Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes i want to remove the verizon OS because it has locked features like media ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

El Tompa no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

Yes i want to remove the verizon OS because it has locked features like media card support,bluetooth,password...

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    To take care of the media card prompt when connected to PC Desktop Manager, go to Options>Media Card>Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected>set to No. Also, set Mass Storage Support to No.

You can hide the BlueTooth icon if you don't want to use it or go to Options>BlueTooth>Enable (or Disable) BlueTooth.

You can disable the Password by going to Options>Security Options>General Settings>Password and change it to Disabled.

I don't need CDMA network,i need GSM,the BB 8830 WE is CDMA/GSM mobile so it will work in my country,i just need original os not the one from Verizone who will be capable to run my T-MOBILE sim card, but I have problems with updating it

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    To take care of the media card prompt when connected to PC Desktop Manager, go to Options>Media Card>Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected>set to No. Also, set Mass Storage Support to No.

You can hide the BlueTooth icon if you don't want to use it or go to Options>BlueTooth>Enable (or Disable) BlueTooth.

You can disable the Password by going to Options>Security Options>General Settings>Password and change it to Disabled.
    All options are blocked (disabled) by a system administrator so I can't do anything.

YOU CANNOT load a GSM OS on a CDMA device.

Quote Originally Posted by El Tompa View Post
    All options are blocked (disabled) by a system administrator so I can't do anything.

This means the device is on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server with an IT policy in place.

inc188 no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ok man

You are very confusing.

First of all, YOU CAN NOT LOAD A GSM BB OS ON A CMDA BB. Is this clear?

As for loading the telus os. Please do a search here for loading os.

If you are going to load the telus os, you need to delete the Vendor.xml file on your comp. Once again, do a search here & it will show you how.

I hope this helps

Cheers

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    All right now, remember it can be confusing trying to make sense of what can work where and what sometimes.

El Tompa,

a)downloading the OS from a particular provider does not 'unlock' features for a blackberry that are offered by another provider's device.

b) if you do use the OS from another provider, it has to be for the same device model you have, so for the 8830, it can only come from another provider that has the 8830 (alltel, bell, sprint, telus, us cellular are the major ones).

c)using the OS from a particular provider will do nothing for the reception of service for said provider neither better nor worse, so using the OS for Sprint will not give me better Sprint reception on an Alltel phone, etc. (for those that know more about this subject, this last ignores the locked/unlocked issues with CDMA providers, so don't blow a fuse)

Unfortunately, although your 8830 works with GSM as you state, and it is referred to as a World phone, it is geared primarily for use with a North American CDMA provider, to be used as a roaming* phone when it is taken outside of North America and a CDMA signal is not available. If you haven't noticed already, take a look and you will find the 8830 is only sold by North American CDMA providers. What this means for you is that you will find some features on your phone not supported when used in GSM mode.

You are better off selling your 8830, and finding an 8820 or an 8800 to replace it.

*EDIT> You can also pop in a local SIM when outside North America (as the OP has done), so technically then you are not roaming. Reports have been made of certain features not working though, so that leads me to believe the 8830 is not optimized for GSM use like other 88** series BBs are out of the box.
    Last edited by huracan; 06-02-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: roaming clarification

Here is an even better link that explains the capabilities of the 8830. http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...d=H0,C201,P463

Thanks Erica for the link, It looks like they have updated the site (I now see it is even mentioned in the Pinstack front page!)

And El Tompa, looking at your comment about a 'system administrator' lock up. If you do decide to keep the 8830 (sometimes blackberry love can be blind), what you need is to remove the IT policy and not an OS update. Do a search in the how to's, and at least it will give you a bit more functionality than just an expensive phone.
    I am assuming the block you speak of is not from your own company, since opening up a company provided phone could get you in trouble.

I try to boot a OS for this mobile,i tried with the Telus and sprint,but only the verizon one worked,i deleted the vendor file but still can't update with other,i'm not trying to boot an 8800 version of OS(made by t-mobile)...T-mobile os is never made for this phone(that's my mistacke)!!

And this GSM/CDMA mobile phone has EDGE,it can't run on T-mobile in the USA,but in my country it can because the mobile is 900/1800 frequency(GSM) and in North America(CDMA2000)

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_8...ition-1968.php

Quote Originally Posted by huracan View Post
    Thanks Erica for the link, It looks like they have updated the site (I now see it is even mentioned in the Pinstack front page!)

And El Tompa, looking at your comment about a 'system administrator' lock up. If you do decide to keep the 8830 (sometimes blackberry love can be blind), what you need is to remove the IT policy and not an OS update. Do a search in the how to's, and at least it will give you a bit more functionality than just an expensive phone.
    I am assuming the block you speak of is not from your own company, since opening up a company provided phone could get you in trouble.
    Yes,i wanted that,thansk to everyone,you're the best!!!!
    Last edited by El Tompa; 06-02-2008 at 04:25 AM.

Very nice, hope you get it to work to your liking.
    I've heard reports of people being unable to make the GPS and SMS (text), among a few things, work properly under GSM. It could very well be capabilities of the local network being used, so let us know if you get everything working.

RIM only advertises GPRS capable (and not full EDGE). The site you posted could be wrong (then again, I could be wrong).

Good luck
    Last edited by huracan; 06-02-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling

The GPS is locked by verizon,and you can't use the internal GPS on Verizon

keypey no está en línea Stack level 1

Tompa Pomagaj

Imam isti problem. Da li si uspio rjesiti?
    Pozzz

I have same problem. Did You resolve it?
    THX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12