon store. Or check out after-market accessories at any mall kiosk selling cellular accessories. Any 8800-series accessory should work.

Dave

exciter no está en línea Stack level 3

I don't really like flaps or straps. But I have learned to live with it after my old 8700c flew out, hit the pavement & cracked the case & took a couple chunks out of 2 corners.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

larryw no está en línea Stack level 2

I don't know if the VZ holster varies from the Sprint one as my experience is the flap is not cumbersome at all. It is held in place with a magnet and removing/returning the BB is no problem, even when driving. Compared to the Treo holster: night and day. Give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I also have a second holster w/o the flap and have bounced my BB off the (carpeted) floor when it slipped out.

stressless no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by larryw
    I don't know if the VZ holster varies from the Sprint one as my experience is the flap is not cumbersome at all. It is held in place with a magnet and removing/returning the BB is no problem, even when driving. Compared to the Treo holster: night and day. Give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    I agree with larryw. I have grown to love this case..especially since coming from a Treo650. No problems at all getting to my BB in a hurry.

+1