I just purchased my first BB, the 8830, coming from a treo 650.. hoping some ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

TheLincster no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Alltel 8830 - No browser service ?? something rather

Advertisement

I just purchased my first BB, the 8830, coming from a treo 650.. hoping some of the great people here can assist me.

My 8830 doesn't show the browser on the menu screen. Taking the long way around to the "switch application menu", I can bring the browser up, but it won't load a thing. It says something about missing "service books?" or something like that. How can I fix this on my own as I believe that Alltel is probably taking this off on purpose and won't want to put it on. I know that I can connect to the internet. I have the unlimited data plan and with opera mini, I can load pages, but I can't do everything that I would like without using the built-in browser.

Also, I can't use email, unless it's the enterprise exchange email, and I don't use that. I would like to just use my own email accounts and check them, but under set-up it doesn't give me the option to set up any other type of email.. although it shows it on the blackberry tutorial. Probably the "service book" issue again.

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated..

The Lincster

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Alltel 8830 - No browser service ?? something rather

Try this and see if it helps you
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...vice_book.html

And welcome to the site

Cliffr39,

Hello, and thanks for the quick response. I have registered and re-registered with the network. No service books are ever downloaded to the phone. I also don't have the "email settings" icon that everyone has. I know that I have the unlimited data plan will alltel. I've tried registering with blackberry, but after much research, it doesn't have a registration for Alltel BB's.

I know that this issue with the BB is probably worn out and similar threads are spread out through PS, but I do appreciate the help. Anymore ideas??

The Lincster

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Try this link http://www.alltel.blackberry.com/ see if you can log in, if so you can resend your service book on the left side.
    if you need there is a button to create an account there.

Tried that a few hours ago. It says that my PIN and ESN is "..registered with a different service provider, please check your PIN and ESN and the URL provided by your service provider.." - well, something to that effect.

I WATCHED the alltel guy break the seal on my box, so I know that the phone is new and not returned by some JA switchin' out phones. And, I was never provided a URL by my service provider. When going to "owners lounge" at BB.com, and then Useful Info/Software, you get a list of providers, but not Alltel.

FROM BB.COM

Keep your BlackBerry® smartphone at its best with software updates unique to your BlackBerry smartphone. To get started, select your wireless service provider from the list below.* If you do not see your wireless service provider listed below, or you live outside North America, please visit their web site directly.
    • Verizon
    • AT&T
    • Spring/Nextel
    • T-Mobile
    • TELUS
    • Bell
    • Rogers
    They all lead to the same site that you just tried to lead me to..

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

with that message I would call in to Alltel's Customer Service and speak with their BB support team. Perhaps another here might have a suggestion, but that might be the best route at this point, if the BB site says your pin is with another provider.

harrison17 no está en línea Stack level 1

I work for an alltel agent and you might want to check and make sure the blackberry code is on your account. have you tried going into your advanced options menu, host routing table, hitting the menu button and selecting register now?

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by harrison17 View Post
    I work for an alltel agent and you might want to check and make sure the blackberry code is on your account. have you tried going into your advanced options menu, host routing table, hitting the menu button and selecting register now?
    Good thinking but in Post #3 he said he re-registered with the network and later reported the error of "...registered with another service provider..." so it could be something crazy like the PIN might be locked out with another account on a different provider and that account doesn't have data services, while his account does.

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

I also have an Alltel BB 8830, so I think that I can be of some assistance. I had a similar problem with my phone when I first got it because Alltel was switching systems and the Browser didn't show up. I just called customer service and they sent browser and enterprise activation icons over the air. Then all I had to do was update the service books. So I would just recommend that you call customer service and see what they can do.

e0119598 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32c7c00c

i actually work for alltel and since blackberry runs off of its own os you have to manually add the service books...you can either go to options, then advanced options, then click on applications and it will install the browsre and everything else that deals with internet use.........or on a computer you can go to alltel.blackberry.com and register your bb that way......that site also lets you set up any personal e-mail accounts you may want to sync w/ your bb........ex. yahoo,hotmail,aol,etc.......and with the data plan that you have you can still sync e-mail with it......you definately dont have to have the enterprise plan...whoever told you that was feeding you some bs.......anyway if you need anything else let me know...i work for alltel,and i also use the 8830....hope that helped out a bit