Hello all. I'm new here - a Sprint customer considering purchasing an 8830 to be ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

kclausen no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Blackberry 8830 as modem

Advertisement

Hello all. I'm new here - a Sprint customer considering purchasing an 8830 to be used with a MacBook. Has anyone tried using the 8830 as a modem with a Mac? I have three basic questions:

1. How well does it work?
    2. Is it high-speed? Will I be able to download music and movies or will that be painstakingly slow?
    3. Does it use up cell phone minutes or is it part of the data plan?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: Blackberry 8830 as modem

Quote Originally Posted by kclausen View Post
    Hello all. I'm new here - a Sprint customer considering purchasing an 8830 to be used with a MacBook. Has anyone tried using the 8830 as a modem with a Mac? I have three basic questions:

1. How well does it work?
    2. Is it high-speed? Will I be able to download music and movies or will that be painstakingly slow?
    3. Does it use up cell phone minutes or is it part of the data plan?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    1. Not at all with a MAC
    2. Yes...Its EVDO coverage and its fairly fast...Fast enough you aren't going to be getting major choppyness.
    3. Part of the data plan.

You need to research something like www.imobimac.com in order to use it with a mac.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i dont know what speeds i am useing but the speed of my 8830 is faster then using a wifi connection thru my dsl

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D

It will be pretty slow for that actually. 400-700 kbps. I'd recommend only doing like one or two songs at a time. Movies might take all day. And you'd want to make sure you don't exceed the "unlimited" part of your data plan. If Sprint is anything like Verizon you can only have 5GB worth of use. Constant downloads could easily put you past this amount. Resulting in cancelation of your service and your early termination fee. Regular cable internet is a lot faster or if you have FiOs its up to 10 Mbps. Anyhoo tethering should be great for casual surfing. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

portorikan no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32C1BB14

I've gotten my 8830 to work with a Powerbook before. Unfortunately I don't own a Macbook to try it out, but it was pretty easy to set up using Bluetooth. You can google how to do it fairly easy, unfortunately, I don't remember off the top of my head.

JoeSPAR10 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    317D68FE

You must have the Phone as Modem plan. Unlike other EVDO dumbphones on Sprint, there is no provision for pay as you go. It will not work at all with out Phone as Modem on your plan. I have a C2D MacBook. As soon as I added PaM to my plan, it started working immediately over Bluetooth, no sweat. However, I'm having plenty of trouble with USB. I can get it to charge, however the phone is unstable when I go into mass storage mode. Also, I've been thus far unsuccessful in using it as a tethered modem over USB.

RavenLoneWolf no está en línea Stack level 1

I did it with a PowerBook and an 8830. In terms of downloading podcasts and other intensive files, it was terribly long. Dropped connections, couldn't load more than one or two podcasts at a time. And I am in EVDO rev a. I went back to a broadband card. Was part of the problem the bluetooth between the phone and laptop? Maybe. Plus the phone can't be used while in modem status.

The card is the way to go.

shady7twenty4 no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB
    Any one have a guide for teathering a 8130?