I recently purchased a BB 883O World Edition (Sprint) and was in India a month ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

gautamnkapur no está en línea Stack level 1

Question BB 8830 in India

Advertisement

I recently purchased a BB 883O World Edition (Sprint) and was in India a month ago, when I popped in my Airtel SIM card and the phone did not recognize the SIM (which worked on other phones). The screen shows: "invalid SIM card" and the radio antenna shows "SOS".

Not sure what has to be done in order for me to use voice and dat on a local India SIM card while I am there.

Can someone help.
    Last edited by gautamnkapur; 10-12-2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Additional Information

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Did you activate the provided SIM that came with the phone by calling sprint?
    It is necessary even if you never intend to use it.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    You need to talk to Sprint to see if they do SIM locking for their 8830's or not. If they're only allowing SIM's with companies they have IIF roaming agreements with, then you need to see if there's a carrier in India they do have an agreement with. (IIF roaming allows the GSM connection to be tunneled back to your CDMA carrier (Sprint), after which the connection is made to BlackBerry).

The alternative, if they don't have an IIF roaming partner in India is to get them to give you an unlock code for the phone. Then you'll be able to use any GSM SIM (provided it has BlackBerry service) when you're traveling around the world. The rub in this case is this in non-IIF roaming.

With IIF roaming, your CDMA carrier also has the capability to tunnel the voice connection, so your calls actually go back through their US network. (and when people call your home cell number, you receive the calls).

Hope this helps...

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sprint advertises the 8830 as being unlocked.
    Unfortunately the small print is that you have to activate their SIM (the one that comes with the phone) card first and only then will it accept other SIM cards.

Whether that means they have to unlock-it for you or the step is necessary for the proper IIF tunneling.

There is a thread where rick325 was able to port his 8830 to an india provider and back when he returned to the states. Please read between the lines on it though that the Service line in India remains active (accruing charges) concurrent with his US sprint service.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=78244

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ah, ok...sounds like Sprint has done something with the device to possibly only allow IIF (no Non-IIF). What they were talking about on the other thread (setting your BIS account pin to zero) isn't ideal (you still want to use the same BIS account when on the other GSM carrier - I mean, why would you want to change it???). It sounds like Sprint isn't actually enabling IIF for the devices unless you populate their SIM into the device first - probably on first registration it flips a flag on the device that permits it to use GSM natively.

Odd...makes you wonder what benefit they feel they're doing by doing this.

gautamnkapur no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks. I will check into this.