I am a new MAC as well as Blackberry user.. I am trying to use ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Hazelidboy no está en línea Stack level 1

BlackBerry 8830 as MODEM on MAC.. Please Help

Advertisement

I am a new MAC as well as Blackberry user.. I am trying to use my phone as a modem.. can someone please help?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: BlackBerry 8830 as MODEM on MAC.. Please Help

Welcome to pinstack. What part are you stuck at, what have you tried so far?

tomtheguitarguy no está en línea Stack level 1

This is from Blackberryforums and may help you:

posted by peterparker123 at blackberryforums . . .

How to tether your Mac to Blackberry 8830 - 07-16-2007, 09:51 AM

First of, I want to say this is a great forum. I love macs and I love BBs

Although I'm new I hope that you don't mind if I start a thread that would consolidate some of the different threads about the tethering your Mac to the Blackberry 8830. I'm not adding a new information but hope to make it easier for those that are looking for the information to come to one thread that they can use. Okay here it goes.

Can you tether your Mac to the Blackberry 8830?
    The answer is Yes.
    Can I tether via USB or Bluetooth?
    I tried tethering via USB but was not able to do this but I have tethered via Bluetooth. Different posters have reported that they have been only able to tether via BT only. So the answer right now is BT only.
    What are the speeds that you are getting?
    I have gotten 220 down and 78 up. I think that this is pretty decent. It seems that this is pretty standard on VZW and Sprint. I'm not sure about the other carriers but if you can reply and add your speeds it would be great.
    What is your service provider?
    My service provider is Sprint. This was frustrating because it seemed like most post had to do with T Mobile or Cirgular/ATT and recently VZW. Based on the differents post that posters are reporting that all can tether. I will consolidate all of the info I found. Each carrier has to have a login and phone number
    For Sprint
    User Name: None
    Password: None
    Telephone Number: #777
    For Verizon
    User Name: (yourphonenumber + "@vzw3g.com" )
    Password: vzw
    For Cingular
    Still working on this
    For TMobile
    Still working on this
    Do I need a special script?
    I did not use a special script. I just followed a couple of cobbled together instructions from different sources - some on these site and some from other sites. So my answer to do this would be that you don't need a script.
    Do I need to get a special plan to tether?

Depends on the carrier.

Sprint: No - it is included in your BB plan.
    VZW: Yes - you have to add it for $15 per month. And you have to call

How can I tether my Blackberry 8830 with my mac?
    1. Make sure that you pair your BT with your Macbook Pro.
    2. Go to System Preferences.
    3. Click on Network.
    4. Click on the pull down for Show.
    5. Choose Bluetooth.
    6. Skip all the other tabs and leave blank and click on Bluetooth Modem.
    7. Click on the Modem pull down and choose WWAn Support.
    8. Check all of the boxes underneath the Modem pull down.
    9. Close out and you will see a little phone icon in the status bar next to the airport status bar. Click on it.
    10. Go down to the Open Internet Connect and click on Bluetooth.
    11. Fill in the telephone number, account name and password .
    12. Save it.
    13. Turn off your airport.
    14. Click on the phone icon and then click on connect.
    15. If you have paired your phone correctly and your mac you should see the blue light start blinking. On your phone it will ask for permission. Click Yes.
    16. You should see a connection dialog box with a send and receive bars on it.
    17. Congrats you have tethered your Blackberry 8830 to the the mac.
    Again thank you for such a great forum. Even though I'm new I hope that you don't mind that I'm doing this post. I hope to give back by contributing. I know there are more knowledgeable posters on this forum and I would appreciate any additions to this thread.

tomtheguitarguy

TMH478 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32C20FC0

Thanks for the awesome post. What is this that I see with the new Mac Book Pro with Bluetooth and Enhanced Data Rate? Does that mean we are supposed to be able to get higher data transmission speeds through the Bluetooth EDR connection?

Powerboy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32C93750

Question Re: BlackBerry 8830 as MODEM on MAC.. Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by tomtheguitarguy
    This is from Blackberryforums and may help you:

posted by peterparker123 at blackberryforums . . .

How to tether your Mac to Blackberry 8830 - 07-16-2007, 09:51 AM

First of, I want to say this is a great forum. I love macs and I love BBs

Although I'm new I hope that you don't mind if I start a thread that would consolidate some of the different threads about the tethering your Mac to the Blackberry 8830. I'm not adding a new information but hope to make it easier for those that are looking for the information to come to one thread that they can use. Okay here it goes.

Can you tether your Mac to the Blackberry 8830?
    The answer is Yes.
    Can I tether via USB or Bluetooth?
    I tried tethering via USB but was not able to do this but I have tethered via Bluetooth. Different posters have reported that they have been only able to tether via BT only. So the answer right now is BT only.
    What are the speeds that you are getting?
    I have gotten 220 down and 78 up. I think that this is pretty decent. It seems that this is pretty standard on VZW and Sprint. I'm not sure about the other carriers but if you can reply and add your speeds it would be great.
    What is your service provider?
    My service provider is Sprint. This was frustrating because it seemed like most post had to do with T Mobile or Cirgular/ATT and recently VZW. Based on the differents post that posters are reporting that all can tether. I will consolidate all of the info I found. Each carrier has to have a login and phone number
    For Sprint
    User Name: None
    Password: None
    For Verizon
    User Name: (yourphonenumber + "@vzw3g.com" )
    Password: vzw
    For Cingular
    Still working on this
    For TMobile
    Still working on this
    Do I need a special script?
    I did not use a special script. I just followed a couple of cobbled together instructions from different sources - some on these site and some from other sites. So my answer to do this would be that you don't need a script.
    Do I need to get a special plan to tether?

Depends on the carrier.

Sprint: No - it is included in your BB plan.
    VZW: Yes - you have to add it for $15 per month. And you have to call

How can I tether my Blackberry 8830 with my mac?
    1. Make sure that you pair your BT with your Macbook Pro.
    2. Go to System Preferences.
    3. Click on Network.
    4. Click on the pull down for Show.
    5. Choose Bluetooth.
    6. Skip all the other tabs and leave blank and click on Bluetooth Modem.
    7. Click on the Modem pull down and choose WWAn Support.
    8. Check all of the boxes underneath the Modem pull down.
    9. Close out and you will see a little phone icon in the status bar next to the airport status bar. Click on it.
    10. Go down to the Open Internet Connect and click on Bluetooth.
    11. Fill in the telephone number, account name and password .
    12. Save it.
    13. Turn off your airport.
    14. Click on the phone icon and then click on connect.
    15. If you have paired your phone correctly and your mac you should see the blue light start blinking. On your phone it will ask for permission. Click Yes.
    16. You should see a connection dialog box with a send and receive bars on it.
    17. Congrats you have tethered your Blackberry 8830 to the the mac.
    Again thank you for such a great forum. Even though I'm new I hope that you don't mind that I'm doing this post. I hope to give back by contributing. I know there are more knowledgeable posters on this forum and I would appreciate any additions to this thread.

tomtheguitarguy

Hello,

I recently purchased a Blackberry 8830 and own a MAC Powerbook G4. I have paired them both together and have been able to transfer files and my address book. I have configured my devices according to your posting from this wonderfull support forum to use my 8830 as a modem for my mac, but I must be missing something. I have Sprint service for my 8830 phone, but my service provider for dialup and DSL access is AT&T. I don't know if I am suppose to use my AT&T user name and password to access the internet or use #777 to access Sprint. I've tried both to no avail. With little knowledge of this technology...I assume the modem script will instruct the phone to auto connect to the correct number/service..right or wrong. I get all the indications that the devices are communicating together, especially the "Modem Mode Enabled" display on 8830....but ultimately I get the infamous "No carrier detected. Please check phone line connection and try again" error message....OK...LOL. I've even called Sprint to verify that I am provisioned correctly, but of course thet reply "if you can browse the internet with your phone you're provisioned correctly.

Humbly Hellllllpppp!

Powerboy

PIN/ID
    32C93750

Hello,

I recently purchased a Blackberry 8830 and own a MAC Powerbook G4. I have paired them both together and have been able to transfer files and my address book. I have configured my devices according to your posting from this wonderfull support forum to use my 8830 as a modem for my mac, but I must be missing something. I have Sprint service for my 8830 phone, but my service provider for dialup and DSL access is AT&T. I don't know if I am suppose to use my AT&T user name and password to access the internet or use #777 to access Sprint. I've tried both to no avail. With little knowledge of this technology...I assume the modem script will instruct the phone to auto connect to the correct number/service..right or wrong. I get all the indications that the devices are communicating together, especially the "Modem Mode Enabled" display on 8830....but ultimately I get the infamous "No carrier detected. Please check phone line connection and try again" error message....OK...LOL. I've even called Sprint to verify that I am provisioned correctly, but of course thet reply "if you can browse the internet with your phone you're provisioned correctly.

Humbly Hellllllpppp!

Powerboy

PIN/ID
    32C93750

Smile Re: BlackBerry 8830 as MODEM on MAC.. Please Help

I was finally able to get someone at Sprint who checked my configuration there, I did that by making them walk me through configuring my desktop PC which would not work either via my 8830. After the 3rd person, I found out that Sprint hadn't entered and activated my new username on their system, which is again part of the correct provisioning issues. After they did that, my 8830 worked on both the PC and MAC platforms.

PowerBoy

zen
    zen no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23d008e3

great thread, waiting on cingular (att) configuration if possible....