I visited the Bahamas last week and to my dismay, I could not get my ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Alltel 8830 Unlocking question

Advertisement

I visited the Bahamas last week and to my dismay, I could not get my 8830 to work. I tried using several SIM cards from their wireless carrier, BTC, with no luck. After calling Alltel customer support, I still am unclear whether or not the 8830 is actually locked. Alltel has an international partner they recommend we use, which is WorldComm. I spoke with WorldComm customer support in addition to Alltel's customer support and received conflicting responses as to whether or not the Alltel 8830 is locked to only accept WorldComm's SIM cards. Some tech support people told me that the phone is locked to only work with WorldComm's SIM cards, while others said that Alltel does not lock the phone and that any SIM card from a carrier that operates on the 900/1800 Mhz frequencies should work. I am trying to figure out what I need to do in order to be able to use my phone abroad in the future. Thanks in advance for any help.

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Did you program the phone before you left stateside? I know with Verizon user they will have to press *228 option 2 before leaving and after entering the states and *2 for Sprint users as well. I've never used Alltel but I would imagine that you would have to do the same thing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BES Noob View Post
    Did you program the phone before you left stateside? I know with Verizon user they will have to press *228 option 2 before leaving and after entering the states and *2 for Sprint users as well. I've never used Alltel but I would imagine that you would have to do the same thing as well.
    Hmm??? I have never even heard of programming the phone before leaving the country, so to answer your question, no, I didn't try that. I do not know Alltel's programming code, so I would need to get that. But when my plane landed in Atlanta and I turned my phone back on, I did not have to type in a code to get the service to work again, all I had to do was power the phone on and it seemed to "automatically" find the network again.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    The reason why the carrier asks you to do the programming once again when you arrive back is they don't want you to get your phone using a foreign antenna such as people that live up north or close to the south. If that were the case you would still be charged long distance charges if it is still pulling from a foreign antenna for example someone living in MI. and they came back from Canada and was still able to pull a signal from the antenna in Canada. You would be charged for long distance even though you were in the states.

evanpelt no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    318278B3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~with verizon you're required to use their partners GSM sim card.Vodafone or however you spell it. Not any sim card will work. The 8830 is not truly unlocked for this reason. It should work without updating your raoming. My 8830 has worked fine there, jamaica and Holland. You're carrier may have the same agreement with another carrier such as Verizon. Food for thought.... Good.luck and enjoy the Bahamas. Take the lady to the straw mart for gifts. She will love ya for it. If you're a guy!!!

evanpelt no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    318278B3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Sorry! Reread the post and thought you were still in the Bahamas....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    No problem. Thanks for your help. WorldComm is Alltel's GSM provider but some Alltel techs have told me that any SIM card on a 900/1800 GSM network. I am still unsure though. And I am a guy. LOL!!

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Alltel code is the same...*228, opt 2.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Quote Originally Posted by evanpelt View Post
    It should work without updating your roaming.
    Keep in mind this is his first time out of the country with the int'l voice and data added you do need to do it but after that it is not required only if you want to upgrade any new features or make sure you are not pulling from a foreign antenna.