I'm a longtime Verizon customer. 3 years ago I got a BB7230 from TMO for ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

swatts1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Anyone actually use their VZW 8830 in Europe?

Advertisement

I'm a longtime Verizon customer. 3 years ago I got a BB7230 from TMO for travel in Europe and we've used it 5 or 6 times with no problems whatsoever. I purchased the VZW 8830 this week for an upcoming trip to Europe. My question is - has anyone actually been to Europe and used the phone under the Verizon Global plan? I want to know if the voice and data connectivity was reliable....

lowesclubmaker no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Anyone actually use their VZW 8830 in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by swatts1
    I want to know if the voice and data connectivity was reliable....
    Worked flawlessly for me in Germany, UK, Netherlands and Israel. I did make a call to verizon before leaving to make sure everything was setup and enabled. Based on the questions they asked (SIM card #, etc), I'm guessing it wasn't, but it worked perfectly while there.

Now, I still don't know what I'm in for when the bill comes........

cypher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    876-5309

Quote Originally Posted by lowesclubmaker
    Can I just use a pre-paid SIM card? Or from any carriers in Europe? I don't like suprises.

Seanmtx no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by cypher
    Can I just use a pre-paid SIM card? Or from any carriers in Europe? I don't like suprises.

Nope.

You have to use Verizon's SIM card with their global plan.

Look at $25-$30 for the card, $65/month for the global email plan (replaces the previous data plan, not in addition to) and varying rate per min.

kaleb101 no está en línea Stack level 2

Im still confused how they are allowed to do this. Why dont the EU rules on roaming apply to US phones while in europe? The limit set is 33p which is 65 US cents, yet verizon charges 1.29 a minute. I dont get how thats allowed to happen.

swatts1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by lowesclubmaker
    Worked flawlessly for me in Germany, UK, Netherlands and Israel. I did make a call to verizon before leaving to make sure everything was setup and enabled. Based on the questions they asked (SIM card #, etc), I'm guessing it wasn't, but it worked perfectly while there.

Thanks very much for this info. We actually email more than we use the voice features, but it is nice to have. I hope to be happy enough with the VZW service that I can drop TMobile when I return. I KNOW the older BB works fine in Europe.

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Quote Originally Posted by kaleb101
    Im still confused how they are allowed to do this. Why dont the EU rules on roaming apply to US phones while in europe? The limit set is 33p which is 65 US cents, yet verizon charges 1.29 a minute. I dont get how thats allowed to happen.
    That's an excellent point that I had never considered before. Hmmm... perhaps someone might put a bug in the EU's ear for THEM to inquire. = )