I'm seeing two different phones with the same name. People refer to the curve as ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

BB curve and BB 8830

Advertisement

I'm seeing two different phones with the same name. People refer to the curve as 8830 but seems there is BB 8830 out there which looks completely diffrent. can anyone clear this up.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: BB curve and BB 8830

The Curve is the 8300, which is on the right. http://www.blackberrycurve.com/
    Not sure the 8830 was given a name?! http://www.blackberry8800series.com/8830/

edit: funny how Verizon and Sprint both have pages up for their 8830's, but Cingular not only has no page, but also can't even announce the 8300.
    http://estore.vzwshop.com/blackberry/ http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=16300
    Last edited by cliffr39; 05-19-2007 at 11:28 AM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

Curve spaced out its keys very nicely. my fat thumbs tend to slide to a neighboring key on the 8800 and the 8830 seems to have same qwerty positioning. although im somewhat used to it

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

The 8830 is the CDMS+GSM version of the 8800 which is strictly GSM.

The 8300/Curve is a different device again GSM only but has additional features but doesn't have built in GPS.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kwyjibo no está en línea Stack level 2

Does anyone know how this cdma/gsm is going to work? My GSM phone works fine overseas (I've gotten network names from T-Mo to use that they have reciprocal deals with), but, since I don't know of any partnerships verizon has, will you just have to get a prepayed SIM with a different number? And how will data work on a bes server if it is essentially a different phone profile? (I have to call my admin to get my phone re-added to our server every time I do a system upgrade - I can't imagine how this would be administered!)

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by kwyjibo
    Does anyone know how this cdma/gsm is going to work? My GSM phone works fine overseas (I've gotten network names from T-Mo to use that they have reciprocal deals with), but, since I don't know of any partnerships verizon has, will you just have to get a prepayed SIM with a different number? And how will data work on a bes server if it is essentially a different phone profile? (I have to call my admin to get my phone re-added to our server every time I do a system upgrade - I can't imagine how this would be administered!)
    Since Vodafone owns part of Verizon or at least did at one time, I assume they have roaming agreements for their networks. I would imagine it will be automatic. And the data transitions will be transparent.

But this is all speculation.

Rcbjr

IndoorGK00 no está en línea Stack level 2

They are truly two DIFFERENT phones. When i was at WES I was able to hold a CURVE in my hand and it was like the heavens were singing! Finally a GREAT form factor, keys are cut a special way that makes them easier to type on than the 8800 and built in spellcheck!!! But why, I will never know, NO GPS.

The 8830 is touted as the World Phone for the CDMA carriers because in runs CDMA in the states and has a sim slot. THis is how I understand it. Since Verizon has a partnership with Vodafone their 8830 is locked for Vodafone. The Sprint 8830 will be an unlocked phone over seas and will take any carriers SIM.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

And how will data work on a bes server if it is essentially a different phone profile?
    BES is tied to the PIN of the device. Changing the SIM doesn't matter. I can -- and have -- even pop in a TMO SIM with a BES BB data plan into my at&t 8800 and BES will continue to deliver mail and sync OTA without any interruption.

An OS upgrade is an entirely different case. Yes, you always have to reactivate after an upgrade.

Does anyone know how this cdma/gsm is going to work? My GSM phone works fine overseas (I've gotten network names from T-Mo to use that they have reciprocal deals with), but, since I don't know of any partnerships verizon has, will you just have to get a prepayed SIM with a different number?
    Verizon does have agreements. You'd have to unlock your 8830 to use a prepaid SIM. You wouldn't get any data services though unless you can find a carrier that offers BB data on prepaid (there's maybe one that does IIRC).
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-20-2007 at 02:45 AM.